Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Peterborough
Default Yanmar Alternator Options

Greetings all. I am currently looking to upgrade the alternator on my Yanmar 4JH3E...it has the factory standard 55 Amp. Has anyone had any luck finding compatible alternators with respect to Yanmar mounting foot, in 100 or higher A alternators. Boat is Corbin 39 currently under (or continuously to be honest) refit and I would like to bump up my output without getting into the Balmar type of expense. This will come, but currently boat is seasonal use in Lake Ontario so I am not concerned for the moment with bullet proof marine alternator options. Tks in advance. Bill (Blondie Too).

Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Can't help you other than to say the Balmar would be your best long term solution.
Best of luck.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

I had replaced the factory alternator on my old Yanmar 30 with a Balmar 100a. It performed very well. Two years ago I replaced the engine with the newest Yanmar and then removed its alternator and installed my old Balmar. It has been working very well.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

I have the exact same engine as you and just last week installed a 125 amp alternator. I ordered it from Hamilton Ferris on Cape Cod. Alternator cost $399. It runs on one belt. Our's is externally regulated by a Balmar Max Charge MC-612 and works beautifully. A worthy investment since we live aboard with deep freeze & fridge & TV & DVD & computers & fans & lights & radios & stereo & Play Station & Wii & pressure water... and more.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Newport, RI
Vessel Name: Blackthorn

Since the boat is for seasonal use, you may just want to upgrade to an external regulator. It involves removing your alternator, taking it to a shop and have it converted for external regulation and adding a Balmar Max Charge MC-612 regulator. This is what I did seven years ago and have found that a larger alternator wasn't necessary even though we have lived aboard for the past three years.
You may also want to consider adding solar panels and/or a wind generator to the boat in lieu of upgrading the alternator. Solar works even when you aren't there and adds no additional hours to the engine.

Jim
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I recommend dropping these guys a line....

Cruise RO Water and Power

Fellow cruiser who uses everything he sells. They have some nice Yanmar specific products that will greatly improve your electrical generation capability.