Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi, I'm a 27 year-old male traveler. I'm hoping to travel from Thailand or Malaysia to India in the next few weeks by picking up a crew position on a yacht.

The thing is, I've never tried to spontaneously get work on a boat before, and I have no idea how to do it. The best advice I can find so far is "hang around ports and marina and ask around." Seems logical enough, but it's still quite vague.

I have a few questions: firstly, has anyone here actually picked up work and passage on a yacht by just meeting someone with a boat? How did it come about - posting messages on bulletin boards? using this site? just lurking around marina and bars and chatting to people?

And secondly, has anyone with a boat picked up crew this way? Again, how did you make the connection - this site? being randomly approached?

I've scanned through the crew finder listings on this site, but none of the posts seem to be going my intended route. Maybe it's not a popular sailing route. I can't post anything in there yet, as it seems that it's been closed down to newbies like myself, so I hope posting here isn't inappropriate.

I might add a little more about myself. I have virtually no sailing experience, but I'm strong and healthy, and very willing to learn and work. I'm capable of making edible and borderline tasty food, and I can attempt to entertain people with the sturdy travel guitar I travel with. I speak rusty Spanish and basic Korean. At this point, my plan is to go to Phuket and see what happens...

Thanks for reading and any advice,

Ethan

Check out my overland travels:

https://v-w-x.blogspot.com
cyphecks is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | - »