Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Auckland
Default Volvo Penta D1-30 and 130 Saildrive Issue

Hi I have a starboard D1-30 Volvo with a 130 sail drive. I got caught at low tide and stuck a little on a sand bank but was able to get clear and continued on my journey for about 2 hours. We motor sailed most of the way in light winds and everything seemed fine till I tried to set the anchor. When selecting reverse the starboard engine coughed and spluttered and if I tried to rev it I got black smoke and some black substance coming from the exhaust. If I tried to select reverse after that it would pretty much just conk out. I messed about with it and found that in neutral it revs fine and also in forward it behaves fine but as soon as I select reverse it either dies or struggles and won't rev. It was revving hard and working when I had to get off the sand bank so I think it may have been the cause but not one hundred per cent sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Brisbane

Hello,
Did you resolve the issue with the Saildrive? I've got a similar sounding issue. Looked at the Volvo operators manual and it's got a trouble shooting section for this issue but I'll have to look at that next weekend. I had a look at the prop and gave it a clean yesterday but in hindsight could have cleaned it a bit better as apperntly it doesn't take much to overload the engine

Tags
sail