Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Home Port: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Bellesa
Default Looking for "Spirit of Rema"

Some friends of the crew of Spirit of Rema are worried about their friend Eddie Anker. He is in his 70's, is sailing solo leaving from Maderia to South America (possibly Brazil). He has not been heard from since 26 October 2011.

If anyone has any information please post and I can pass it on.

Thank you.

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #2

Home Port: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Bellesa

Eddie has been located.

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Napier
Default Spirit of Rema.

Hi all, I can pass messages along to Edward Anker when he next contacts me. Edward and I have been friends for a number of years, since Edward made Napier New Zealand his 'return to base' home port.
After leaving here where he lived with our family, a few months ago, he headed back to the region of Cape Town with 'further sailing plans'
Like others, I have a high opinion of Edward and I and my family care for his wellbeing but also respect his passion and tenacity to carry on doing what he is doing.
Edward, preferring to do something before mentioning plans in his usual modest and gentlemanly fasion will no doubt contact me at his next port of call.
Good sailing, in all its forms to all sailors.

Regards, John B (Saltyrope.)

Panther 101
Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyrope View Post
Hi all, I can pass messages along to Edward Anker when he next contacts me. Edward and I have been friends for a number of years, since Edward made Napier New Zealand his 'return to base' home port.
After leaving here where he lived with our family, a few months ago, he headed back to the region of Cape Town with 'further sailing plans'
Like others, I have a high opinion of Edward and I and my family care for his wellbeing but also respect his passion and tenacity to carry on doing what he is doing.
Edward, preferring to do something before mentioning plans in his usual modest and gentlemanly fasion will no doubt contact me at his next port of call.
Good sailing, in all its forms to all sailors.

Regards, John B (Saltyrope.)

Panther 101
Edward left Hout Bay on 26th December 2012 in his engineless H28 Spirit of Rema. He had a possible entry point in Australia of Albany. Ilse Saint Paul is 'on the way'. A request is sent to all voyagers and others to forward any sightings or news of Edward Anker. Thank you. All the best. John Burns
Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: land locked, but dreaming
Default Update - April 30th 2013

This update from the group of Eddies longstanding friends, who are concerned for his whereabouts:-
Eddie left South Africa, (Hout Bay) mid January 2013. We had communication from him after Christmas, before he left, in which he said that he would not give us his exact date of leaving, because he didn't want us 'get into a state' if he didn't show up in what we thought was a reasonable time period.
He was headed for Australia with plans to hit land in the area of Cape Leeuwin, before moving on to Albany.
We have contacted Australian authorities and as of today, they tell us that he has not registered as having entered Australia.
As far as we can see, the only possible landfall between South Africa & Australia is the group of French held islands, which includes Isle St Paul & Isle Amsterdam. Whether he made a stop there we don't know.
It is one of our concerns that, in our opinions, Eddie does not carry enough fresh water with him, and replenishing stocks on this leg of his journey would appear to be difficult.
We accept that he has been blown off course/becalmed in the past and had to make changes to his route, but with his eventual destination being New Zealand, we can see little opportunity for much change in the route on this leg of the journey.
If anyone out there, has any news or information about his whereabouts (and we know he will not be pleased that we are, as he will say - 'making a fuss' about this) please let us know.

As an aside from this, the group of friends concerned were all boy scouts together, many many years ago. They are all now in their 70's and have remained in contact all that time, with regular 'reunions' to yarn about 'old times' and to recount more recent adventures.

Smooth sailing and fair winds to all.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Crew View Post
This update from the group of Eddies longstanding friends, who are concerned for his whereabouts:-
Eddie left South Africa, (Hout Bay) mid January 2013. We had communication from him after Christmas, before he left, in which he said that he would not give us his exact date of leaving, because he didn't want us 'get into a state' if he didn't show up in what we thought was a reasonable time period.
He was headed for Australia with plans to hit land in the area of Cape Leeuwin, before moving on to Albany.
We have contacted Australian authorities and as of today, they tell us that he has not registered as having entered Australia.
As far as we can see, the only possible landfall between South Africa & Australia is the group of French held islands, which includes Isle St Paul & Isle Amsterdam. Whether he made a stop there we don't know.
It is one of our concerns that, in our opinions, Eddie does not carry enough fresh water with him, and replenishing stocks on this leg of his journey would appear to be difficult.
We accept that he has been blown off course/becalmed in the past and had to make changes to his route, but with his eventual destination being New Zealand, we can see little opportunity for much change in the route on this leg of the journey.
If anyone out there, has any news or information about his whereabouts (and we know he will not be pleased that we are, as he will say - 'making a fuss' about this) please let us know.

