Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > Pacific & Australasia
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Niagara falls
Default Grays harbour to Coos Bay

At 4 knots average, how long would it take to get from Grays Harbour Washington to Coos Bay?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

While I haven't sailed this coast, I am familiar with the area thanks to a recent road trip through the PNW into Canada. The route appears as fairly straight forward and it could be fun to pull into the Colombia River and Winchester Bay en route.

I guess the sailing time from the Heads at Gray's, to the cut at the inlet leading to Coos Bay would be 75 to 80 hours at 4kts. Add the time taken getting to and from the ocean at each end and any time taken for stops along the way, and there you have it.

Redbopeep recently sailed that coast and may well know the route intimately. I'm sure she will respond, but, in the meantime I hope my little addition is of some help.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Niagara falls
Default Grays harbour to Coos bay

Thanks Auzzie for the info, much appreciated😎
Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hello there. It's a pretty straight shot and probably a nice downhill run most of the time. You would likely have a broad reach, beam reach, or be on a run. So if your boat does 4 kts on a broad reach or run... let's see...

Coos Bay OR to Aberdeen WA (in the back bay part of Gray's Harbor) is 244 nm per https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/.../distances.pdf

So, that would be 61 hours underway more-or-less.

If you planned to stop along the way, you might go in at the Columbia River, Newport OR, and well...a few other spots and it might take a tad longer.

Hope this info is helpful to you!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote