Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #1
Admiral

I have a number of engine manuals in pdf format that are full of information, but many are too large to send via my server and gmail. The Yanmar in paticular

I found a program that can extract and file individual pages, (including graphics, pictures)

C L I C K

Best so far.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Just dump them on one of the free upload sites, like this one:

http://www.megaupload.com/

Then you send someone a link, and voila!

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post

Just dump them on one of the free upload sites, like this one:

http://www.megaupload.com/

Then you send someone a link, and voila!

Rob
How do you "dump" them on a free upload site , when Gmail and the recipient's server refuse to load the attachment because it is too large. "The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit (35882577 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the message size and try again."

No Voila!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
Admiral

Gmail? Just upload direct from your computer with this thing. It doesn't use email at all.

Rob

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:

Gmail? Just upload direct from your computer with this thing. It doesn't use email at all.

Rob
haiqu,

Please excuse me, but what is "this thing" ?

I am not sure if you bothered to read my posts? So that I make myself clear :-

I do not have the original links for these manuals.

I am no able to send these manuals from my computer/s.

When I have tried to send these via my computer the immediate response is "The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit (35882577 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the message size and try again."

It would be useful if you can explain in detail as to how to send these very large attachments from my computer, so that the recipient can receive it on his computer.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

MMNETSEA,

If you have the .pdf files on your computer and can open each one, an easy way to do it is open each file and choose a number of pages to print. However, instead of printing to your printer, select to "print to file" making the file a .pdf. You may choose to print by chapter, or so many pages, etc. Choose good and orderly file names of course! Then, you can email the .pdf files (well named and ordered) via separate emails to who ever needs the info. On the other end, that person may (or may not) have the ability to concatenate (add together) the files depending on the OS and software they have available.

I hope that is helpful.

Regards,

Brenda

PS you can also use a site like megaupload.com as suggested. There, you will not email the files but rather will use an interface offered by that site to upload the files via the internet--much like we upload photos here directly on CL. If you have a web server or blog, you may be able to upload the large files to that site for others to access as well. I do that all the time as it is an easy method--if you have your site/server.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

MMNETSEA,

If you have the .pdf files on your computer and can open each one, an easy way to do it is open each file and choose a number of pages to print. However, instead of printing to your printer, select to "print to file" making the file a .pdf. You may choose to print by chapter, or so many pages, etc. Choose good and orderly file names of course! Then, you can email the .pdf files (well named and ordered) via separate emails to who ever needs the info. On the other end, that person may (or may not) have the ability to concatenate (add together) the files depending on the OS and software they have available.

I hope that is helpful.

Regards,

Brenda

PS you can also use a site like megaupload.com as suggested. There, you will not email the files but rather will use an interface offered by that site to upload the files via the internet--much like we upload photos here directly on CL. If you have a web server or blog, you may be able to upload the large files to that site for others to access as well. I do that all the time as it is an easy method--if you have your site/server.
Hi Brenda, That,s exactly what I do with this program, It allows the extraction of whatever pages needed - I convert those at the same time to .png or .jpg format. Then send the off in batches that my ISP, Email client and the server at both ends will allow,

As far as the PS suggests - The difficulty here is Upload speed, my average is no better than 30 Kbps (not KBps) Just to load the 50MByte manual to an internet file storage facility would take forever. What is not understood is that we are International, and in many places where cruisers find themselves, high speed internet does not exist. This little program has enabled me to send specific categories of information from the workshop manuals.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hi Brenda, That,s exactly what I do with this program, It allows the extraction of whatever pages needed - I convert those at the same time to .png or .jpg format. Then send the off in batches that my ISP, Email client and the server at both ends will allow,

