Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi,

I am considering repowering my 17,000lb Pearson 39 Yawl. She has an original Westerbeke 4-91 that is very tired and overheats. Considering Yanmar 40hp or Vetus.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Mostly local cruising (Chesapeake Bay) and some offshore. (single handed mostly)

Thanks

Cheers,

Alan

Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Alan,,

Depending how much is space available , and that means all the critical measurements , replacing a 30 HP engine with another needs some thought :-

Naturally aspirated vs.. Turbo ?

Good torque at around 1700 rpm = motorsailing/cruising ?

Existing transmission ?

Method of Prop-shaft Coupling ?

etc....

Richard

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I have a Vetus, older model P.409 based on the Peugeot engine (newer ones are marinised Mitsubishis). Very nice running, quiet, and relatively lean on fuel for a 52HP.

Have you considered going electric? There's been some good articles recently about the newer electric engines and if you're looking at a complete repower then it's not that much more expensive than going diesel, at significantly less weight and space used. You end up with much less weight of engine, some of which of course is used up by more batteries and genset, etc, but you end up with much quieter running as well. Having done the research I have pretty much decided on going electric when my Vetus gives up the ghost which hopefully will be a good few years yet.

If you mostly do coastal cruising and can hook up to shore power for long periods then electric is the business.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Ensign

Thank you Richard.

Plenty of Room as the Westy is a big engine. Have plenty of width too. The 4-91 was actually rated at 25hp in 1975. Some cruising the East Coast is planned. Plan to use a three bladed feathering prop. Currently use and will still need to use a Walters V-Drive, but will use new tranny. As I look further into this I am considering either a Vetus (33hp or 42 hp) or Yanmar (29hp or 39hp). I sail when I can and use the Iron Wind as necessary as sometimes you are going North on the Bay in a heavy chop against the tide with the wind funneling straight down the bay at 15-20 knots. Other times (August) there may be <5 knots of wind and a 3 knot current so I end up going backwards

I also have access to Westerbeke/Universal, Volvo-Penta, Nanni, Kubota, etc. Just about anything is available in Annapolis.

Thanks for any advice.

delatbabel: Where can I find info on Electric? Always willing to look.

Best to all,

Alan
Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I'll gather some sources and put up a page on the Cruising Wiki.

Tags
pearson