Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Regalvanizing chain

I received a question from the FAQ page, but the people seem to have restricted their incoming email to those addresses they already know. For that reason I'm posting the question and answer here in the hopes that they will see this posting. And anybody who has more information, please feel free to jump in.

QUESTION:

Where in the Caribbean can anchor chain be re-galvanized? We know about Puerto La Cruz but also know most work stops almost all of December. In December we will start on our way north to the Virgin Islands, Windwards & Leewards. In June we will go to Spain and that is another possibility.

ANSWER: I don't know of any place in the Caribbean other than VZ. You can't get it done before December? You might post the question on various cruising BBs, such as http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

December is usually a pretty uncomfortable time to be sailing north. But if you're leaving from Trinidad you are positioned very well for the trip. Just often iffy weather.

I'm surprised that it can't be done in Trinidad, though December is probably a lost cause there as well. If those are not viable options, the only places I could suggest trying would be Guadeloupe or Martinique. Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe used to have good chandleries and supply sources, Martinique is more cosmopolitan. However, so much of their stuff comes from France that this might be a long shot.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
Commander

If you want to regalvanize without going as far as PLC, it was possible a few years ago (2002) to make a simple phone call from the agent's office adjacent to the Porlamar, Isla de Margarita anchorage and have chain picked up for regalvanzing. The same fellow also straightened anchors; cost was of course very reasonable.

Presumably, you are then heading across the Atlantic and, again presumably, via the Azores. If so, your first landfall will most likely be in Portugal vs. Spain. If these assumptions are true, then it's a shame to miss visiting Lisbon via the free anchorage off Cascais. And if visiting Cascais, I'd suggest you contact the Tagus Yacht Center to inquire about regalvanizing. The run up the Tejo is 4 hours or so and you can take the boat into TYC from which they will offload the chain and send it out. They should advise you on turnaround time; it may not suit the fact you are on a cruising sked. However, dropping it off when first arriving and then sightseeing Lisbon while its being cooked ashore might work. They did our CQR and chain last season and its holding up very well.

If you really are first arriving in Spain, it would most likely be the Rias N of Portugal (which would be an outstanding choice for some enjoyable, easy cruising). In that case, you could catch Lisbon and the TYC on your run S for Cabo San Vincente and points E into the Med.

Jack

Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

I am told we can get this done in Puerto Rico...

I'll look into it and get back to you.

Kirk
Old 11-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

D'ye know, Kirk, I always thought that re-galvanising would be a heck of a nice little earner in either BVI or USVI....we should set it up!! Tony