As far as the PS suggests - The difficulty here is Upload speed, my average is no better than 30 Kbps (not KBps) Just to load the 50MByte manual to an internet file storage facility would take forever. What is not understood is that we are International, and in many places where cruisers find themselves, high speed internet does not exist. This little program has enabled me to send specific categories of information from the workshop manuals.
Hey 'good-loolin' cobber - Is your 3rd-world computer handicapped or maybe you should plug-it-in. Maybe you should try two strings between the tin cans, instead of just one, eh? Even I get 100 Mbps & Far North Qld is definately a 3rd world communications nightmare. Y'all on board keep well. Ciao, 'jj-geri-hat-trick' Thanks for your valued in-put to the 'stelth' saga. Much being learned in there. jj[/size][/font]
Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

Hey 'good-looking' cobber - Is your 3rd-world computer handicapped or maybe you should plug-it-in. Maybe you should try two strings between the tin cans, instead of just one, eh? Even I get 100 Mbps & Far North Qld is definately a 3rd world communications nightmare. Y'all on board keep well. Ciao, 'jj-geri-hat-trick' Thanks for your valued in-put to the 'stealth' saga. Much being learned in there. jj
Send the money = by Pay Pal - monthly better than quarterly
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:

haiqu,

Please excuse me, but what is "this thing" ?

I am not sure if you bothered to read my posts? So that I make myself clear :-

I do not have the original links for these manuals.

I am no able to send these manuals from my computer/s.

When I have tried to send these via my computer the immediate response is "The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit (35882577 bytes) of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the message size and try again."

It would be useful if you can explain in detail as to how to send these very large attachments from my computer, so that the recipient can receive it on his computer.
I think you'll find the answer to which "thing" I was referring to back two messages. As I say, it doesn't matter what Gmail tells you because upload sites don't use email.

Basic instructions:

1. Open an account on Megaupload

2. Click one button, and select the file to send.

3. Record the address given at the end, and send that to whoever wanted the file.

I've used it for 50Mb files. It's not rocket surgery.

Rob

Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:

I think you'll find the answer to which "thing" I was referring to back two messages. As I say, it doesn't matter what Gmail tells you because upload sites don't use email.

Basic instructions:

1. Open an account on Megaupload

2. Click one button, and select the file to send.

3. Record the address given at the end, and send that to whoever wanted the file.

I've used it for 50Mb files. It's not rocket surgery.

Rob
Could I suggest that you read the reply to the PS in post 7 - which I repeat :- The difficulty here is Upload speed, my average is no better than 30 Kbps (not KBps) Just to load the 50MByte manual to an internet file storage facility would take forever. What is not understood is that we are International, and in many places where cruisers find themselves, high speed internet does not exist. This little program has enabled me to send specific categories of information from the workshop manuals.

I am fully conversant with internet file storage facilities - even my own ISP offers this service, however, it limits the storage to 50 MBytes per month - without accrual.

Whether you are able to do use it for 50Mb files is your business, 50Mb would be quite useless for my purposes. I do not know what you mean by 'rocket surgery'. The Sarcasm is not appreciated.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:

Could I suggest that you read the reply to the PS in post 7 - which I repeat :- The difficulty here is Upload speed, my average is no better than 30 Kbps (not KBps) Just to load the 50MByte manual to an internet file storage facility would take forever. What is not understood is that we are International, and in many places where cruisers find themselves, high speed internet does not exist. This little program has enabled me to send specific categories of information from the workshop manuals.

I am fully conversant with internet file storage facilities - even my own ISP offers this service, however, it limits the storage to 50 MBytes per month - without accrual.

Whether you are able to do use it for 50Mb files is your business, 50Mb would be quite useless for my purposes. I do not know what you mean by 'rocket surgery'. The Sarcasm is not appreciated.
I was answering post number 5, you didn't introduce your bandwidth problems until later, after trying the furphy about GMail. Trying to look bright about the internet now won't do you any good.

I might also point out that anyone who goes to sea without ALL the proper documentation needs their head read. Relying on SeaMail or something only slightly better for the transfer of large docs is pretty dumb.

Meanwhile, may I suggest you lighten up? Sheesh,makes me nervous just trying to comprehend how you can be so wound up about a simple comment on a forum.

haiqu