Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia > Pacific Severe Weather
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Admiral

A severe Cat 4 cyclone forecast for the outer clockwise bands to be in Cairns Queensland 4 pm 2 Feb Tomorrow.

From all of us on Cruiser Log to our many friends in Cairns and North East Queensland - stand fast - our best wishes with you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclon Yasi Track.gif
Views:	48
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1675

Name:   Cyclone Yasi.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  16.2 KB

Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=MMNETSEA;1296554612]

A severe Cat 4 cyclone forecast for the outer clockwise bands to be in Cairns Queensland 4 pm 2 Feb Tomorrow.

From all of us on Cruiser Log to our many friends in Cairns and North East Queensland - stand fast - our best wishes with you.

I'm sure like everyone else in Cairns we appreciate your thoughts and prayers - at this stage its not looking good with evacuations in full swing across the region.

Even more frustrating for me being stuck up in Papua New Guinea and powerless to assist while my wife secures the house and does what she can for Mico at Yorkies Marina. Some extra lines and fenders is about all at that can be done at this stage as I removed all the sails and dodger before I left. Spoke to Robin an hour ago and she is abandoning the house to move up into the hills along with half the other Cairns residents. I'd imagine Raven is battening down too. Oh the joys of the tropics.

Fair winds

Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mico View Post

Even more frustrating for me being stuck up in Papua New Guinea and powerless to assist while my wife secures the house and does what she can for Mico at Yorkies Marina. Some extra lines and fenders is about all at that can be done at this stage as I removed all the sails and dodger before I left. Spoke to Robin an hour ago and she is abandoning the house to move up into the hills along with half the other Cairns residents. I'd imagine Raven is battening down too.
Hi there mico,

Hubby David sends his regards as we've dealt with the same situation a few times. Since he spent several years as a US Navy pilot, he was frequently deployed when everything was emergency state here at home. The worst was when he was actually at home on shore duty when hurricane Gilbert was headed for South Texas where we lived. He, along with all the other pilots, evacuated the planes to Arizona while their wives and families stayed behind in Kingsville at the time that that hurricane was centered to hit within 20 miles of Kingsville. We were renting a lovely victorian era home from friends (another pilot who was stationed in Japan at the time) and as we took down the fence, boarded up the windows, and prayed, we cheered ourselves with the thought that the particular old house had been through many storms OK. Still, when he left town it was very lonely and scary with no place to go but just stay put. All's well that ended well and the hurricane turned and made landfall way South, thank goodness.

That story may be little comfort to you, but please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you, Silver Raven, and all your families.

Fair wind,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Now classified as category 5.

Hold tight all our Aussie friends - thinking of you during this time.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Scared for you folks in Queensland, this is nasty indeed. Hope you get through this ok.

Best wishes

Pete.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
Admiral

No pleasure in providing the following update at 0140 UTC - 2 February 2011:-

----------------------------------

Name:   Cyclone Yasi Cat 5 .jpg
Views: 48
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:	CYCLONE YASI cat 5 track.gif
Views:	43
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1679

IDQ20008

PAN PAN

HIGH SEAS WEATHER WARNING FOR METAREA 10 ISSUED BY THE

AUSTRALIAN BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNING CENTRE BRISBANE

AT 0105UTC 2 FEBRUARY 2011

HURRICANE FORCE WIND WARNING FOR NORTH EASTERN AREA

SITUATION

At 0000 UTC Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi was centred within 15 nautical miles of

latitude sixteen decimal four south (16.4S)

longitude one hundred and forty nine decimal nine east (149.9E)

Recent movement : west southwest at 19 knots

Maximum winds : 115 knots

Central pressure: 922 hPa

AREA AFFECTED

Within 190 nautical miles in northern semi-circle

and within 260 nautical miles in southern semi-circle

FORECAST

Maximum winds to 115 knots near the centre.

Winds above 64 knots within 30 nautical miles in northern semi-circle

and within 50 nautical miles in southern semi-circle with phenomenal seas.

Winds above 48 knots within 90 nautical miles in northern semi-circle

and within 130 nautical miles in southern semi-circle with very rough to high

seas and heavy swell

Winds above 34 knots within 190 nautical miles in northern semi-circle

and within 260 nautical miles in southern semi-circle with rough to very

rough seas and heavy swell.

Forecast positions

At 1200 UTC 02 February: Within 45 nautical miles of 17.6 south 146.5 east

Central pressure 922 hPa.

Winds to 115 knots near centre.

At 0000 UTC 03 February: Within 75 nautical miles of 18.9 south 143.2 east

Central pressure 976 hPa.

Winds to 50 knots near centre.

