Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello, we have recently purchased a Simpson 40' (extended to 43') catamaran named Morning Light which was built in Australia approx 15 years old. Does anyone have information on the hull specifications as we need to slip her for maintenance? We need measurements or photos of underwater. Thanks Ken and Jane.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

HELLO,

I am surprised you did not get measurements with the survey, or paperwork from the previous owners. I am sailing a Simpson 13.7, and I am 23'3" in width. Rger Simpson still has a website

http://www.boatcraft.com.au/simpson.html

Of course the builder altering the design changes everything.......BEST WISHES in getting the right information....i2f

Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to captkev69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningLight View Post
Hello, we have recently purchased a Simpson 40' (extended to 43') catamaran named Morning Light which was built in Australia approx 15 years old. Does anyone have information on the hull specifications as we need to slip her for maintenance? We need measurements or photos of underwater. Thanks Ken and Jane.
hi there

try asking previous owner where they slipped it as most slipways keep records in case similar vessels or you come back to save time and money on seeting things up.Where are you looking to slip the boat? kev
Old 09-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkev69 View Post
hi there ,

Try asking previous owner where they slipped it as most slipways keep records in case similar vessels or you come back to save time and money on setting things up.Where are you looking to slip the boat? kev
Following up on Kev's good question : Can you confirm that it was a 40ft (12.2mtr) Woodwind that was modified to 43ft ? Was it the bows or the transoms that were lengthened or both ?

Who did the modification ? Lifting should not present a problem - the difficult part is NOT to put the Aft lifting slings on the sail drives and their props, that you can probably ascertain by measuring internally, the slings must be aft of the props by a good foot.

Richard
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to captkev69

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
HELLO,

I am surprised you did not get measurements with the survey, or paperwork from the previous owners. I am sailing a Simpson 13.7, and I am 23'3" in width. Rger Simpson still has a website

http://www.boatcraft.com.au/simpson.html

Of course the builder altering the design changes everything.......BEST WISHES in getting the right information....i2f
hi there I went out to boatcraft the other week and the factory had burnt out and I hve no idea on the damage to products and plans stored there

kev
Old 09-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkev69 View Post
hi there

try asking previous owner where they slipped it as most slipways keep records in case similar vessels or you come back to save time and money on seeting things up.Where are you looking to slip the boat? kev
Thanks for your help.

Ken
Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #8
Ensign

Hi Morning Light

We have a 12m Simpson modified to about 13.5m. Yours could be a standard Mk 1,2 or 3 depending on the transom rake. We have a full set of digitised plans for the Mk 3 which has the improved wingdeck to hull joint. You can email us at svsokari at gmail dot com and we can arrange to get them to you if you wish. We also have Roger's book, Simpson on Boat Building, on CD as well.

John/Rosemary