Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
Ensign

I have 140 feet of 3/8 chain in the anchor locker of my 1978 Enderlein Halberg Rassy 38, which is two levels down in my bow locker below the level which houses my gas bottles and assorted deck work paraphenalia.

It is not much anchor rode and I would like to have more, and/or a good length of cordage attached to it, but that does not seen to work.

When recovering my anchor, if I have deployed most of the chain, it stacks up below the hawse pipe and prevents the last 10 feet being fed down from the windlass. Of course by now I am no longer attached to the bottom, but nor am I free to manouvre and could well be drifting onto a lee shore, single-handed, while I sort out this mess!

Does anyone have any ideas to helm me solve my problem?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

We have 500 ft of 1/2" bbb chain. If we use more than 100 ft, I flake the chain into the anchor locker while hubby is running the windlass on deck. This is required in our boat. Else, there's a pile. It takes two people, though.

500 ft flaked into the locker.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Admiral

Hi Bernard,

Quick question, your "it stacks up below the hawse pipe and prevents the last 10ft being fed down from the windlass."

If the HR 38's draft is say 6ft plus say 4ft from anchor roller to water = 10ft,

then, is there a problem which cannot be sorted out once you are safely on your way?

How many levels are there for storage below the windlass ? Is the chain compartment the lowest? How far does the chain feed pipe protrude into the 2nd level ?? It should be not protrude, if it does the chain will pile up and eventually block chain falling.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard View Post

I have 140 feet of 3/8 chain in the anchor locker of my 1978 Enderlein Halberg Rassy 38, which is two levels down in my bow locker below the level which houses my gas bottles and assorted deck work paraphenalia.

It is not much anchor rode and I would like to have more, and/or a good length of cordage attached to it, but that does not seen to work.

When recovering my anchor, if I have deployed most of the chain, it stacks up below the hawse pipe and prevents the last 10 feet being fed down from the windlass. Of course by now I am no longer attached to the bottom, but nor am I free to manouvre and could well be drifting onto a lee shore, single-handed, while I sort out this mess!

Does anyone have any ideas to helm me solve my problem?
Bernard

The 2 levels down you describe make me wonder if there was a previous owner mod to the boat

which causes the problem. 150' of chain should not be that much to go in without heroic measures.

Typically the mate with the strongest arms and back is tasked to de-castle the chain. Alone you may

just have to lay out the chain on deck, secure it temporarily and continue until it's all up. Of course,

you will have the pleasure of classifying all the little organisms and worms and muck that come up as

well and seem to stick around on your deck, shoes, face and gloves for a while. Some will have

abhorrance at this idea but it works well.

With only 10 feet extra this is nbd, but if you need to go 300' total then it will become a good pile. With practice

you can lay out parallel runs, which make everything so much more manageable. So, plan it out first.

Else, use an old 3" exhaust hose or something slightly more flexible as a "moveable hawse pipe".

Rig up a cord to move the hose left, right and centre as the chain drops in. The chain might spread around

a bit more instead of getting it's panties all piled and twisted into a knot. Perhaps a strong spring or a piece

of rubber ( bicycle inner tube?) can displace the output end of the hawse pipe to one side, the cord then pulls

it away by brute force. I'm guessing that by sailing alone, you already told me that you are a brute, no?

You also could tie knots into the cord and slip them into a cleft at pre-positioned stops for

a KISS simple-but-stoopid catch arrangement. The mind boggles at the options. Good luck.

Ivo
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

That "two level" thing sounds familiar. I've seen lower anchor lockers built below a v-berth, etc. The use of this layered approach almost assures that you'll have to have someone flake or "de-castle" (I like that word...) the chain and yes, there will be long pipes down to the locker, unfortunately.

We have the person on deck using the deck wash-down to spray the chain clean, btw. The other person flakes.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

oh this is interesting thx guys be bk soonest early morn tomarrah

Tags
anchor