Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Does anybody have insight into the ICOM PCR2500 PC Controlled Receiver?
Hi Ken,

Good receiver - bit expensive ! But can buy for around 630 $ US for factory recon. guaranteed. Check outfit called HamAv Electronics.

Also a forum discussing this model :-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcr2500/

The speakers are too small to give really sound. However, connecting to PC's audio system via USB then on to a good amplifier would be an answer.

Depending what HF Marine transceiver you have on board, most have access to AM frequencies reception of which you can also route to a good amplifier.

Richard

Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Here is what I'm really looking at buying right now...the Icom M802. What I need to know is what are all the addition systems and cables that I need to buy. I just installed my new back stay antenna, so I know I need the AT140 automatic tuner...what cable do I need between the M802 and the tuner.

Also, what software and cables will I need to get weather fax and send email from my laptop connected to the M802?

I'm presently working on cabling my two stainless steel water tanks together as couterpoise

Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #23
Admiral

Ah...just found this great bit of information online that answers all my above questions and then some!

http://www.marineelectronicsjournal.com/ho...i?article_id=81
Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #24
Admiral

Quote:
Ah...just found this great bit of information online that answers all my above questions and then some!

http://www.marineelectronicsjournal.com/ho...i?article_id=81
The Icom M802 is a complex piece of gear - it requires an external tuner . There are issues when it comes to email via this radio :- "The front panel also contains a button for e-mail. The equipment is sold as “e-mail ready.” Several sailors spotted the twin computer DB9 jacks on the black box front and were all set to plug in for e-mail capabilities when they discovered something was missing—the SCS PTC II PACTOR data controller. The ICOM M802 does not offer e-mail capabilities by simply plugging in your computer. ICOM dealers will offer the SCS PTC II data controller for either regular speed or high-speed access, so plan on an additional $1,000 investment in addition to your supplied laptop computer." (this comment from marineelectronicsjournal )

An excellent Icom is the 737 , relatively simple to use - has a built in tuner - Check this review :-

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1026?eh...bbe4d278dd41b83

The Kenwoods with built-in tuners worth looking at are the TS 480SAT (excellent for cruising)

and the larger TS 2000 series .

The cable from the backstay to the tuner is a well Rubber and PVC insulated tinned copper stranded wire :-

S.W.G. Wire Number A.W.G. or B&S A.W.G. Metric

0.2120 Inches # 5 0.1819 inches 4,621mm

NB. If the tuner is built-in to the radio follow installation instructions.

When connecting the tanks use W - I - D - E strips of copper

Richard
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #25
Admiral

That is the information that I was looking for! I heard someone mention something about the M802 not being exactly Email ready as you p[ointed out, but nobody mentioned that it needed an addition $1000 worth of hardware.

Thanks Richard!!!!

Also,

What additional equipment is needed with the TS480SAT in order to get weather fax and send email?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #26
Admiral

Quote:
That is the information that I was looking for! I heard someone mention something about the M802 not being exactly Email ready as you p[ointed out, but nobody mentioned that it needed an addition $1000 worth of hardware.

Thanks Richard!!!!

Also,

What additional equipment is needed with the TS480SAT in order to get weather fax and send email?
As far as Weatherfax is concerned - many cruisers obtain weather using grib files by email instead :- have a look at , http://www.franksingleton.clara.net/grib.html

I will send rest of your question to The expert on the subject by email - he normally doesn't take long for an answer, depending how he returns I will probably forward his response to you by email .

Richard

PS :- http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0480.html
Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
As far as Weatherfax is concerned - many cruisers obtain weather using grib files by email instead :- have a look at , http://www.franksingleton.clara.net/grib.html

I will send rest of your question to The expert on the subject by email - he normally doesn't take long for an answer, depending how he returns I will probably forward his response to you by email .

Richard

PS :- http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0480.html
Hi Ken,

My Expert (who is in Sydney - Australia) gave me the following Contacts for Pactor installation and Sailmail (also Winlink for HAMs) in your neck of the woods :-

Alameda CA, HF Radio Onboard +1 510 814 8888 Don Melcher <info@hfradio.com>

Sausalito CA, Farallon Electronics +1 415 331 1924 Eric Steinberg <pactor@yachtwire.com>

Sausalito CA, Maritime Electronics +1 415 332 5086 Brian Backer <brian@maritimeelectronics.com>

Santa Cruz CA, Maritime Electronics +1 800-582-1333 Terence M. Boland <MESCUSA@att.net>

Dana Point Harbor CA, RadioDana Maritime +1 949 275-5514 Paul Robert <radiodana@bellsouth.net>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mukilteo WA ,Windward Communications +1 425 353 6520 Chip Adams <windward@wpfae.org>

Anacortes WA, Anacortes Marine Electronics +1 360 293 6100 Bryan Hennessy <info@anacortesmarine.com>

Seattle WA, Offshore Store, +1 206 632 3025 Brian Rickard sales@offshorestore.com

Seattle WA, Radio University, +1 206 384 1201 James Willis sales@radiouniversity.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I will send a pdf file which shows the schematic for connecting a Kenwood TS 480SAT to a pactor - But I will need your email address via PM .

The Pactor info is to be found in this website :- http://www.scs-ptc.com/

Richard