Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
Ensign

Hello all -

I am in the process of trying to select a cruising catamaran for extended (indefinite) cruising.

While I don't have a per se plan for circumnavigation, it's not out of the question, so I need a very seaworthy boat.

I will be cruising with my wife, my daughter (who will be around 10 years old when we set out) and possibly my son, who is a good bit older, so he may already be off at college or whatnot when we set out. So, I need a fairly spacious boat.

Those are the needs: safety, build quality, and space.

I would *like* a boat that handles easily, beaches well, and has a relatively shallow draft for exploring thin water coves/anchorages.

I can't just jump out there and say that money is no object; I can, however say that money is a much smaller consideration than safety and space.

I am, as of now, leaning heavily towards a Dean 441. I was wondering if anyone here has personal knowledge of this model or of Dean cats in general.

Also, I am more than willing to learn; if anyone has a better suggestion than Dean, I would be very glad to hear it.Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Gooday 'Sixpoint' Big task you've in front of you. Name's james, site name Silverraven. Male , 70, live in Australia. Been building, sailing, cruising & racing multihulls for over 50 yrs now. While I wish you much 'luck' it only happens to those who do ALL their homework first & work hard & FOCUSED at the project at hand. Please remember like the Dean blurb mentions & I'll expand. The most enjoyment achieved from a 'sailing way of life' is - The 'inseparable-twins' of real-true value are; safer, quicker, smoother, drier, ,more comfortable, efficient, effective & KISS (keep it super simple) & need to be thought of before parting with your money - - the greater the value to your very being - heart & soul both inside & outside your very existence. Always remembering - - 'The buyer beware' & Make haste at the cost of repenting at leisure - not fun & costly I have found out the hard way in my past. Also I've experienced that the 'shallower the draft' the more places you can get-into with safety to the value of 1000 to 1. Have you looked into the Admiral 40 or Admiral 50? The A-40 has a comprehensive write-up in these pages. Many - lateral side-step - - web searches - can turn-up much valuable information & a lot of boats - all of which is very valuable & necessary 'homework' prior to purchase. As there are virtually 100's & 100's of boats - within your desired criteria - take much care. Be a hard-nosed, nit-picking 'tire-kicker' purchaser prior to parting with your cash. Never ever buy before a very comprehensive 'test sail'. All the 'top-notch' companies will 'really' encourage you to do this. They want a very happy owner as he is their best advertisement possible. Good hunting & take careful aim before the hammer falls. Our thoughts are with you from "Pililani property' @ 16"47'49.43 S X 145"34'19.69 E. Ciao, jj