REMARKS

All ships in the area please send weather reports every three hours. Regular

weather observing ships use normal channels. Other ships please use either

email to marwxqld@bom.gov.au or fax to +61732200221 or satellite to SAC 1241

through Land Earth Station Burum 212.

Next warning will be issued by 0700 UTC 02 February 2011.

WEATHER BRISBANE

---------------------------------------------------

Trials and Tribulation

Just to the North of Cairns lies Cape Tribulation - well within the path of Cyclone Yasi :-

"Cape Tribulation was named by British navigator Lt. James Cook on the 10th of June 1770 (log date) after his ship hit a reef as it passed over it, north east of the cape, at 6pm. This made Cook pull away from the coast, looking for deeper water. At 10.30pm, the Endeavour hit a reef almost sinking Cook's ship, on what is now named Endeavour Reef. Cook recorded "...the north point [was named] Cape Tribulation because here began all our troubles"
Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Admiral

Cat 5 Cyclone YASI has arrived onshore, just south of Cairns :-

Will not know extent of damage until first light Tomorrow 3 Feb

Name:	CYCLONE YASI cat 5 track2.gif
Views:	40
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1680

Name:   Cyclone Yasi Cat 5 a.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  10.8 KB
Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Admiral

Cyclone Yasi at 2230 GMT WEd 2 Feb (Queensland 3 Feb 10 am)

Name:	CYCLONE YASI cat 5 track3.gif
Views:	40
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1683

Scenes from the frontline D E V A S T A T I O N
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
Rear Admiral

Scenes from the frontline D E V A S T A T I O N

[/quote]

Cruiser log...cruiser log .. this is mico

Just called Robin - Cyclone dropped down and the eye missed Cairns instead coming ashore about 130km south at Innisfail/Mission Beach. Everyone safe! They still got a lot of wind and storm surge as Yassi was 500km wide. Reports are sketchy as a lot of power is out but Robin visited the marina and all the yachts appear undamaged, apart from one with a shredded headsail. We still have a roof on the house too. All pretty thankful for that but pretty upset for many of our friends down in Innisfail and Mission Beach who apparently copped a real hammering. I imagine reports will start coming in through the day as the rescue services get into some of the devastated areas. Apparently the town of Tully has blown away but as yet - have heard of no deaths which we are all very thankful for. Keeping our fingers crossed that it stays that way.

How did you fare Raven? There is only one TV channel up here in PNG and we're getting those idiots from Sunrise who seem to think the focus is all about them rather than reporting on the facts and what is actually happening. So far we've only heard how they spent the night in the Hotel and how the film crews got a drenching - all talking to camera and Channel 7 station promotions - self serving crap but hey - that's the standard of our commercial TV stations.

But I digress.

Many thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers - cyclone is now a Cat 2 and inland but I can imagine all the ports south of Cairns took a real hammering so there is going to be a lot of heartbreak still to be revealed once they get the power back on. Our thoughts and prayers go out to them all.

Fair (non cyclonic) winds to all
Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Admiral

Oh, thanks, one safe. A few more will check in as things are sorted out, we hope.

I think the Aussie reporters learned their need for theatre and self-promotion from the US fellows. Peter gets so angry at the absurd behavior that at times he'll yell at the TV. Both of us reserve our bitterest comments for the vultures who feed off the misfortunes of others, and here in the US some days it seems that's all one hears about as the over-made up actors shed crocodile tears on screen.

Be well, give Robin an attagirl from us.

Now, James, are you all right?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Admiral

Chaotic Scenes at the Hinchinbrook Marina - Cardwell.

This little coastal town is reported as having worst destruction amongst those in Yasi's path.

Name:	Hinchinbrook Marina Cardwell -QLD.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1684

Credit SMH Sidney
Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Chaotic Scenes at the Hinchinbrook Marina - Cardwell.

This little coastal town is reported as having worst destruction amongst those in Yasi's path.

Attachment 1684

Credit SMH Sidney
G'day everyone. I'm trying to do a phone, e-mail & SMS - check around however all the 'services' keep dropping out. Before I get all this info to y'all I may have to send several short notices. This is the 4th time I've tried to get this away this morning. Very heavy rain squalls & severe lightening bullets going over regularly, so take it as it comes, Please. 'Mico', Shaun & Robin seem to be O.K., Don't know 'Raven' but I'm sure Shaun & Robin will keep us posted. I phoned Lew & Kristine Hone, SV Kristine - 47' Steel Roberts Mauritius (rudder/skeg modification in these pages) & they rode 'Yasi' out on board & are O.K. Don't know how far south Rob & Annette, SV Blue Lady are but they may come-in & let us know how they are? There's a chap in McKay that I haven't heard from - so that's a bother. However 'Yasi' is now a VERY BIG low c/w lots & lots of rain flooding parts of Western Australia/Queensland boarded where some of my neighbours family is & they have up to 300 mm in their farm house where there has never been any water in recorded history & they live up on a low hill in the middle of the very dry outback of WA/Qld boarder. NOT GOOD AT ALL There are many others up-here that I don't know but wish them all well. What we need here is a 'cyclone area watch group' that stays in touch all the time, so that when something like this happens again (& it will) we can all be available to help each other out & be a dependable back-up for everyone in trouble & a 'safe-house' to stay-alive in. IMHO.

