Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist
Default long lasting 12v fan.

Hi guys, been away for a while.
We are no longer live a boards and let's face it. Living on land is just depressing. So by and large I have stayed away because being on here just reminds me that I'm no longer on a boat...

We are now in a cabin in the mountains of Montana and I built the cabin very much like a boat. All 12v lights, fridge, fans, with a small inverter for lap tops. .... the cabin has an open loft and as expected all the heat goes straight up. Not a problem with a fan kicking the heat back down but under constant duty they keep burning up. We had caframo ($60) from west marine but it only lasted about 6 months... so we bought cheap automotive ones ($15) and they actually lasted longer but they are rediculously noisy... anyone know of a good brushless 12v multi speed rotating fan that will last and last?
Personaly I'd rather pay $200 for a fan that last than replace a $20 fan a couple times a year...

Thanks for the help.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hey there, welcome to stop in any time! I can't help but I'll give you a couple "ideas"

It sounds like you're working with a large area and a lightweight (hand built) ceiling fan would actually be your thing to have. Old style with external motor would likely allow you to use a modern 12V brushless one of your desire and do the gear reduction needed. But ... if not that .... read on:

We've taken to the large (9" or so diameter) gamer fans that you can get at Fryes Electronics. We have three of them wired for 12V, they'r extremely quiet (unlike the smaller ones), and only use about 330 mA each. We have all in use pretty much all the time in the winter to move the warm air from the heater to the farther reaches of the boat.

Your cubic feet of airspace is likely quite large and so I'd be looking to a ceiling fan and looking to design/build it myself.

Fair winds,
Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #3
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Hey Brenda, thanks for the feedback.

We actually have ceiling fans from backwoodsolar that are pretty good at moving air are silent and long lasting but in the space where we want to throw air down from the loft we have a chandelier so a ceiling fan won't fit... I'll take a look at fryes and see if the cfm on those gamer fans will get the job done.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Alimos

On our boats we use Hella 2 Speed ‘Turbo’ Fan 12v and the older one (since 2008) is still working. Accessories, Fans, - Hella Marine

It may meet your requirements. They are a little bit "loud" about 35-40db but i think it is acceptable if it is a bigger room than a boat cabin.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
cat herder

Home Port: varies
Vessel Name: solitary bird
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i like 02cool... quiet and last me 4 years or until second 4 1/2 ft drop .... and customer service was excellent, as they replaced my broken fan with another good one...
had bad luck with caframo--only lasted me one season..ggrrr. and customer service was not so good..

My link

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It's nice to see you back Zee. Hope all is well with both you and the vessel. Where are you sailing?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
cat herder

Home Port: varies
Vessel Name: solitary bird
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

engine and injector pumps newly rebuilt-- and i am readying to head north to mazatlan and or guaymas , mx for further repairs so i can sail around without assistance of anyone else .. lol
had some ridiculous wannabe helpers here who seemed to want cruise ship excursions without contributing...but first i need to address the outflow hose for head... yummy fun... ggggrrrrrr one alleged helper decided to put tp into head not the bag next to head.... fun and games with idjits who do not have capability of following instructions.... always fun....

btw--02cool fans are around 25 usd at walmart....

My link

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote