Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Commander

The last long-term owner of Starquest was a chain-smoker, whos habit virtually ruined the interior. The V-berth area was the least effected, and in that area I am trying to salvage the headliner. The headliner appears to be a perforated vinyl with some sort of soft foam behind it. I believe it is original (1974) and it appears to be in good condition besides the slight orange tint of nicotine staining.

I was told to use lacquer thinner on the wood and gelcoat elsewhere in the boat, but am unsure of what the best chemical would be for the vinyl. Any suggestions?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
The last long-term owner of Starquest was a chain-smoker, whos habit virtually ruined the interior. The V-berth area was the least effected, and in that area I am trying to salvage the headliner. The headliner appears to be a perforated vinyl with some sort of soft foam behind it. I believe it is original (1974) and it appears to be in good condition besides the slight orange tint of nicotine staining.

I was told to use lacquer thinner on the wood and gelcoat elsewhere in the boat, but am unsure of what the best chemical would be for the vinyl. Any suggestions?
I have saying this but vinyl is one of the materials i don't know for sure what is best. This is due to the different types and quality therefore of. You might try a saddle soap as it does work with some and old fashion marsillie soap has been known to clean just about everything. Just a guess with these as tend to avoid vinyl. Sorry for not being of much help.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

I know of no way to get the nicotine stains off as well as the smell and that greasy film that it leaves. Nicotine has a way of penetrating into the cracks and crevasses and scrub as you may you will always find remnants of it.

You may have to have it all replaced in the end, and if it were me that is what I would do.

Gavin

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Admiral

Try dishwashing liquid. Next to try would be laundry detergent. Try a small bit in a corner, full strength. If it works, you can proceed to see how dilute it can be and still work - nicotine tends to need the strongest solution possible.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Admiral

Try this recommendation :- CLICK

I have used Sodium Hypochlorite 5% -- diluted to 2 1/2% - wiped down, then rinsed with water then dried.

P.S.

Here's another Click
Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Commander

Thanks, that tipking site has a lot of good ideas! I'll let you know which of these I try and what works.

It's been a year since the boat has been smoked in. It's been well ventilated so is no remaining smell. The headliner in the saloon / galley area was deemed un-salvageable and removed, and all of the cushions in the boat were removed as well. They are in storage to use as patterns for new cushions.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Please let us know how it goes.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Thanks, that tipking site has a lot of good ideas! I'll let you know which of these I try and what works.

It's been a year since the boat has been smoked in. It's been well ventilated so is no remaining smell. The headliner in the saloon / galley area was deemed un-salvageable and removed, and all of the cushions in the boat were removed as well. They are in storage to use as patterns for new cushions.
Try straight methylated spirits

Did wonders for our headliner that was heavily stained and smoked marked.

Fair winds
Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:

The answer to both questions is Orange Oil. It works great on vinyl, plastics of all kinds, varnish etc. It does not stain and is non hazardous. It smells like fresh squeezed oranges, plus its cheap. One oz. per gallon of water. It can also be used as a degreaser, as in spraying down the bilge in your engine compartment. Oil comes right off. Mix it 1 teaspoon +1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to a quart of water and it makes an excellent mozquito repellent. You can buy this stuff at gardnering centers and at supermarkets. Do not use laquer thinner as it will melt some plastics. I know this because I melted my cellphone with it.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhead View Post

The answer to both questions is Orange Oil. It works great on vinyl, plastics of all kinds, varnish etc. It does not stain and is non hazardous. It smells like fresh squeezed oranges, plus its cheap. One oz. per gallon of water. It can also be used as a degreaser, as in spraying down the bilge in your engine compartment. Oil comes right off. Mix it 1 teaspoon +1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract to a quart of water and it makes an excellent mozquito repellent. You can buy this stuff at gardnering centers and at supermarkets. Do not use laquer thinner as it will melt some plastics. I know this because I melted my cellphone with it.
The orange solution sounded good. If it doesn't come off easy try WD 40. I have had good luck with it as a cleaner / solvent. Especially with the sticky residue from Duct Tape . Good luck. Never did care for smokers.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhead View Post

I thought I replied but guess it dissolved in the Orange Oil solution. Try WD 40. It is a good cleaner / solvent. Works for me. RH
Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Commander

Awesome Orange with Oxygen boosters has worked reasonably well. Great on the wood, especially.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

I know everyone has added a solution here, but a tip I got over 40 years ago still works for me: Sugar Soap. It's used by renovators to clean walls before painting and it doesn't foam up or harm any surface or material I've ever used it on. The stuff just dissolves and runs down the wall. I'm a heavy smoker myself and this has saved me a lot of rental bonds!

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Definitely worth trying on a test strip Rob.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote