Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Mav
Ensign

My old transmission finally gave up after more than 50 years of service and I'm now looking for a replacement Paragon G300. its a 3:1 reduction and has a step down of about 1.75" from the engine output spline. It's about 17" long overall with a 4" coupling. The reduction is water cooled. I have looked everywhere and hopefully someone will have one or know someone who does. There may be anothe brand which will fit who knows. Thanks to all.

Mav

Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post

My old transmission finally gave up after more than 50 years of service and I'm now looking for a replacement Paragon G300. its a 3:1 reduction and has a step down of about 1.75" from the engine output spline. It's about 17" long overall with a 4" coupling. The reduction is water cooled. I have looked everywhere and hopefully someone will have one or know someone who does. There may be anothe brand which will fit who knows. Thanks to all.

Mav
Hi Mav, should be able to get a good match - if not exact. Need to know the engine's output shaft KW or HP ?? I have done a few conversions to new gearboxes.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #3
Mav
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hi Mav, should be able to get a good match - if not exact. Need to know the engine's output shaft KW or HP ?? I have done a few conversions to new gearboxes.
Hi thanks for getting back to me. The engine is an old but still reliable Ford 2700 from the '50s. 4 cylinder and 85hp. Shaft is 1 1/2" and turns a 3 blade LH 22x18 prop. Look forward to hearing back. Boat is in Honolulu.

Mav
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:

Hi thanks for getting back to me. The engine is an old but still reliable Ford 2700 from the '50s. 4 cylinder and 85hp. Shaft is 1 1/2" and turns a 3 blade LH 22x18 prop. Look forward to hearing back. Boat is in Honolulu.

Mav
Hi Mav

The Most common model in the 2700 series is the Ford 2701E also known as the 240 - its HP is rated at differing RPM is between 70 and 74 HP.

Rebuild kits are still available (If necessary) at around $800.00 US containing Pistons, Rings,Main bearings, Conrod bearings, Thrust washers,Full gasket set including front and rear seals.

As it is most unlikely that you will be able to either replace the Paragon or repair it satisfactorily. The best bet is to find a suitable current day model that will replace easily. A challenge will be to find a way of "closing the gap" Your 17" (430mm) long Paragon, is a fair bit longer than the average modern gearbox of only 250mm.

Need to check that measurement again. It may be necessary to introduce a steel coupling between the new gearbox's output flange and the existing propshaft coupling - not impossible.

The other issue is to match as near as possible the Paragon's reduction of 3:1.

A 2.8:1 is about the greatest one in the size suitable for the 2071E. The ones that come to mind are the ZF 15, The TM345 from Technodrive And the PRM 150. A used box in good nick is worth considering.

Richard
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Mav
Ensign

Thanks Richard, unfortunately all of the models you suggested appear to have a 3" or so step between shafts and a down angle of 8" or so. I continue on my search

Mav
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Ensign

Aren't Velvet drives about the same size-with similar ratios.? They are very plentiful. Bob
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Admiral

Thanks Bob what models Borg Warner ??
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:

Thanks Richard, unfortunately all of the models you suggested appear to have a 3" or so step between shafts and a down angle of 8" or so. I continue on my search

Mav
Mav , can you can post a Graphic of your Paragon - having a little difficulty in visualizing the description. Do you mean 8" (inches) or 8 degrees ??

Richard
Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Ensign

you'lll have to look it up on line to get the right ration ad check specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Thanks Bob what models Borg Warner ??
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
Admiral

Hello Mav,

The nearest match is the Borgwarner 71-72 IN LINE

Its Reduction is 2:91

Length on the 71C is 16.89 " and on the 72c the length is 17.79"

One on these would mean inserting a small spacer block under each engine mounting.

BW7172.pdf

You may be able to find a used one of the above in good condition.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #11
Mav
Ensign

Thanks for the info, unfortunately my Paragon has a step-down of 1.7" so the velvet drive doesnt work and I dont have the space to lower my engine. The Paragon PM30 looks a good fit but almost impossible to find even though it shows as a current model. Can anyone help with locating one of these in LH?