Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs up

We are looking at an O'day 322 (87 mod). First buyers paid for survey and bailed out on the transaction Because of 200 pimples on bottom. Owner had bottom job in 2006. What should I do?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Admiral

Show extreme caution!

Was the "bottom job" (interesting turn of phrase) done pre or post survey? In other words, was the bottom job done before the survey and the "pimples" then found or was the bottom job done as a result of the survey and the "pimples" fixed?

Also worth finding out, what did the, here we go again, bttom job consist of? Was it just cosmetic treatment or did it get to the root of the problem?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Show extreme caution!

Was the "bottom job" (interesting turn of phrase) done pre or post survey? In other words, was the bottom job done before the survey and the "pimples" then found or was the bottom job done as a result of the survey and the "pimples" fixed?

Also worth finding out, what did the, here we go again, bttom job consist of? Was it just cosmetic treatment or did it get to the root of the problem?

Aye // Stephen
Bottom job done 2 years before survey. No pimples/blisters when it was sanded/painted. Broker is offering to sell me survey for $200 (first prchaser's that bailed out aid $450.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
Admiral

Not sure that the answers to Stephen's questions provided a clear understanding as to what the present situation is regarding this boat and its problems. In fact the answers have raised more questions :-

2006 :- Hull below the water line "sanded" and "painted"

Question :- "sanded" does this mean just sanding off the anti foul ? Or, does it mean sanding

off the gelcoat as well ?

Question :- "painted" with what ? antifoul ? epoxy ? how many coats etc ?

Question ;- Was the above done by a professional ? If so, who? - check with them.

2008 :- At survey 200 pimples/blisters found !

Question :- Exactly 200 ? How big ? Spread evenly over the whole under water hull ?

Or clustered in some areas?

Question :- After the '200' were found, what was done to rectify ?

The 322 had other problems with keel bolts, shroud chain plate foundations.

Worth looking at the O'Day owners website Click here

If you are intent on this boat - find your own surveyor (not the broker's) - have the boat 'condition and valuation' surveyed out of the water. Not sure what you mean by "Broker is offering to sell me survey for $200 (first prchaser's that bailed out paid $450." Are you saying that he is selling you the survey that was paid for by previous parties who were interested in the boat ? Or are you saying that he will pay $200 towards a new survey?

Note : The $450 survey that paid for by the other interested party, belongs to them. The broker

sounds like someone who is offering to sell the Golden Gate Bridge.

If necessary get a fibreglass professional to quote on restoring the hull to good condition etc.

Richard
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Lieutenant

200 blisters? Sounds like a problem to me!

Blisters are a sign of delamination. This is where the fiberglass or gelcoat is seperating from each other. In order to "Properly" fix them, it would be a considerable amount of work. If the price on the boat is worth the extra days in the boat yard, materials, time etc. I would do as others advise. Use extreme caution!

If your just saving a couple thousand by buying this boat, I would find another. Just my opinion.

Good luck, Steve
For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
islandseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandseeker View Post
Blisters are a sign of delamination. Good luck, Steve
Hi Steve,

Blisters are a result of Osmosis, whilst delamination when it occurs between layers of roving or mat may not produce blistering at the surface.

Here is an excellent site covering the subject Click Here
Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Steve,

Blisters are a result of Osmosis, whilst delamination when it occurs between layers of roving or mat may not produce blistering at the surface.

Here is an excellent site covering the subject Click Here
Hello and welcome to Cruserlog Easyedwin,

Osmosis, delamination

We have a wood boat--so cannot really speak to "blisters" by personal experience but sinc June 2007 we've been working on our boat in a boatyard with lots of work going on various fiberglass boats--and THEY have had a lot of blisters, pimples, and combinations of osmosis and delamination (both!). Some have had serious lamination problems. Lots of blisters...well, I just saw a boat come and go with a few hundred little pimples. They were fixed and no one was hopping around about too much work...remember some "pimples" are pretty tiny and boats are pretty big.

Also, when we were in the market for our boat, we had several leads with the brokers providing us a free copy of a recent survey paid for by the owner. Never a survey paid for by another buyer. One time it was a survey done by the broker (and approved by the buyer) that was actually quite good. In all cases, free. If another buyer paid for the survey, I suppose he/she (the other buyer) might offer it to future potential buyers for free or for a price to try and recoup the money but certainly it would see the broker shouldn't be involved in a cash transaction with an outside party that isn't the seller of the boat. I would suggest that you ask the guy for the survey at no cost, else, get your own survey (if you're serious about the boat) with the surveyor of your choice. We have paid for a survey for any boat we've purchased and we've also paid for a survey on a boat we didn't buy (based on the survey). We had FOUR different (in-the-water) surveys done of the boat we did buy--one by a (paid) surveyor and three as part of bids for work to be done by competing shipwrights who we were considering using for the extensive work that was needed. Here in San Diego, an in-the-water survey is about half the price of a full survey (plus you don't pay to pull the boat).

You might reach out to an O'Day owners group to ask questions about the history of these boats and problems with delamination or osmosis related blisters. google search "O'Day owners group"

Best of luck to you in your search for the right boat!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote