Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Masterplan

Home Port: Auckland
Vessel Name: Scoots

Hi All,

I've got a Moody 419 centre cockpit yacht in New Zealand that's in need of a new 230v 50Hz AC system.

The main demand for AC power is the water maker pumps. Calculated loads 2.15kw ( 9.35amp ) but the start up loads will be higher.

From the marketing blurb on the new Mastervolt GPX-5 it looks like a very appealing combination of generator / inverter / charger that would suit my needs. However it's new technology and I'm interested t hear from anyone that has installed it and what the experience has been. Any teething problems? www.mastervolt.com/gpx

I have 450 amp hour gel 12v domestic batteries and it would seem from the literature that I might have to increase the capacity to 600 amp hour.

Cheers

Darryl

Old 03-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Ensign

Good day,

You calculate near voltage "12V".

2,15Kw / 12V = 179,17A

It will be 179,16A and not 9,35A.

I greet

Jan

Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

My first reaction was to dislike the idea that the components are integrated. It means you can't modify it based on your needs, you can't replace individual parts if they fail.

But looking at it - it does offer a lot of plug and play and in theory the parts have been engineered to work well together. It might very well be a major win. Cleans up the engine room a bit too not having three different units and associated wiring running around.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Masterplan

Home Port: Auckland
Vessel Name: Scoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
My first reaction was to dislike the idea that the components are integrated. It means you can't modify it based on your needs, you can't replace individual parts if they fail.

But looking at it - it does offer a lot of plug and play and in theory the parts have been engineered to work well together. It might very well be a major win. Cleans up the engine room a bit too not having three different units and associated wiring running around.
Thanks.

Have subsequently found that the units won't be available in New Zealand until next year so have moved on to considring a Vetus generator with a Victron Inverter / Charger