Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Stuffing Box

Hi to All of you!

I have successfully eliminated almost all of the water intrusion into the boat except for the stuffing box. If at all possible i would like to stop this intrusion as well. There are mechanical dripless boxes and then there is the synthetic teflon packing. Has anyone had success with these?

Thanks for your comments.

Keep the boat in the water and the water out of the boat!!!

S/V Amante

Islander 41

"Keep the water out of the boat and the boat in the water"
Sailboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Commander

A friend has a teflon water seal on his yacht and is very happy with it. I can say with experience of his yacht that after over 200nm of motoring there was not a drop of water in the tray where it would accumulate if there was any leak at all. I'm thinking of that as a near future project on Bedouin, worth anything to get away from the wicking and grease gun as well as the gunk that gets built up in the gland sump.

Regards

Peter

Old 10-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Ensign

i use the teflon packing...works great.

initially, just keep the nut loose enough to allow some dripping, then, with diesel running and in gear, slightly tighten the nut until it just stops dripping, but not more than that...just tight enough that there is no more water dripping...

all is dry under the stuffing box and shaft!

m

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the input, i will give the teflon packing a try.

S/V Amante

Islander 41

"Keep the water out of the boat and the boat in the water"
Sailboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by max mariner View Post
i use the teflon packing...works great.

initially, just keep the nut loose enough to allow some dripping, then, with diesel running and in gear, slightly tighten the nut until it just stops dripping, but not more than that...just tight enough that there is no more water dripping...

all is dry under the stuffing box and shaft!

m
Here in the USA what brand have you purchased?

Thanks!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
Commander

Or you can throw away the ancient stuffing box and install a new "dripless" seal from PYS or PYI. They are usually shown in the marine chandlery catalogs. The technology is the same as for swimming pool motor/pumps. And there is zero friction involved so all the power from the engine goes directly to the propeller.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 AM   #7
Admiral

Brenda,

before we "throw away the ancient stuffing box and install a new "dripless" seal ." ( which by the way, a dripless seal can be a real hazard if the boat is out of the water for any length of time, then returned to to the water without checking to see if the seal is still firmly in place. A good friend did not check and within a couple hours, water had come via the open seal and flooded the engine - very expensive.)

Returning to your need, have a look at Carr McMaster - pages 3400 and 2117. If properly installed , no discernable heat will be generated and without a drip.

Richard
Old 05-08-2008, 04:21 AM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Brenda,

before we "throw away the ancient stuffing box and install a new "dripless" seal ." ( which by the way, a dripless seal can be a real hazard if the boat is out of the water for any length of time, then returned to to the water without checking to see if the seal is still firmly in place. A good friend did not check and within a couple hours, water had come via the open seal and flooded the engine - very expensive.)

Returning to your need, have a look at Carr McMaster - pages 3400 and 2117. If properly installed , no discernable heat will be generated and without a drip.

Richard
?are you talking to me? or osirissailing?

I'm not the one talking about thowing away my stuffing box

I'd just like to know which brand of teflon packing folks have used here in the USA.

P.S. a carvel planked wood boat (like mine!) can be a real hazard if the boat is out of water for any length of time--leaks like a sieve

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote