Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-22-2018, 02:48 AM   #1
Old Man Goes Back To Sea

Home Port: Cape Fear
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Default Bilge pump w/internal computorized/electronic, float switch problem

I have a rm2000 3 wire computer bilge pump, with 3 way switch, that the auto/float switch has ceased to operate. The manual side still is good when I switch to manual on the 3 position switch. Is it possible to wire a traditional float switch to this type of bilge pump. By passing the failed computor/electronic internal float switch? I do not know how the existing, failed, internal float switch is wired or how it actually works. Maybe if I open it I might find a leg to tie in a traditional float/sw and regain the auto function. If not I may have to purchase a new Bilge pump.

Thanking any and all who assist me with this issue.

John Jordan
Cape Fear, North Carolina

Old 11-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi John,
Most bilge pumps are easy to fix. External float switches, simple wiring and easily cleaned contacts make it so. However, the RM2000 is different. It would appear to have a solid state sensor. I don't therefore see that it will be an intuitive repair.

The only thing I can add, after reading the brochure on these pumps, is that if they detect oil (which can occasionally be found in bilges) they will not function automatically. Perhaps this may be the problem. Alternatively, the sensor may be fouled with debris.

Of course, the problem with highly intelligent bilge pumps such as the RM2000 is that they can be more intelligent than people like me...and that can be a separate problem which is generally irreparable.

The good news is that 2000 GPH automatic bilge pumps can be bought new for not a lot of money, and the reasonable news is that you could rig an independent float switch to the wires from the RM
2000 to the panel; but this might cause the manual overide to lose its function.

Given the overall importance of the whole let's-not-sink-the-blasted-boat concept, a new RM2000 might be a reasonable investment.

I wish I could be of more assistance.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge