Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Admiral

I have been reading lately some good reports of ultra-sonic anti-fouling. On the other hand, I am a natural sceptic so I would like to ask the esteemed members of these fori if anyone has first-hand experience of ultra-sonic anti-fouling and, if so, what:

a - in what area is your boat (as the degree of light, heat and salinity all affect growth)?

b - were the results?

c - the manufacturer of the device?

d - is the current drain and voltage?

Looking forward to much good and interesting information.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Gooday Stephen. I typed into 'google - search' Ultrasonic Antifouling & got the window of 20,800 results - Looked up the third one down - Ultrasonic Antifouling / The future of Antifouling. Looked into it quickly & I've sent them an e-mail & shall await a reply.

Some years ago I purchased a product called 'Hydron' available in Australia from New Zealand. It was painted on to the top of the antifouling. It was a 'slow release' co-polymer which - absorbed water - (the wet-on-wet principle). It was cost effective at that time. WE were racing a 26' Endeavour mono yacht in a fleet of 48 like yachts. Before I launch the GBE I will be doing some extensive homework on that product. I was excellent & allowed the antifouling to last more than 4 times longer than usual. At that time it was my business (with 35 employees) to make 'sailing/racing yachts' go faster & win races - the better I was - the more customers I had. Very interesting subject!!! Sure would be interesting to hear from all those people out there who need to 'sail efficiently' without dragging all the oceans-growth along for a free ride.

Thanks for the 'extra' feed-back - I'll look into all matters so I can learn about 'safety at speed'. Thanks again, jj

Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Admiral

Now I am in a position to answer my own question (or maybe not), thanks to an article in this month's Yachting Monthly.

The ultrasonic device tested was the Ultra 10. It sells in the UK for £949.00 incl. 17.5% VAT. The unit, according to the manufacturers, has a power consumption of 0.7 amps maximum @ 12vdc (and probably minimum too), which corresponds to the article's claim of "12A every 24 hours", which is a rather strange way of expressing power consumption.

The test, performed on one boat only, came to the conclusion that, "there was a clear reduction of slime around her hull, rudder, prop shaft and bow compared with the previous year". However, as I see it, the test results are not valid as not only was the Ultra 10 used but the boat was also anti-fouled and anti-fouled with a different anti-fouling than previously. All-in-all, a very inconclusive and unscientific test. One should also take into account the fact that the test was carried out in the English Channel rather than in really high-growth areas, i.e. warmer waters with strong sunlight.

Finally, the article states that Ultrasonic Antifouling's director, David Sothcott, says: "Traditional antifoul is still a good idea". So, why do we need this product if we still have the glorious job of anti-fouling, power-washing and scraping?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post

Now I am in a position to answer my own question (or maybe not), thanks to an article in this month's Yachting Monthly. ME THINK-UTH NOT - ALSO

The ultrasonic device tested was the Ultra 10. It sells in the UK for £949.00 incl. 17.5% VAT. The unit, according to the manufacturers, has a power consumption of 0.7 amps maximum @ 12vdc (and probably minimum too), which corresponds to the article's claim of "12A every 24 hours", which is a rather strange way of expressing power consumption. THE WHOLE DARN SUBJECT IS STRANGE. A BIT 'SHORT-CIRCUITED' MAYBE EH? PUN INTENDED

The test, performed on one boat only// However, as I see it, the test results are not valid as not only was the Ultra 10 used but the boat was also anti-fouled and anti-fouled with a different anti-fouling than previously. All-in-all, a very (VERY) inconclusive and unscientific test. One should also take into account the fact that the test was carried out in the English Channel rather than in really high-growth areas, i.e. warmer waters with strong sunlight.

Finally, the article states that Ultrasonic Antifouling's director, David Sothcott, says: "Traditional antifoul is still a good idea". WOW THIS GUY IS ON ALL WITH IT. So, why do we need this product if we still have the glorious job of anti-fouling, power-washing and scraping? MAYBE WE DO ALL THIS - TO KEEP FIT - IE FOR THE EXCERCISE, EH?

Aye // Stephen
Morning Stephen. Rain woke me - not the 'Ultra 10' ping - or maybe it was the 'dread of the antifouling job(s) to be done. 0300 hrs here raining @ 80 to 100 mm /hr as I type. Think we're 'in for it' as they say.

We have been looking at this 'antifouling substitute' for some time now & not much so far. I did however see something worthy of looking into & will get back in here when I can fine out about it.

Good sailing, good winds, good weather & a GOOD year ahead to U & U'res. SR