Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Engines | Propulsion | Generators
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: grenoble
Default We look for the opinion of sailors to design an electricity générator

Hello,

I start an activity whose purpose is to design a hydro generator for cruising sailboat.

it is a system that is placed in the back of a sailboat and generates electricity to recharge the batteries when the boat is moving.
Its characteristic is to produce electricity with a low fluid velocity and with very little inertia, which is interesting for cruising yachts in slow motion.

We will start the production of prototypes.

To best meet the needs of boaters we posted a questionnaire that you can find here:

https://fr.surveymonkey.com/s/YX36P9V

If you'll take a few minutes to answer this questionnaire, your help will be very valuable.

I should add that I know the legitimate reluctance of forums to host commercial communications. I took contact with the board administrator one month ago to ask if there could be a problem with this message on the forum. As I did not get an answer, I take the liberty to send it.
If this is a problem I will remove it.

Sincerely.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Bon chance Jean.

The first page of your survey is only collecting data and not a single opinion, so I did not bother reading any further. Perhaps if you shared your ideas and some pros and cons you will get opinions.

Certainly I would love to discuss free electricity while sailing, but what do you have in mind to produce it?

With no design ideas it IS spam and against TOU here.

Ivo and just my opinion of course.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hello there,

I saw a note about your survey which was shared with all moderators. We did think it was a good idea to have the survey because the product is of interest to cruisers--so surprised that admin didn't send you a note. What is important to us here at CL is that you also take the time to come back to the forum and share information about your progress as you can.

If you post your survey but do not come back to share with the community, your topic and survey may quickly disappear here. Also, you will be doing a great dis-service to anyone else who may wish to post a survey here. We will learn from your example--if it is poor, than you will have hurt the chances of others. Therefore, please do share information with us about your progress. Please also share some information up front about your project. Who owns your company? Sailors? Cruisers? why have you decided to try and come up with this project/product? Please share a bit of info for us there.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: grenoble

Thank you for your encouragement.

I am very interested to share ideas with all contributors.
Some more news about our activity :
I continue to visit European shows to fully understand the needs of sailers. After Southampton, I was last week at the Amsterdam boat show. Next week I will be a the "Grand Pavois" in La Rochelle, France.
The design of our first prototype is progressing well. We expect to start to test it by the end of November. At this time we will have more informations about the performances of our prototype.
Then we will have a first pre-series that we will test in real situations.

On our web site we just have posted a video showing a first demonstrator in action.

If you agree, I will post regular updates on the development of our hydrogenerator.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Jean

Your design concept seems to be a bit fuzzy to me and in my opinion you should try to work on clarifying that. So far there is not the foggiest idea on what your planned electricite generateur involves.

Are there blades, vanes, propellers, paddle wheels or nuclear fusion or bioluminescence caused by boat wake collected and harnessed into electricity? What will actually generate electrons? If you cannot or do not wish to give any information on this then you are only doing market research under the flag of getting opinions. My opinion is you are then wasting time and space here.

Again, just my opinion.

Ivo
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Jean, I encourage you to continue your research and development. Without people prepared to try to provide something new, we are doomed to repetition. Most people understand the need for a degree of secrecy when developing a new idea.

If I, as a part of the CL sailing community, can assist you by providing feedback in any form, I will gladly do so in the hope that your ideas will eventually be of benefit to the sailing world.

I look forward to your continuing updates and am encouraged to know you are travelling far and wide in an attempt to understand the needs of the market.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail