Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney
Vessel Name: Splendid

I have purchased three sureflo washdown Faucet (called taps in Australia) Model # 5358221 Manuf. # 133-0216-SS from West Marine to replace the original taps. However, I am unable to obtain hose fittings in Australia to fit to the US washdown taps. I have tried Whitworths and all the main plumbing suppliers. Any suggestions.

Clive

Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post

I have purchased three sureflo washdown Faucet (called taps in Australia) Model # 5358221 Manuf. # 133-0216-SS from West Marine to replace the original taps. However, I am unable to obtain hose fittings in Australia to fit to the US washdown taps. I have tried Whitworths and all the main plumbing suppliers. Any suggestions.

Clive
Hello Clive

Need info to help :-

What sort of fitting are we looking for ? Male or Female, Size-diameter, metric or BSP (British Standard Pipe - generally 1/2" or 3/4") Plastic, brass/bronze, stainless ??

Because West Marine is essentially an American company. The faucet fitting may be NPT threaded, if so adapters are available.

Check McMaster Carr .C L I C K

Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Admiral

Yes, the fittings are not metric, so you might have some trouble finding them in Oz. The fitting for this tap is a standard garden hose fitting. I think there's a KMart in Sydney, you might ask them if they can get you the US garden hose fittings. Or, try Defender - another marine chandlery in the US that is exceptionally good at filling requests - though in this case it will be expensive for you to obtain. Defender Defender is very often cheaper than West Marine.

Or. Amazon.com ships to Australia. Here's search results from their web site: Amazon Hose Fittings

I hope this helps.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Suggest that if you want to make certain that you're getting what you really want, you stick with a marine industry vendor. I love Amazon.com and buy alot from them but have been horrified by some of the "wrong product" things they've managed to ship to me. Defender and West Marine are well known and large. You can also get things from Downwind Marine (California) link here and they are experienced with shipping internationally to cruisers all over. If it's not on their website, just email them info@downwindmarine.com and tell them what you're needing. They have much more in the store than what is online. I always like bringing them up as a source because they've been supporting cruisers internationally for the past couple decades and aren't a huge company.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Admiral

Hello Clive,

Returning to your original post in the quest for connectors in Australia. West Marine do carry the connectors for your Washdown Faucets (taps) Click image for larger version

Name:	West Marine washdown Faucet.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1621

If you go to their on line website, check the listing for connectors,you will find (amongst others options) "Seatech's Quick connect plumbing fittings A. Female Swivel Connector, 15mm x 1/2" Nps"

see Seatech's website:-

C L I C K - CONNECTORS

BTW, as mentioned before, American pipe fitting are threaded to the NPT standard - these fittings are Male and Female tapered. which means the common Australian fittings being straight and without a taper will not screw in more than a couple of threads.

Pipe fittings in Australia are based on the BSP system and metric

since 1988. (Although Australia metricated in the 70's)

Richard
Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hello Clive

Need info to help :-

What sort of fitting are we looking for ? Male or Female, Size-diameter, metric or BSP (British Standard Pipe - generally 1/2" or 3/4") Plastic, brass/bronze, stainless ??

Because West Marine is essentially an American company. The faucet fitting may be NPT threaded, if so adapters are available.

Check McMaster Carr .C L I C K
Old 12-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Ensign

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your help. I think I have located a source in Sydney, Australia.

Cheers

Clive.