Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser
Default glind heat exchanger

Hi All,

As is the want of boats, my hot water system has decided it wished to retire to a colder climate, in other words it doesn't heat anymore .

I am contemplating fitting a Glind heat exchanger instead of a traditional HWS. It does mean we have to run the engine to get hot water but will free up almost a cubic metre as well as lose 40+kgs.

Anyone got an opinion that may sway me either way?

Cheers
Rob & Annette

Old 05-08-2014, 02:15 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Depends on how often you would normally run the engine. If you're using it to charge the batteries anyhow then this sounds like a good idea, might as well use that waste heat. Although personally I think hot water showers are a luxury, especially in Qld. I take it SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) requires it?

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I don't know a lot about the Glind unit, however I note that generally it is fitted without a storage tank. I have always used a traditional heat exchanger with an insulated holding tank, so that hot water (courtesy of the engine's waste heat) is available across the day, not just when the engine is running.

In times not so long ago, refrigeration compressors and the heat exchanger required a half hour's engine running time a day to keep the water hot and the beer cold. It always seemed to work well for me.

The Glind seems to have a lot going for it and, If you do go ahead with it, I would like to hear your impressions. My current boat is equipped with a 12v fridge/freezer (not the equal of the old Tecomseh engine driven compressor and brine tanks) and I am using a solar shower. I intend to fit a heat exchanger and am very interested in the Glind.

I can't agree with the notion of cold showers on a cruising boat. Even in the tropics, after a wet night in the cockpit, there's nothing quite so restoratively comforting as a hot shower.

I have often wondered about using the portable HWS such as this http://www.coleman.com/product/hot-w...0#.U2sLGGeKCN0 Has anyone got experience with these?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

Thanks Haiqu and Auzzee.

Now on the Coleman HWOD, heat regulated so the precious don't burn themselves. It would have to be very close to your shower location. They are kind of reliable but bloody expensive once you buy all the accessories required to operate in all formats.
P.S. I work part time for BCF so I see more than a few come back with problems. The other to consider is the Aqua cube logic.

Cheers
Rob & Annette