Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

My husband and I have been steadily working our way through the old stuff on the boat. Rebuilding things and re-installing things. It is totally amazing how long good quality marine parts last.

As many of you may know, we are rebuilding a boat originally built in 1929-1931, launched in '31. That's a long time ago. Even so, many of hardware and the plumbing parts are the original or pre-1950. Things like the 2" Perko raw water filter, circa 1950, is not overly corroded and I just got the new seals for it from Perko. All parts are still available. I just finished with a minor rebuild of the Ideal windlass (circa 1940-1960), all in good shape, I only had to deal with case corrosion (exterior, bottom), repaint, replace the brake ring "pad," the case seals, and grease fittings. The out of production Barient winches (circa 1960-1970) can all be easily rebuilt, the bronze sheaved wood blocks the same.

As one considers the cost of replacing things every few years...one can begin to appreciate hardware that has lasted from 50 to 75 years and keeps on working. In the raw water system, we're re-using the 20 or so feet of 2" bronze piping that was originally used to plumb deck-fills for freshwater tanks. We're also re-using a few valves, fittings, and seacocks (circa 1930-1950) that are in amazingly good shape. The bronze thru-hulls were heavy duty and all in great shape, but we're changing sizes on many and thus putting in new thru-hulls and associated seacocks. The old ones that are sizes that we can use, we're keeping as "spare parts."

We just went to the storage shed to pick up more needed items for installation. The bronze cowl and mushroom vents, hatch hinges, fillplates and inspection ports, as well as the cabin hardware, latches, etc, all in great shape and original to the boat. The same can be said for all the bronze castings associated with the rigging of the boat. There are wear items and fatigue items, of course but it is simply amazing how well this stuff lasts and lasts.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Ensign

Good old stuff

The "Good old stuff" that has survived is mostly quality stuff. The cheap stuff is either gone or should be gone.

We have a 30 year old New Boat that had a lot of "Good stuff" installed when new and most of it is still there. Some of it is still working well and other needs attention.

Take for instance our anchor windlass. This Simpson-Lawrence Francis 2000 windlass is original and does not work so I took it apart to find out why not. I found that someone had overheated the electric motor and burned it out. In the process of dismantling the windlass I am impressed by the strength and quality of workmanship.

The decision is easy. Have the motor rebuilt and clean up the case and gears. I am sure that it will last another 30 years if taken care of. It does not look as shiny or glitzy as a new one but it will probably be more reliable and last longer.

Think again before you toss out a veteran piece of gear. You may be able to rebuild it and end up with one that is better-than-new.

Gary

"I feel younger while afloat in my boat."

http//HealthyBoating.blogspot.com
Apolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi Ensign,

I have a 120 year old historical vessel with a 2000 on it that we are trying to convert to hydraulic for several reasons. Problem is we can find nothing on the old motor that gives any ratings for power or RPM all that good stuff they need to size the new motor from. Would you have any idea from yours what the power ratings are etc.? Also a manual would be a life saver.

Best regards and thanks in advance for the help

Shane
Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historical Vessel Vega' date='30 April 2010 - 07:53 AM View Post

Hi Ensign,

I have a 120 year old historical vessel with a 2000 on it that we are trying to convert to hydraulic for several reasons. Problem is we can find nothing on the old motor that gives any ratings for power or RPM all that good stuff they need to size the new motor from. Would you have any idea from yours what the power ratings are etc.? Also a manual would be a life saver.

Best regards and thanks in advance for the help

Shane
Hi Shane,

contact this company Click

attn.. Cliff Mogridge

Regards

Richard
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi Shane

I have just pulled my Francis 2000 apart. The 24v motor does not have torque or speed but it is a CAV type TM55A24-18. You may be able to follow that up with Lucas/Prestolite as they are now.

Water must have got into the gearbox and I was met with a rusty mess and siezed / disintegrated bearings. amazingly it still worked which shows how robust these windlasses are.

I have the 7 page handbook with exploded diagram and parts list if you do not have that.

I guess though - since i have it apart, if you have not found what you want I could work out the gear ratio so that you could work back to torque and speed. It had a rated pull of 1800kg. We would have to choose a speed for pulling in the chain (unless anyone else has one and could time it in m/s - Ensign?).

I too have been thinking of changing from 24v - so please keep us (me at least) informed of how you get on with the hydraulics plan.

Cheers

Martin

PS - if you work out how the automatic gear change works - that would be brilliant - as it is taxing my limited brain