Richard, Thanks for 'posting' the - Hinchinbrook link - I do hope everyone expands it & sees just how bad things CAN get. Much to be learned from all this carnage in a future discussion (now's not the time - Anchors + chain + rope X 6, 8 or 10 of). I've got personal friends down that way, some accounted for & others not yet, however they tell me it's a 1000 times worse than the pictures show. A friend - some 100 mtrs - back from the water & 15 mtrs above - has a 58' ocean-going power boat - parked 1/2 way into his living room.Very scary stuff indeed. More powerful than anyone can get their heads around as yet. When I can get out of here (we're still flooded in) I'll get my twin-axle work-shop trailer c/w gen set, compressor, 1000's of tools & electric leads, benches etc - that folds out to make under-cover work-shop & go down & help.

JeanneP, we're O.K. Gen-set fuel line sprung a leak (so diesel all over 6 sq mtrs of front patio - right near the front door) but that's just to keep me busy, ha. Mains power is very 'iffy', off more than on as is the land-line phone & the mobile net-work. We are the very lucky ones. Still have a house, roof (only has 2 leaks), windows (all boarded-up) & walls still in-tact, sheds, animals & all my tropical parrots are just fine. Many thanks for your concern, much appreciated - nice to feel - someone cares, especially 1/2 the world away. A chap on-board a yacht in the middle of it all, took his boat to a safer area, (reported missing - feared dead) sailed in to Hinchinbrook harbour 3 days later - alive & well. Thank Gawd for good seamanship & great luck!! That's all for now, Don't want to loose all this again, Ciao, 'JJ-geri-hat-trick'

Old 02-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
Admiral

Glad to hear you're okay. Even this far away from the mayhem I could almost hear that monstrous roar.

I wonder, how much experience do we need to understand that we can't ever be prepared for such forces of nature? Here's hoping things can get back to normal soon.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Hey JeanneP,

I'm guessing Queenslanders are getting the idea by now! Silver Raven! Great to hear you are ok. Along with most folks out that way. No doubt there will be emotional scars to come for many. What a miracle so few killed, well I've heard of one guy getting killed by carbon monoxide during the storm. I really thought there would be many casualties. Earthquakes and tsunamies are worse, when on the hard at least. I think queenslanders will have to start building grass huts or at least small , immensely strong homes. Hey maybe they could buy up all the old ferro sailboats and live aboard!!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #15
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by danblu View Post

Hey JeanneP,

I'm guessing Queenslanders are getting the idea by now! Silver Raven! Great to hear you are ok. Along with most folks out that way. No doubt there will be emotional scars to come for many. What a miracle so few killed, well I've heard of one guy getting killed by carbon monoxide during the storm. I really thought there would be many casualties. Earthquakes and tsunamies are worse, when on the hard at least. I think queenslanders will have to start building grass huts or at least small , immensely strong homes. Hey maybe they could buy up all the old ferro sailboats and live aboard!!
Hay Bloke, the O.K. is in small print - ie - ok- , for you Peter, but for JeanneP it's a (term of endearment - but you are known as a 'Shelia' - in Aussie terms & that is reserved for the 'best of the best' - ie - 'chickie-babes' in the world) I personally can't thank you enough & JeanneP & everyone else as well. Bit numb (dumb - as well) & we're the one's well off!!!!!!! I'm still missing 4 families ( husb', wife & kids). That's a bother! Can't thank all of you enough EVER

Expression of concern - may well be of - - - not much concern to your every-day lives BUT so VERY important to our 'souls' out here. I Really Mean That so Much !!!! Thanks to you all !!!!!! I've lived through a few here including 'Steve' which was a tad bothersome at that time. A tad bigger for us here in Cairns & environs that this one & here we are almost all of us alive!!! Enough of all this. Thanks for your good wishes. Ciao james
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

So glad to hear you guys are ok. Been pretty worried down here in Toowoomba. Good luck with your damage repairs. We have nearly cleaned up our mess and still assisting many people in the Lockyer valley.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

Tags
queensland