Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #41
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hey Roy, I know this is old technology and for a variety of reasons, we can't update it for the moment. However, instead of trying to bother with URLs when you select 'quick reply', try selecting 'go advanced', then you will see at the head of the text field a much enlarged menu. Spot the paperclip and then, off you go. Hope this helps.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:57 AM   #42
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Crew View Post
Thank you Roy, for contacting this thread, and trying to put your photos on it.. and thank you Auzzee, for your assistance there!
Sadly it is clearly, more than obvious that Eddie was lost at sea somewhere in between South Africa and Australia, 7 years ago in 2013.. but even so, I still keep an eye on various web sites and internet news pages, with a vague hope that someone will turn up something, even just a piece of the boat.. or some identifiable item, just to put a lid on it all.
I hope that you can link your photos to this thread, I shall be interested to see them. I'll check in again in the next few days, to see if they are here.
Best wishes.. and thanks again for your message.

He was crosseing very unpredictable seas. Sad, our loss......... but Eddie?......,likely in sailors heaven no longer encumberned with lifes demands on course to a paradise only he can imagine. God rest his soul

Old 07-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #43
Ensign

Home Port: Hout Bay
Default Pictures of Spirit of Rema with Eddie in them

These are two of the images that I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie Anker onSpirit of  Rema at HBYC.jpg   Eddie Anker, missing sailor,Spirit of Rema  in HBYC.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 06:48 AM   #44
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Hey Roy, I know this is old technology and for a variety of reasons, we can't update it for the moment. However, instead of trying to bother with URLs when you select 'quick reply', try selecting 'go advanced', then you will see at the head of the text field a much enlarged menu. Spot the paperclip and then, off you go. Hope this helps.
I took your advice and via that found another route to up load the two images that I have held since Ed left our shores.

I seem to remember more, possibly of the boat and not with Ed in them, I will do a file search and see what I find?

Regards

Roy
Old 07-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #45
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Thanks for uploading those Roy. I am sure they mean a lot to his friends and family. best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #46
Ensign

Thanks, I have found one more image and of the bow and deck, there are more pictures but this far I cannot find them, when and if I do I will post them.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #47
Ensign

Default Picture of Spirit of Rema , bow and deck, Hout Bay marina, RSA

This is one of a number of similar images that I took of the Sprit of Rema as she was such a well turned out vessel.
Attached Thumbnails
Spirit of Rema bow, HBYC.jpg  
Old 07-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #48
Lieutenant

Home Port: land locked, but dreaming

Thank you Roy for uploading the photos.
I shall alert the others of 'the scout gang' that they are there, so that they can view them too.
My husband and I spent a few days with Eddie when he was berthed in Vigo, Northern Spain, before he headed off back towards NZ, and I am so pleased to be able to say that he allowed me to take the helm (for a short while!) of his beloved and beautiful boat during one of our days out. Not having sailed, at that point, for some years, you can imagine that I was very nervous of being in charge of what was effectively Eddies home. Fortunately, like riding a bike, it seems you never really lose the knowledge of what to do!
So nice to 'replay' the memories.. safe sailing everyone.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #49
Ensign

Thanks for your comment.

I took pictures of Spirit of Rema in two lots, the two with Eddie in them are the second set.

This far and excepting the bow image I have not located the first set, when did Eddie arrive in Hout Bay, If I had that as a date I can work from around that time in my picture folders for the rest of the images?
Old 07-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #50
Lieutenant

Home Port: land locked, but dreaming

Hello Roy,
According to my records from the search for him, Eddie arrived in Hout Bay around the end of January 2012. Certainly he was in Hout Bay during the first week of February of that year. Hope that helps!
Old 09-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #51
Ensign

I have already posted about Ed and Sprit of Rema, with some pictures also, I have just found another picture showing the Q flag so he had just arrived at Hout Bay.

The date I took the picture was 2012 January 31st

Roy McBride, Port Officer for the OCC in Hout Bay

I would post the picture here but the links above want a URL, the file is in my Documents folder.