Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Admiral

Many Multihulls because of the sloping windows inherent in the design, invite the SUN into the main Saloon (exceptions - the Lagoon and the Leopard ) Glare, UV, Heat - result HOT -- fading materials, aircon on, no privacy.

Just installed top of the range window film in friends Cat - keeps out most of the UV - reduces heat - no aircon required ! See out - cannot see in !

3M_window_film.pdf

Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Admiral

We installed this film on mv Watermelon's door and windows, and it makes quite a difference. *And it was pretty quick and easy to do.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Ensign

How does this product go on a perspex window, all the data is based on a glass window?

Spiritcat
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
Admiral

GOOD QUESTION

Good adhesion on Lexan windows in my own catamaran. Recently applied to friend's cat, also Lexan - no problems.

Perspex by any other name, including :-

Plexiglas, Vitroflex, Limacryl, R-Cast, Per-Clax, Perspex, Plazcryl, Acrylex, Acrylite, Acrylplast, Altuglas, Polycast, Oroglass, Optix and Lucite and is commonly called acrylic glass, simply acrylic, perspex or plexiglas.

Suggest if you have a small port or hatch with "Perspex" or even better a piece of the same material, ask a supplier for a sample of the film and apply as a test.

In the meantime I have emailed 3m with your specific question - if/when they reply I will post here.

Regards

Richard
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
Admiral

Followed the suggestion :- found a piece of 4mm clear Perspex (Acrylic glass) took it to a pro-shop

who apply the 3M film to automotive glass windows.

The technician then took me through the whole process of applying the film - took about 5 minutes.

He advised, that he has applied the film to acrylics many many times without a problem. He added that he had applied all the various types that 3M produces. The shop guarantees the film for 5 years, same for acrylic.

Here are a couple of pictures of the test -

First one, looking into the house through the filmed perspex cutoff :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pers3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	911

The 2nd looking out from the opposite side :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pers4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	912
Old 04-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

How does this affect night vision?

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Admiral

Hi Gavin,

The film has a dual characteristic in that the outside is reflective - cutting out UV glare and heat and to an extent, light; while the inside is not reflective in daylight. I know that in some countries the vehicle driver's vision should not be impaired - the area of glass in front of the driver to be kept clear. In my own catamaran during watch at night always checked for lights etc from outside. I suppose one could leave a forward window clear but with a hinge down filmed window behind it, so that in daylight the hinged window would be down.

Tonight, with that piece of filmed perspex, I will check to see how much it cuts out lights and shapes.

Richard
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Ensign

How did the 3m window tint hold up on your lexan windows. They keep telling me it will not work because of the outgasing of lexan. This creates bubbles in tint. Did you use the color safe 3m tint? Polygard is a brand made for lexan but it is $45 a linear metre. Big cost for experiment. Did you ever get a response from 3m?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehalter View Post
How did the 3m window tint hold up on your lexan windows. They keep telling me it will not work because of the outgasing of lexan. This creates bubbles in tint. Did you use the color safe 3m tint? Polygard is a brand made for lexan but it is $45 a linear metre. Big cost for experiment. Did you ever get a response from 3m?
Hello Steve,

Sorry I did not reply earlier - missed your post - but did answer a PM.

I only applied the 3M material to my lexan windows after they had been on the cat for about a year, pleased to report that never had bubbles or other blemishes as a result of some chemical reaction from the Lexan. I am not sure was is meant by "outgasing of lexan" - does this imply that Lexan exudes some type of fume? Could it be that after a period in the sun that lexan cures and no longer releases "gas" ????

Never got a reply to my questions to 3M - they directed me to the distributor in Thailand - who did not speak enough English to understand the questions.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritcat View Post
How does this product go on a perspex window, all the data is based on a glass window?

Spiritcat
There is a product called PolyGard carried by Sungard in Australia. It is made for all types of plastics. It uses a special glue that is easy to remove. It can be applied to outside or inside. It is very hard to scratch so quite durable.