Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > Overdue & Distress Reports
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Ensign

I do not have all the real facts so what I have written here is what I have experienced, have been told and what I believe to be true.

Hubby and I knew that the Blessed B was on it's way from Noumea but had no radio contact where we were anchored off Fraser Is in the Great Sandy Straits. The first that we heard that something was wrong was on the 7th September 2008, via a local radio station report that the Blessed B was overdue by two week and a search had been organised.

Apparently the boat had been caught in a storm some hundred odd miles out and the skipper had managed to get a radio message out with sea, boat and crew conditions, but no may-day had be put out. This message had been picked up by a HF station in South Australia and logged. That's all.

The family reported the non arrival to authorities and radio contact was attempted before a search would be launched. Fare enough. There was another vessel in the area that had a name very simliar sounding to Blessed B and this vessel answered the authorities first call saying that all was okay. The radio frequency was very scratchy and taken to be Blessed B. A few more days went by and still no sign of Blessed B. Thats when a serious search got under-way, but too late is what I am thinking for the poor unfortunate crew of the Blessed B. The search stared in the wrong area and maybe not far enough out and maybe too late at all. There is no blame on anyone just mis information all round. The authorites did try, several planes, helicopter and sea craft were all looking, but nothing. Nothing after two weeks of searching and still nothing months later.

Very sad all round, another good captain and crew gone down!

nancyjeanjjw48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Admiral

Nancy, Thanks for the report - I have been to your excellent web site

Click (Hope it works)

Extracted a few more details - but no good news!

"3rd September

Sunday was to bring JJ and me some sad news that disturbed us both very much. Sometimes we have the radio tuned to one of the local station to catch up on the world outside. This morning the news reader was reporting on a yacht that had been missing off the coast of OZ; this yacht had been due in at least several days ago and not a word since that had contacted family over the Sat phone twelve days earlier. It was Bruce Glasson who we had first met in Raiatea, and his boat Blessed B. It had been reported that Blessed Be had hit a storm and was missing; there were search planes and helicopter being deployed.

I couldn’t believe my ears; I didn’t feel very well.

The mobile phone rang and it was the Search and Rescue people wanting all the information that JJ could think of in regard to what JJ knew about Bruce and his boat, equipment, structure, past storms they had been through and any other radio contact that they may have. It had been Charles, a previous crew member off Blessed B and a good friend of Bruce’s who had give our number to the Search and Rescue people. Charles is also the person who was required to identify any likely debris that had been picked out of the ocean. So far nothing was a match. Good news or bad news? I would hardly know which.

After the phone call JJ and I both just stood there on the spot looking at each other, dumbfounded, not able to move for several minutes. We had no way of getting in contact with Charles; I only had his email address, not his phone number. All we could do was keep our ears peeled to the news reports. I felt sick, sick, sick!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11th/12th Sept

The early news broadcast tells us that the authorities have scaled down the search for “Blessed B”. The families of Bruce Glasson and Gary are asking for the public’s help; anyone sighting any debris out there to report it to the authorities. JJ has been speaking to our friend, Charles, who had been with Blessed B up till Fiji but was now back in OZ working. He has been assisting the authorities with their search and helping to identify any stuff that has been brought in. So far, to date, nothing has been found or even sited; not even the remotest radio call. What has happened to Blessed B, we will probably never know? "

Tags
arc