Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Ensign

I thought it would be interesting to hear about the various methods used to mark anchor chain. I have seen a very effective method of having cable-ties every 10 meters - one for 10m. 2 for 20m, etc.

I also found this painting method

http://www.yandina.com/AnchChain.htm

How do you mark yours?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Admiral

In the merchant navy we painted the joining shackles red and the adjacent chain links white. One white chain link each side of the red joining shackle represented 1 shackle (1 shackle = 15 fathoms). Two white painted links each side of the red joining shackle represented 2 shackles, three represented three shackles and so on.

From my time in the M.N., I was accustomed to this system so I adapted it to NAUSIKAA's needs. I paint a red link every five metres and, at the first I added a white extra link. At the second, that is to say at the 10 metre mark, I added two white links each side of the red marking. I also use a cable tie on each red link just in case the paint wears off completely. My longest length of chain is 50 metres.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Admiral

I used to use three different coloured strips of cloth tied at set intervals to indicate coded depths.

Richard
Old 08-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Hi All,

Been there done that. Bought a chain counter and installed it on winch. Problem solved, now operate winch from helm position. All too easy.

Happy Sailing.

Stephen

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Ensign

Use the method described by Manor. One orange tie at 10m, two at 20m....I also add a single yellow tie marking the intervening "five". The light colours are reflective and show up very well even in poor light. After three years colours are fading but still easy to read the code. 'Special' anchor ties that are more resilient to U.V., to abrasion and windlass pawls are supplied in UK by Coastline Technology (http://www.coastlinetechnology.com/markers.htm). Simple but effective and easily replaced. Cheers All, Ron
Old 08-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by santeana View Post
'Special' anchor ties that are more resilient to U.V., to abrasion and windlass pawls are supplied in UK by Coastline Technology (http://www.coastlinetechnology.com/markers.htm). Simple but effective and easily replaced. Cheers All, Ron
Thanks Ron,

Looked at Coastline's - at the price very expensive ! However, the idea prompts a thought :-

Strong black and white cable ties are available here in S.E Asia all over the place at really

affordable prices ! Using a similiar code to that mentioned in the above link - they should work!

Richard
Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Ensign

MMNETSEA - I think you are correct, there could be many alternatives to the Coastline product. They are expensive in comparison to everyday cable ties (I got a free pack with a sailing magazine) yet do seem to be long lasting. My biggest concern in using ties was them work hardening, breaking on the windlass and the sharp stubs gashing hands when handling chain. I've not had a single 'Coastline' tie break but it's worth testing or being initially cautious with your "strong black and white" cable ties to ensure they remain supple and breakfree. Ron
Old 08-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by santeana View Post
MMNETSEA - I think you are correct, there could be many alternatives to the Coastline product. They are expensive in comparison to everyday cable ties (I got a free pack with a sailing magazine) yet do seem to be long lasting. My biggest concern in using ties was them work hardening, breaking on the windlass and the sharp stubs gashing hands when handling chain. I've not had a single 'Coastline' tie break but it's worth testing or being initially cautious with your "strong black and white" cable ties to ensure they remain supple and breakfree. Ron
Ron ,

Your good points taken , what I will do is to round off the sidecutter cut with a sanding disk on my angle grinder.

To speed up the experiment I will also tie some on a length of light line and drag them behind the

pickup for a week. Also leave some out in the sun to see the effect.

Richard
Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Ensign

colored cable ties, different colors at 60ft, 75 ft, 100 ft, then coded at 125ft,150 ft and every 50 ft after to 300. ties are still going strong after 4 yrs.

SV Sirius

Moody 47
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
colored cable ties, different colors at 60ft, 75 ft, 100 ft, then coded at 125ft,150 ft and every 50 ft after to 300. ties are still going strong after 4 yrs.
Hi Jon D ,

Where did you get the ties? Were they for the electrical market or marine ??

4 years is good kit.

Richard
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Jon D ,

Where did you get the ties? Were they for the electrical market or marine ??

4 years is good kit.

Richard
Just off the shelf ANCOR colored wire ties... for the electrical marine market bought at a local chandlery

SV Sirius

Moody 47
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
Ensign

Hi - A newbie here thought I'd put my suggestions into the hopper. Another in favor of the plastic wire ties

We have been using plastic wire ties for 25+ years. Have been very happy with the results.

The markings we use are as follows:

Small ties = 10'

Large ties = 50'

10' - 1 small ***

30' - 3 small

50 - 1 large

70 - 1 large 2 small

100 - 2 large

120 - 2 large 2 small

150 - 3 large

200 - 4 large

250 - 5 large

290 - 6 large

***Since we have to flake due to the small anchor locker the 10' marker is used if I am having to steer in a blow and using the remote from the helm. Linda will either flash me with a light or yell informing me that we are at the 10'mark

Wire ties have worked well in coral, rock and sand. We have never used colored markers because we never had them onboard before (Nice idea). The ties in the 10-70' marks have to be replaced as they get torn off. They easily pass through the windlass with no trouble.

In addition we end for end the chain and it makes it very easy to just snip the old ones off and re-apply.

Good luck and warm regards

Chuck

Jacaranda

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 09-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
Lieutenant

I do pretty much the same as John D with the coloured ties, for every 100 ft on my boat now (or 90ft on bigger chain where you have joining shackles). Just 3 colours white/yellow/red, as those colours are easier to see at night.

In addition, as ties get torn off, I also use Rubber dipping paint (same colours) to paint links where the ties are. Easy to spot when you are doing night time anchor work.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
Lieutenant

İ use cable ties in the way you suggest - 1 per 10 m up to 40 m then a big or coloured one at 50 m and start again.

Beware of paınt - you wıll probably be charged extra when you want it regalvanisıng or have to get the stuff off yourself

John

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Rear Admiral

I have also used the ties. I have a locker for the winch control. On the inside door of the locker I marked all the different lengths of the coded ties. This way nothing is left to memory.

Tags
anchor