Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Ensign

I noticed a discolouration of the water, an oily sheen from my generators. This is worrying me.

I've started researching online and there are equipment on the market that you can install in the wet exhaust system that will get rid of this. However, before I'd be interested in that expense, I'd like to make sure I've covered all the bases from a maintenance point of view. I was wondering if any one can give me some pointers regarding the possible causes of this as well as possibly discussung ways to remedy it.

Thank you.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Admiral

Husband Peter gives these possibilities. *First, and easiest to check and fix - a blown oil cooler. *Common symptom is that your oil volume increases - i.e., check your dipstick, run generator, when it stops and cools, check dipstick again. *If the level is slightly higher than before, the oil cooler is your most likely culprit. *Easy to fix - buy a new one. *Further way to check, remove the oil cooler, plug up one side of the oil line through the cooler, attach an air pump to the other side of the oil line. *Immerse in a bucket of water and pump - if bubbles come out, that's the problem. *If that's it, you also have to get the water out of the engine.

Another possibility is a blown head gasket. *Or a cracked head. *

Each of them is serious enough that you should try to rule them out before working on just preventing oil from going overboard.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Ensign

[QUOTE=name='JeanneP' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:35 AM' post='33963']

Husband Peter gives these possibilities...

Thanks for the reply.The matter is not that serious. It's more of a general problem that you notice at every dock from most yachts generators. A lights sheen, almost like it can be fuel in the exhaust discharge...I was thinking along the lines fo pulling the injectors for inspection and checking valve/ tappet clearances. Am I thinking correctly?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Ensign

Yes, you are on the right track, as the other suggestions, always do the cheapest, most likely items first, and injectors are right up there for poor combustion leading to oily sheen. If you have good injectors, next item to check is the delivery valve(s) of the injection pump. Another item for poor combustion common in gen sets is running at low loads, and long runs at low loads (under 70-80%, so 34 amps on a 6kw gen set rated at 40 amps) because you make carbon that builds up in the exhaust ports, restricting air flow, making the mixture fuel rich therefor oil sheen. Pulling and cleaning the exhaust manifold (and avoiding low load running) is also an easy check to solve the sheen.

best of luck!