Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi

I have a Seagold ER-40 desalinator but no manual or contacts for the makers. I am worried about finding replacement membranes and how to fit them.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me please do.

Cheers.....Trevor

Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

These folks might be able to help you with replacement membranes from another company if your company is out of business:

The Watermaker Store

They're in San Diego, CA

(619) 226-2622

Otherwise, I could only find the following address for your company:

4008 Myrtle Street, Burnaby, B.C. V5C 4G2, Canada

good luck

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Admiral

This Company may have a replacement membrane HERE
Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Hey now... you can't post that and not give a review.... How do you like your Seagold? (other than your worries about parts) How long have you had it? How many amps does it pull/hour? any other comments?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
Hey now... you can't post that and not give a review.... How do you like your Seagold? (other than your worries about parts) How long have you had it? How many amps does it pull/hour? any other comments?
Trevor is asking for help,

" I am worried about finding replacement membranes and how to fit them.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me please do."

There is no reason for him to give a 'review' at this stage.

What is required is a link to a replacement supplier and some fitting advice.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Fair enough, fair enough...

my "hey now's" are always in good spirit, didn't mean to sound demanding or negative.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
A review of the unit would be nice once you've got a source for the parts.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Does the unit work right now, TrevorT? What's the scoop on how you got the unit? New boat? swap meet? We'd love to know.

Did the address I gave you help at all? Did you contact either of the suppliers that MMNETSEA or I provided info about?

Fair winds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Hollywood
Vessel Name: Poerava
Send a message via Yahoo to Tellie

Sea Golds are a very rare animal. You just don't see a lot of them around. A little more information would be helpful. Could you take a picture and post it? How old is the unit. Is this a unit you've owned for a long time or a used one you just picked up and want to install on your boat? I don't know if the membranes are propriatary or not on the Sea Gold. But most membrane vessels are easy enough to open up and remove the membrane. The membrane itself should have the size printed on it. If not I could tell you how to measure it and quickly figure out what replacement you would need. The fact that you are concerned about the membrane raises a lot of questions that I'd like to ask before you start spending an arm and a leg making this thing work right.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Ensign

Thanks for your help so far.

I acquired the unit when a friend cleaned out his boat shed. It is working fine now (7.5 Litres/hour @ 4 amps) but before I install it in my Yacht I would like to have spare membranes available.

But then I don't want to pull it apart without a diagram of how it fits together in case I ruin a seal or a membrane.

Will wait for a while longer to see if anyone comes up with more info before I take it apart.

Thanks

Trev
Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: Hollywood
Vessel Name: Poerava
Send a message via Yahoo to Tellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorT View Post
Thanks for your help so far.

I acquired the unit when a friend cleaned out his boat shed. It is working fine now (7.5 Litres/hour @ 4 amps) but before I install it in my Yacht I would like to have spare membranes available.

But then I don't want to pull it apart without a diagram of how it fits together in case I ruin a seal or a membrane.

Will wait for a while longer to see if anyone comes up with more info before I take it apart.

Thanks

Trev
Like I said post a picture of it and I can tell you how to remove, measure and replace the membrane. I've worked on most membrane vessels made. But if I or anybody else can't see what you have it's going to be hard to find advice. Secondly you are not going to need spare membranes. They have a shelf life of a year or so. A newly installed membrane if taken care of properly can last for 6-9 years. A spare would be useless by then. The seals are simple O-rings so no need to worry. But there are a few styles of membrane vessels that have a few tricks you need to know to put them back together so they don't leak. Also if you have not installed this unit yet and it is just sitting, you'll need to properly store it or you will ruin the membrane you currently have.