Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Wowy'o... A guy goes off-line for a couple of months and man has this place changed...

But looks like all the regulars are still here, so I guess it's like the say "the more things change, the more they stay the same"...

As a personal update. I'm still up in Colorado, staying with my friend that has cancer (non-hodgkins lymphoma) while he goes through chemo. He's doing well, in full remission. So I'll finally be headed back to the boat in about a month as he finishes his treatments...

As I get back to the boat, which is in FL at the moment, do some maintenance and then start moving her north again to avoid hurricane season I'm looking to get her up on the hard and do some bigger projects, copper coat the bottom, paint the topsides, new standing rigging. I'm looking for a boatyard that accomodates DIYers and might have some month-to-month/furnished apartments for rent in the area for cheap.

I'm open to any place on the east coast north of Savanah south of Cape Cod... all recomendations welcome.

thanks as always.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Hey there,

My suggestion is Harrison's Yacht Sales and Services at Kent Island on the Chesapeake just south of the Bay Bridge. Great little DIY yard where Boomerang! has been for the past couple of months. Have done much work myself...a great location, and nice yard.

Let me know if you need some help getting set up...they can be reached at 410.827.7800.

Charles

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Admiral

Thanks Charles I'll look into them. Does being that near Annapolis not have an adverse affect on their pricing?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Boomerang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist' date='05 April 2010 - 11:11 AM View Post

Thanks Charles I'll look into them. Does being that near Annapolis not have an adverse affect on their pricing?
Actually, no...not that I can tell, but then my only comparison is to Annapolis and Florida, which are exactly correct...very expensive. Not here. In fact, they only charge like $100 per month for storage. I have been out of the water there since December, and have used their services on several occasions, but my total bill has only been about $1500...including haul out, and return. I have found them rather reasonable, considering their proximity to Annapolis....

You could also check out my marina at Knapps Narrows as well....another quite reasonable marina just south of where my boat currently is...

C

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Old 04-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Admiral

outstanding. Sounds like a good spot.

Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Boomerang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist' date='05 April 2010 - 12:12 PM View Post

outstanding. Sounds like a good spot.

Thanks again.
Glad I could help. Let me know when you get up here, and perhaps a toddy would be in order. BTW, very near Harrisons are numerous restaurants, bars, and motels.... One of our fav's by the way...right next door! Knapps is MUCH quieter...with not much around....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #7
Admiral

by chance any recommendations on places south of the Chesapeake? We have to be north of Savanah by July 1 but are discussing hanging out in Beaufort, NC for a while which means we may not even make it north of Norfolk this year before turning back south... We'll see what happens.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Ensign

Beaufort, NC would be a good choice.

We stopped in here on a delivery, came back the next winter and never left.

Lived on the hook, in Taylors Creek, until we settled in, decent holding and somewhat sheltered.

Free town dock for dinks and walkin'...crawlin' distance to several pubs...lots of ways to get into trouble.

Halfway up and down the East Coast and good spot for the jump to Bermuda or the Islands; without the hussle and bussle of FL.

4 great yards:

~ Jarrett Bay is the largest, Mega Yacht capable, lots of services....

~ Core Creek is next door and open for do-it-yourselfers and nice people run the place.

~ Bock Marine is just down the creek; several rebuilds in progress and nice people

The above 3 are on the ICW but out of town and transportation will be required.

~ Russells is on the Morehead City waterfront,just down from the Seaport, and walking distance to Ace Marine Hardware, restaurents, bars and apartment rentals.

Local taxis will take you anywhere, including one of the best ocean beachs on the East Coast.....

Pull up Beaufort and/or Morehead City, NC on the web...loads of info.

Beaufort is 300 years old, all kinds of good history here including Blackbeards wreck and his 'hangin' house.....

Lots of worse places....not to many better....

fred

They may be more screwed up than you think.....
Fred R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
Admiral

Ha... we were just talking about Beaufort last night... Taylor Creek is a great spot I stopped in there for a couple months last year, was able to drop the hook just outside the bouys right in front of the public dock...

I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Tags
east coast