Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default beaching my phinisi for cleaning - any tips

This year I am planning to beach my yacht to clean hull, change anodes etc. Never done it before for a large yacht - any tips. In Indonesia they use coco lumber stakes under the rubbing strake to keep her upright - here we pan to use sandbags.

Any one any tips aND GENERAL ADVICE

Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

"Any tips" is what you want to avoid. Sand is not exactly the material for foundations, so I'd be wary of either sandbags or stakes. Especially if you are going to place your furry little tail in harms way below the hull and then bang away at barnacles and frozen bolts... just saying.

Why not do it over two tides, first one side then the other. It's a bit tough laying over heeled but a good exercise for ship-shaping and what-if's. Besides, you'll be outside scrubbing and toiling anyway. It's much easier doing it to an upright surface than having crud fall down into your eyesicles, no matter how exotic its place of origin.

Your hull should be able to take the strain, if not I'd sure be very wary of sailing in it. Having the mast tilted will also give you a good idea how well and tight your shrouds and other integrity is faring under a little strain.

Have great fun at it! Ivo

Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Here are another Cruiserlog threads about this topic:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12...hing-3246.html

Why are you wanting to do this? If you're in a warm location, you can do all that while the hull is in the water. The only reasons to beach the boat would be to do something which requires "dry" like painting, change a thruhull or something with a prop shaft. Are you sure you want to do so just to clean and do anodes?

Anyway, it really depends on your keel, as well. Ours is wide so the boat can settle down onto it (It is 14" wide aft and narrowing to 11" before becoming the forekeel area which is only about 6" wide.) If the keel is narrow or of a modern design, you may never successfully do it. So--what is the keel like?

For a tradition full keeled boat, you can get yourself some boat legs or make some. They are attached to brackets or to the boat's chain plates. Tricky to use, but many folks have used them. We have not done so though we know the designer of our boat was known for making sure his boats could use boat legs--therefore we assume there's a way to do so with our boat--we just don't know exactly how.

Here's a pic of a boat circa 1950 using boatlegs:
Ships and Harbours Photos - Fishing Boat Lamorna SS45

Here's a company that makes boat legs:
The Yacht Leg and Cradle Company

Here's a design by Gartside for Gartside boats:
Gartside Boats | Beaching legs, Design #131/8

Final thought--you might go back to the designer or builder of your own boat and ask for a boat leg design to fit.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

beaching legs shouldn't be hard to make. I guess the forces invovled are pretty light if the yacht stays dead upright. Really only wind forces that are involved. If a fin keel the maybe four legs would solve the problem of it tilting forwards or backwards, that is a leg on the bow and one on the stern. I've bought the Paul Gartside plans a while back and intend to build some legs for my old girl which is a full keel.
What I think may help is if building legs incorporate steps into the design so you can get down when the tides leaves.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibsail View Post
This year I am planning to beach my yacht to clean hull, change anodes etc. Never done it before for a large yacht - any tips. In Indonesia they use coco lumber stakes under the rubbing strake to keep her upright - here we pan to use sandbags.

Any one any tips aND GENERAL ADVICE
Gooday 'jibsail' - Long time since we've spoken - sure hope you're all doing well. Looked at your request above - then I went into - search engine like 'bing' or 'google' & you just time in - Phinisi sailing yacht & then read everything there is in there. Wow - lots of information & some pictures of a few 'phinisi's up on a beach somewhere. I'm sure you'll learn a lot by checking out these sights. Good fortune in your efforts - I'm sure all will go well especially if you do a lot of careful research before you start. Ciao for now, james

PS - Hey 'K1' - Gooday mate - it's a big long full keel & very heavily constructed. Ciao, jj