As an aside from this, the group of friends concerned were all boy scouts together, many many years ago. They are all now in their 70's and have remained in contact all that time, with regular 'reunions' to yarn about 'old times' and to recount more recent adventures.

Smooth sailing and fair winds to all.
Do you think that these these contacts are worth following up?

International Boat Watch Network - (Archives - 2013)

Regards, John
Old 05-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Thanks John, that may be an idea, I will put it to the rest of 'the gang' to see what they think.
Will keep in touch, and hope that he turns up somewhere.
cheers for now.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Default Update

Hi all
I've managed to confirm that Eddie left the Hout Bay Yacht Club/Marina, South Africa on 26th December 2012. I guess, therefore, that the email that we received after that date was sent from perhaps another area, before he left South African waters for good.
Before he left Hout Bay, he apparently spoke of the intention to make a stop at one of the (virtually uninhabited) islands en route - Isle Amsterdam or St Paul. However, unless he likes the company of the seabirds there, and has decided to stay, it would seem that he is very overdue in Australia.
I am attempting to make contact with authorities that cover those islands, to find out how we can confirm whether he is there, was there, or has never been near nor by.
All for now.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Muscle Rev Xtreme

Home Port: delhi
Vessel Name: Anil kumar

may god keep him safe and secure we could only wish for such peace here.....
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Default Update 13 May 2013

Update from Eddies friends in UK/Spain
My enquiries with the authorities responsible for the Islands St Paul & Amsterdam have confirmed that Eddie/Spirit of Rema have not been seen at the islands, and that no request to land on the islands was received from him.
Apparently these authorities have also contacted those on the archipelagos Crozet & Kerguelen and he doesn't seem to have been seen there either, but they have advised vessels in the area of the situation and asked them to - what we might call - 'keep an eye out'.
We await further news - of any kind.

Fair winds to you all. Eddies 'gang'
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Default Update 5th June 2013

We have now passed the 5 month mark, since anyone has had any communication from Eddie.
Since the last update, more messages have been posted on other webpages, (I'm sure that some of you have come across them) but still no sign of him.
If anyone has any news of him.. we'll be glad to hear it.
Saludos para todos.. and fair winds for all of you.
'Eddies gang'
Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: stockbridge
Default Eddie's family

Hi all, I am Eddies cousin Neale I live in the UK, I stumbled on this thread whilst searching the web for information about Eddie, naturally myself and the rest of the family are concerned as we too have heard nothing since he left Hout Bay. I would be very grateful for any information should anyone hear anything. You can contact me via this forum or via my daughters twitter account- @BelPenfound
It's good to know Eddie has friends out there who are looking out for him I am grateful to you all.

regards Neale Penfound.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Hi Neale,
I will send you a PM via this webpage with some contact details. We still have no news I'm afraid.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Lieutenant

Default Six months today

It is 6 months today since Eddie left Hout Bay, and since anyone has heard from him.
I have ascertained, today, through contact with Australian Customs that he has NOT 'entered' Australia, and so we can only assume (and hope) that he is still somewhere between South Africa & Australia.
I have also emailed the various authorities, previously contacted, to ask whether they have had any sightings of him, or.... ? and I now wait their replies.
If anyone is venturing on the same route ('straight across' from SA to Aus) please keep an eye out for him.
We await news, of any sort.
cheers all... 'Eddies gang'
Old 06-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #15
Ensign

