Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

Hi Everyone,

I am seriously inclined to use Coppercoat for my next bottom job. The hull is GRP so it will make it even easier to stick on. I am seeing a number of good feedback from various sources but it all come from colder water. Since marine growth is a lot more exuberant in tropical water with a typical 28-30 degree Celsius, I was looking for feedback in similar conditions.

Fair Winds,

Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Ensign

Francis,

You might want to take a look at our 11 year report on our copper bottom. We used it from San Francisco bay area to and through the Sea of Cortez. The water temps in the Sea exceed 90 deg F. It's at: http://www.svguenevere.com/2007/cp/

By the way, we are getting ready to do a haul the first week of next month and we are going to put copper back on!!! We like it a LOT.

Our copper is different that what you can get now days, but still the same idea. Any questions, just ask.

Greg

Our Home page - www.svguenevere.com
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Francis,

You might want to take a look at our 11 year report on our copper bottom. We used it from San Francisco bay area to and through the Sea of Cortez. The water temps in the Sea exceed 90 deg F. It's at: http://www.svguenevere.com/2007/cp/

By the way, we are getting ready to do a haul the first week of next month and we are going to put copper back on!!! We like it a LOT.

Our copper is different that what you can get now days, but still the same idea. Any questions, just ask.

Greg
Greg,

Thanks a lot for the report, it is very positive. Just wondering how you applied the copperpoxy, spray or roller and how many coats did you apply?

Fair winds,
Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Ensign

Francis,

We mixed it a quart at a time, I painted it on (very thick) and Jill rolled it out using a foam short nap roller covered in Pam (spray kitchen oil). One coat was all that we used (except at the waterline, 2 coats).

CopperPoxy now only sells to specific application people. We just bought the parts (copper metal powder and resin) from a supplier in Fla. We will mix it on our own and apply it.

Greg

Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Francis,

We mixed it a quart at a time, I painted it on (very thick) and Jill rolled it out using a foam short nap roller covered in Pam (spray kitchen oil). One coat was all that we used (except at the waterline, 2 coats).

CopperPoxy now only sells to specific application people. We just bought the parts (copper metal powder and resin) from a supplier in Fla. We will mix it on our own and apply it.

Greg
Wanna post the specifics? Amounts, ratios, procedures, gotchas? Where do you get copper powder? How finely should it be ground? What kind of resin? Any suppliers you would point people to?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
Ensign

Cayote,

FIRST, I am not connected with any supplier in an way. Just a user/shopper.

I wish I could direct you to the CopperPoxy page, but they will not sell to us mortals any more.

I ordered my copper and epoxy from Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc., at: http://www.epoxyproducts.com/copper4u.html

The page gives a LOT of info on using it. BUT it states that it's up to the user! I also have to warn you that the site is hard to follow. It's getting better, but still a bit of a challenge to work your way to the spot to order the product.

I plan to mix it as suggested on the page. That is, “Add between 3 - 6 pounds of copper per gallon of our 810 epoxy.” This copper is about 41 micron flakes, a bit bigger than the copper used in the original CopperPoxy, (10 micron spheres) but I think it should work just as good.

After our upcoming haul out, next month, I will try to post some words and photos on our web pages in the “Position reports” area.

Greg

Tags
antifoul