Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Admiral

Here in the Northern hemisphere spring will soon be knocking at the door. Today is, in fact, a beautiful cloudless day in Belgium (where I am at the moment), and so thoughts go to that most wonderful of all maritime jobs, with the exception of unblocking the heads; applying anti fouling.

For the last few years NAUSIKAA has been under the maritime equivalent of house arrest. She has been confined to the Baltic which is a nice place to be but the Baltic Sea is neither fresh not salt. It is a lovely but strange place where cod and pike swim together, both living at the edge of their existence possibilities. It also means that marine growth is severely inhibited, in comparison to warm, salt seas. That, combined with legislation prohibiting heavy metals and poisons means that Baltic approved anti fouling has about as much kick as a rock shandy. Barnacles, if there were any in the Baltic, would not even get high on it!

NAUSIKAA's Baltic sojourn looks to be coming to an end as she heads later this year south west to the rias of Galicia where the waters are warmer, the riocha cheaper as well as plentiful, the seafood beyond belief and the sun more reliable but all this comes at a price; the price NAUSIKAA will have to pay being that of marine growth. Anyone brought up on Homer (NO! not THAT Homer - the Greek author fellow who lived almost 3,000 years ago) will know that a Nausikaa was a princess who set very high values of personal hygiene - after all she ordered her maidens to bathe the half-drowned Odysseus. It therefore follows that NAUSIKAA likes to keep her bottom clean.

So good people and fellow cruisers with experience of warm waters and barnacles, what say you? What should be applied to NAUSIKAA's bottom to keep it clean? Keep your replies clean too - this is a family show!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
Lieutenant

The one that might be able t give th best answer is the harbour master where You are going to moor it. Local conditions plays a huge role in what to choose. Where Haffiman is moored, at Langkawi Yachtclub, the difference between inner and outer floating dock is the difference of yearly or every second year haul out and anti-fouling using the same brand.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
Admiral

Hi Stephen,

Obviously as a cruising yacht, you are likely to be on the move - so that what works in one clime may not be that effective in another in terms of mean surface temperatures.

So what is needed is a compound that works generally in the warm waters. It would be out of the question to change product when moving your berth in a marina, to say an anchorage somewhere else.

When scratching my pate:- a couple of formulations that have been found to be effective (amongst hundreds of others) :-

Here

Here

Richard

PS - here is one I used in SE Asian waters - very effective - the specific :- 'Oceanic'

http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:7LIdm...;cd=2&gl=th
Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
Lieutenant

well, if you are going to do it your self, there is a little trick that may or may not be 'officially' permitted in your area.

You can go down to the marine store and buy it for gobs of money, or instead find the local rancher's supply outfit and buy it for peanuts, but tetracycline mixxed into any kind of ablative bottom paint is nothing short of amazing.

seeratlas
Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #5
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to boatgroo

Hello Nausikaa,

The post is great reading. I recently asked the same question of the Catalina 28 Yahoo Group. Not a great like your post, mind you. I am thinking about taking Nortena from the Great Lakes into warm tropical waters.

I got a quick response from a knowledgeable fellow in Chesapeake Bay. His recommendation is Pettit Trinidade. There is lots of info on their site. The claim that not even slime will grow on it.

Happy sails,

Bill
Old 03-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Admiral

Many thanks indeed for the kind words and the recommendation.

I have done a quick web search and I find many recommendations for Pettit Trinidade. I just wonder if it is available in Europe?

Seeratlas' suggestion of using tetracycline as an additive may be an effective one but I am sure that it would prove difficult to find here as the use of antibiotics is extremely restricted compared to many other parts of the world. Maybe I will be able to get hold of some should I end up in the Middle East again.

Thanks also to MMNETSEA for the links.

I throw all modesty aside and let you know what NAUSIKAA has her delicate lower parts protected with when the job is done.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Stephen,

Obviously as a cruising yacht, you are likely to be on the move - so that what works in one clime may not be that effective in another in terms of mean surface temperatures.

So what is needed is a compound that works generally in the warm waters. It would be out of the question to change product when moving your berth in a marina, to say an anchorage somewhere else.

When scratching my pate:- a couple of formulations that have been found to be effective (amongst hundreds of others) :-

Here

Here

Richard

PS - here is one I used in SE Asian waters - very effective - the specific :- 'Oceanic'

http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:7LIdm...;cd=2&gl=th
What is this last link? I can't get it to display a webpage. Thanks!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Admiral

Try this one :-Hempel
Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
Ensign

Seeratlas, what is the recomended ratio of tetracycline to a litre of paint?