Update on Ed Anker and Spirit of Rema equipment. Ed carries two computers with world charts, a hand held VHF, a hand held GPS as well as a Sextant and charts.
There are however no widely available detailed charts of the Isle St Paul and from the satellite photos and ocean charts it has shallows at the entrance to the inner 'lake'. If seeking shelter there it would take very careful visual navigation to avoid running aground.
Spirit of Rema was strengthened by Ed in the building process and will survive rough seas however a knock down or roll over may well have broken the (wooden) mast. I have given a full year for Ed being able to survive, drifting at sea, using rations from his normal six months plus supply, fishing and rain water. After that time it would become increasingly harder to survive unless drifting in a productive fishing area. I firmly believe that it is too early to write Ed off as lost at sea. I know of cases of people taking extra ordinary lengths of time to cross stretches of water once their rig has been damaged or lost. I am definately hanging 'in there' for Ed to turn up. John B / Saltyrope.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Lieutenant

Thanks John.. yes, we are still hoping that Eddie has survived whatever has been 'thrown' at him.
We were under the impression that he didn't have VHF or GPS of any sort, certainly my husband and I don't remember anything of that nature when we were aboard with Ed in Vigo(Spain) in 2011, before he set out on his voyage back to NZ.
Since my last post, I have received an email from the 'Base Commander' of St Paul/Amsterdam, who tells us that he has no news of Eddie, no messages have been recieved there from him and no request to land at the islands has been made by him. A French Navy Frigate checked Islands Crozet, during routine patrols in May, (with radar) and found nothing - aside from some 'floating debris' which they believed to be from a fishing vessel.
Photos of Eddie and of 'Spirit of Rema' have been circulated up and down the Western Australian coast through coastal monitoring authorities offices.
We are still hoping that he is out there somewhere, but find it hard to imagine the scenario aboard 'Spirit of Rema' and what trials Eddie might be having to deal with.
With fingers..... and alot more,.... crossed
'Eddies Gang'
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Lieutenant

Further reply - with thoughts from my more technical husband.. the VHF, GPS and computers all require electric (?).. and as far as my 'man' can recall, Eddie only has one small solar panel to produce electric?? (although he accepts that his memory isn't what it was!!) Would this be enough to maintain everything 'working'. ??
Old 06-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
Lieutenant

Further reply from the 'technical department' - we now believe that we can remember Eddie having the solar panel, (small) and a means of generating some power from the wind, via a 'windmill' on the stern. So again, would this be enough to maintain all electric gadgetry in working order?.
Another thought - if he has a hand held VHF, does he have a callsign?
What we wonder is whether he had these things when he left NZ way back in the dim and distant years gone by, but that they have given up, or been lost along the way, because we really can't think that he had anything more than his laptop with his charts on when we were aboard in Sept 2011 (in Vigo), before he started his homeward (NZ bound) voyage. He made a point of telling us how he didn't like too much technology and gadgetry. Indeed I had to help him put some money on his UK mobile phone, which he was planning on doing without, assuming it wouldn't work much after the Canary Islands, and he only put a relatively small amount of euros on it.
Its all very puzzling, and we are all racking our brains to remember conversations we had with him, or things he showed any of us and so on.
Keeping everything crossed..
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
Ensign

Home Port: Isle of Lewis

From Edward's time in the UK, Spirit of Rema has a small rutland wind turbine mounted near the stern, seen in the first link below.

There is also a small 4-5 horse outboard motor mounted over the stern in such a way it can be raised or lowered from the cockpit, it is not sufficiently strong to drive Rema against a sea but it was mainly used for maneuvering in marinas.

Some links to photos:
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Spirit of Rema + visitors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Goodbye Rema | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edward made very light use of electronics, but Rema is equipped with a VHF, GPS and AIS receiver. I reckon he would get enough power for those devices on an ocean crossing. He has digital world charts on a laptop and I suspect if Edward considered landfall at any of those islands he would have purchased the charts for those areas if they were available.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Lieutenant

Thank you seumasm for that information, which may prove useful in our searches.
We know that Ed had charts on a lap top,, but that he refused the 'GPS driver' and 'Chart plotter', saying that he preferred to work things out for himself - and I am given to understand from 'Saltyrope', that charts for the islands 'inbetween' are not easy to come by. I'll check with him.
Cheers for now..