Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I thought this discussion merrited a thread of it's own so here it is leading off with Redbopeeps quite inclusive list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
The basting tape is available in the USA from Sailrite. http://www.sailrite.com/

So far, my emergency sail repair kit includes the 120 yards of the basting tape (3/8") you're talking about as well as all the following:

UV resistant polyester thread of various weights,

a sailmaker's palm,

pliers and vicegrips (needlenose) for pulling needles through several layers of cloth (less risky than using the palm, IMHO),

beeswax,

a variety of sailmakers and leatherworking needles,

3 pairs of sharp scissors (one for leather, two for everything else),

a dozen #6 (7/8") and #9 (1-1/4") brass rings with liners for sewing in eyes for the sail slides to go on,

bronze rings (2" 2.5", 3") for cringles/tack/clew, thin brass for custom liners,

roundeye thimbles for the jacklines,

polyester 3 strand rope for jacklines,

30 yards of adhesive backed sail repair tape,

several weights of whipping twine,

sewing awl twine,

waxed flat and bobbin twine,

natural marlin and several sizes of synthetic marlin,

100 #4 (1/2") plain grommets,

approx 5 sq yards of 4 oz chrome-tanned leather for reinforcements and chafe guard,

similar quantity of 7 oz Latigo leather for heavier chafe guard on mast hoops, spars, etc,

several different widths of webbing,

grommet setting tools,

a portable industrial sewing machine w/zigzag stitch (Reliable brand, but identical to one of the Sailrite machines).

The things I don't have yet that I would like to get include extra sailcloth in 9 oz and 11 oz weights, leech line, extra boltrope and luffwire. There are surely other things, but I've yet to get them firmly onto my radar screen.
Sorry to say my sail repair kit seems pretty skint after reading Redbopeeps... but has thus far fulfilled my needs.

Sailors palm,

leatherman

scissors

couple hundred sq ft of 7oz sail cloth from an old genoa

100m waxed cotton sail thread

assorted needles

300m paracord

2 sided carpet tape

various whipping twines

I'd like to add to my set: a big grommet kit, a bunch of hanks (once I get rid of my crappy old roller furling), a sewing machine.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

[QUOTE=name='atavist' date='Dec 16 2009, 06:08 AM' post='39119'

I'd like to add to my set: a big grommet kit, a bunch of hanks (once I get rid of my crappy old roller furling), a sewing machine.

[/quote]

I forgot to mention the spare piston hanks, jackline piston hanks, and sailslides...this all ends up running over into my spare rigging bag which has loads of stuff in it like toggles, wire thimbles, shackles, blocks, etc...completely forgot about those hanks.

An immediate thread drift--Do you have the kind of roller furler that is just on a wire w/o a foil? It doesn't roller reef it simply furls. That's the oldfashioned kind I like as you can take it down easily and put a wire up in its place (if needed) for hanked on sails. Of course its nowhere near as tight of a stay as the newer foil kind of furler. The Code 0 furlers follow the same design. We'll eventually get that type of furler for the jib (11 feet forward of the stem on the bowsprit...) to keep us off the sprit during rough seas.

Back to sail parts and supplies--

If you want a good deal on piston hanks, start making friends with a couple large rigging lofts--they often convert sails from hanked-on to furler for people and will have the hanks from the conversion. If you can't find them that way, figure out what size you need (they range from 1/2" to about 4") and contact the used boatparts places as they'll have them too. You want the "sew on" type not the press-on type. Pick up a copy of The Sailmakers' Apprentice: A Guide for the Self-Reliant Sailor by Emiliano Marino--there on page 341 you'll see instructions for how to seize the hanks onto the sail. Further, if you have that book, you might be able to figure out how to properly convert your wire-luff headsail to a hanked on headsail. There's plenty of information about installing rings/eyelets and all kinds of finishwork in this reference book.

Once I picked up a copy of this book and inspected our sails, I was able to pick up things that would be needed to keep our sails in good repair. Many people keep an old sail with decent dacron around for use as spare sailcloth but I've decided that I need to purchase some new dacron because if I'm going to go sewing a repair onto the sail I want the cloth to last.

Regarding sewing machine--you can only do "edge repairs" with a machine that doesn't have a really big throat unless the sail is pretty small. Our sails are so large that they cannot fit on our machine so if I ever had to do seam repair across the sail's middle sections (say reinforce a reefing point or seam) I'd have to do it by hand.

I have a big modification to do to our mainsail (whole 'nother story) and I'm trying to figure out how to do it with our machine...

Seizing on hanks from the Sailmaker's Apprentice:

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Admiral

I have The Sailmakers Apprentice... that was actually one of the books in my Sailing Library before I ever stepped foot on a boat... good book...

My roller furling does have a foil but unfortunately the drum is part of the stay termination, so I can't just take it off and have a wire stay, I have to get a new headstay. As it is still holding up ok I'm waiting to rerig the whole boat before I mess with the headstay.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 12-17-2009, 03:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
I have The Sailmakers Apprentice... that was actually one of the books in my Sailing Library before I ever stepped foot on a boat... good book...

My roller furling does have a foil but unfortunately the drum is part of the stay termination, so I can't just take it off and have a wire stay, I have to get a new headstay. As it is still holding up ok I'm waiting to rerig the whole boat before I mess with the headstay.
Ah...well, you could make up your new headstay and install it pretty quickly you know. Unless you're planning on doing the whole re-rig soon, it seems that would be an easy, quick thing...can you tell I hate furlers?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Admiral

yeah me too... the problem isn't the cost of the stay itself... it's the sails... all I have at the moment is my roller furling working jib and storm sail... the working jib is pretty old so I'm not willing to pay to have it converted to hank on, nor do I think it's worth the time to convert it myself... so I'm waiting till I can also get new sails... hopefully soon...

I'm not sailing much at the moment anyhow...my crew/girlfriend just got a job waitressing at Duffy's and I just joined a gym for two months so probalby won't even pick up the hook for that long... time to save and get back in fighting form.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
yeah me too... the problem isn't the cost of the stay itself... it's the sails... all I have at the moment is my roller furling working jib and storm sail... the working jib is pretty old so I'm not willing to pay to have it converted to hank on, nor do I think it's worth the time to convert it myself... so I'm waiting till I can also get new sails... hopefully soon...

I'm not sailing much at the moment anyhow...my crew/girlfriend just got a job waitressing at Duffy's and I just joined a gym for two months so probalby won't even pick up the hook for that long... time to save and get back in fighting form.
ah..well at least you'll have some "old" sailcoth for emergency repairs!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Admiral

yeah.. .LOTS of it.