Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

I recently had my Genoa split in two. It was an old sail and not worthy of the expense to repair so I am in the market for new sails (My main is of the same age and likely to fail soon too.)

My frustrations:

1. I have a very standard boat - a Catalina 42 - over 1,000 in use. Why does it seem to take two or three weeks for sail lofts to get back to me with a quote? At this level of customer service why should I expect that they will deliver on time as promised?

2. I have been unable to find a single source of a side by side comparison of sails by major manufacturers. Lots of testimonials - "I bought a sail from xxx loft and it is great." How do they know its great? What other loft's sails did they try? None of the major magazines seem to have ever published comparisons. What I am looking for is something like the multitude of anchor comparisons that one finds in various publications. Is the reality that all lofts are pretty much the same?

Your thoughts please...

PS - re #2 - perhaps there is a significant difference in lofts when purchasing high end racing sails. I am looking for blue water offshore sails.

Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Side-by-side comparisons aren't really all that appropriate. Get yourself a copy of the Sailmakers' Apprentice and read it--you'll then understand quite a bit about sail construction and materials as well as repair. You might be happy at that point when interviewing lofts because you'll be comfortable with your own knowledge of sails and sailmaking.

Local sail lofts end up with loyal followers. You can ask cruisers or yacht club members near you and you are likely to find an affinity for a particular local sail loft. To a certain extent, sails for a production boat are basically a "commodity" type purchase. Your boat owners' group is a good place to start asking questions of others who have used your boat as you plan to use it.

Beyond that, local to where you are start asking questions. I also have found that the good sailmakers aren't in any hurries to jump through hoops and get quotes to you for your new sails. They're in high demand and busy. If you wish to go with a "commodity" sail, you can contact Rolly Tasker, btw.

Good luck

Here's a couple of our previous CL topics on sails:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...howtopic=14984

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...showtopic=8385

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by svReboot View Post

I recently had my Genoa split in two. It was an old sail and not worthy of the expense to repair so I am in the market for new sails (My main is of the same age and likely to fail soon too.)

My frustrations:

1. I have a very standard boat - a Catalina 42 - over 1,000 in use. Why does it seem to take two or three weeks for sail lofts to get back to me with a quote? At this level of customer service why should I expect that they will deliver on time as promised?

2. I have been unable to find a single source of a side by side comparison of sails by major manufacturers. Lots of testimonials - "I bought a sail from xxx loft and it is great." How do they know its great? What other loft's sails did they try? None of the major magazines seem to have ever published comparisons. What I am looking for is something like the multitude of anchor comparisons that one finds in various publications. Is the reality that all lofts are pretty much the same?

Your thoughts please...

PS - re #2 - perhaps there is a significant difference in lofts when purchasing high end racing sails. I am looking for blue water offshore sails.
Gooday - svReboot - aka RogJJ - Don't get/be frustrated, please. Just look in the right place. Right here - in these pages. Go into 'Bosun's Locker, open 'Rigging & Sails', scroll down to 'Extra large roach mainsail' - rated as a 4 out of 5 quality subject/article which is only 3 subjects under yours. Read everything that has been discussed probably several times (it ltook me far longer to absorb all the value offered) and then get in touch with Bob Pattison. If he can't 'get you on the best, right track' (as in a 10 out of 10)- then wiwthout much doubt - the rest of us would fall much shorter of your expectations. I've observed -over time on the waterfront & messing around in boats - 'The quality of the response/answer is directly & proportionately related to the wording & intelegent value of the question asked'. After over 50 years of sailing, cruising, racing & 'messing around in boats' I would got directly to - (goal & not pay $200) - Bob & follow his advise. I'd even sail from Australia to his loft headquarters to have him in charge of my destiny (sails). Y'all have a SUPA day - sure hope it's on the water in nice seas & fair winds. Ciao, 'jj-geri-hat-trick' PS. There's much more detail I could go into however - just get in touch with Bob so as not to get 'off subject'. james
Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

Thanks. I have gone back and read the threads you suggested.
Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Ensign

svReboot:

As a sailmaking professional I would just offer this simple advice; buying sails is not unlike having custom work done to your house: Even with 1000 C-42's out in the world, one could assume that at some point someone has replaced a furler or decided that the standard genoa is not their cup of tea and sail with smaller sails, or has decided to make it a cutter rig and requires now a yankee...I think you'll catch my drift.... things are not always so cut and dry.

But importantly and again, much like asking several contractors for a bid on the new addition to the house (which I'm in the process of doing!!) The first sign of a non-professional is lack of business skills...and this means not following up in very short order with either a 'basic' quotation or at least a letter or email asking for more information, so that she or he can at least get you rough number to start your process. I assume with my contractors that if they do not get back to me, that they are a.: too busy or b: non-professional. Either answer has me look elsewhere. I would do the same with sailmakers.

with regards,

Bob Pattison