Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
Ensign

Ahoy! I am cruising on my Adams 31' centre cockpit grp sloop in the Andaman sea and Indonesia. I have owned the boat for 3 months and it is fitted with an Aires wind vane on an extended transom mount, to clear the back swept main rudder. I have never used it and it is quite heavy and gets in the way of embarking and disembarking of the stern swim ladder. It is connected to a rudder arm at the top of the rudder shaft, so the ropes are easy to handle.

I have installed a Raymarine smart pilot X5, interfaced with wind/speed/depth and a Raymarine A50 chart plotter and a wheel autopilot with a pilot controller, makes single handing a breeze.

The question is! Should I dump the wind vane and put in a dingy mount for my 3m zodiac, save towing it everywhere, can't store it on the deck. I already have a targa arch for the sola panels and wind genny, or try and use it?

If I sell it, with original manuals, what are they worth in usd? It is in very good condition, with a wheel mount as well.

The only problem I can see with the electronic autopilot is the power consumption, which I haven't checked yet, but it does not seem to be a problem! What advice can you offer? are the wind vanes "old hat" now? and only used by "salty types" on long ocean passages? I really need the transom clear of all that paraphernalia!!

Cheers from Keith.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Admiral

If you are going to go coastal cruising for the foreseeable future and not taking long passage using the trade winds; Then it might be an idea to exchange the windvane for dinghy davits to lift your dink, and above install extra solar panels to provide amps to the autopilot.

Advertise the Windvane in the Au Chalong Yacht Club, the Boat Lagoon, the Phuket Gazette.

For the Davits etcs see Khun Nop in the Boat Lagoon, he is the best stainless supplier and welder in Phuket. I can get you his tel # etc. I also can send you appropriate design photos.

Welcome again

Richard

Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks richard.

I know the s/steel elders in boat lagoon, thanks, I would appreciate some plans for the davits?

Cheers from Keith.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Admiral

Applying a little lateral thought to davits - had a look at the present targa.

Wonder if a few minor mods including beefing up the existing support structure might provide one solution??

Name:   Eloise_s_Targa.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  16.2 KB
Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
Admiral

Here is a link to an outfit that has designs for hundreds of different sail boats (many with photos)

CLICK