Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Winnipeg
Question which cat would be more comfortable on the hook

Hello all, new to this and have been dreaming of retiring on a cat for awhile. In all the reading I've done I haven't found any indication as to which cat would be more comfortable on the hook, a heavier cat or a lighter cat? I would think that the heavier cat would take larger waves to move her about more than a light cat, but at the same time think that a light cat might ride on the peaks without moving around much.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Catamarans generally bob around quite a lot more than a mono-hull when anchored the same distance away from the shoreline. The true advantage of a cat is that they can be anchored in much shallower, more protected water. Personally I would opt for a lighter boat (Have a look at the Seawind) to give more deck clearance and greater speed.

I am still a traditionalist and prefer monos for crossing oceans; but, for coastal cruising in comfort, cats are...The cat's whiskers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Auzzee, I'm more wondering about the differences between the light cat and heavier cat. Everything I've read says that you want the light cat for maneuverability and speed under way, but as a good majority of the time would be at anchor, I'm wondering which would be better for comfort when hanging out in shallow water.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

I would expect the lighter cat to be more jumpy and less comfortable but there are a lot of other factors that will affect your choice. Most crusing cats are heavier anyway and you will pay a premium for lighter faster cats. You can have two of the following - speed, price or comfort
Old 07-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks Steve, that goes along with my thoughts on it.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
Commander

Cats are quite comfortable at anchor... no rolling motion. They do tend to wander around a bit and a bridle for the anchor is necessary else you will sail about. Without a bridle my Lagoon would slowly go from port broad to the wind, then bow on, and slowly to starboard broad. It's why mono-hullers (1/2 boaters) don't like to anchor next to a cat. With a bridle, stretched from bow to bow, it behaves nicely. Because cats are so light they can move forward easily at anchor (10 feet or so) if there is a swell rolling in. What happens here is if you have your dinghy trailed off on a line the cat will pull the dinghy forward then fall back, bumping the dinghy. A nuisance but best to side tie the dinghy. Far more comfortable than a mono at anchor.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:12 AM   #7
Ensign

Thanks Spike_dawg, my wife is worried they would be pitching fore and aft on waves. Love the 1/2 boaters note
Old 07-06-2017, 04:12 AM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

A 'half boat' is what we, who don't need training wheels, call a onemaran. Truthfully though, as we are growing older, we are seriously considering buying a floating zimmer frame.

We have seen many at the various boat shows in the US and were especially enthralled by the larger Seawinds. (I wonder why it is that the French get so precious about letting sailors aboard their demonstration yachts at boat shows... Bloody Frogs!) South African boats are also pretty darned nice.

We just ended a road trip, driving from Neah Bay, Washington State, to San Francisco. Saw lots of boats 'down south' but decided Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands would be a nifty place to be sailing any well found craft.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
Commander

Some of the larger Seawinds are really nice cruisers...unfortunately very heavy for a cat. This is not a good feature in catamarans...still good boats and decent sailers. Some of the SA cats had real problems, so careful when looking at boats from there. A little company research or looking at reviews is always a good thing. Don't overlook Shuttleworth's. Been aboard one about 44 ft and it was a very shallow draft quick boat. Nice bridge deck clearance, and decent layout. I really liked this boat a lot.
Puget Sound is a nice area but too cold for me, and I also just returned. Did some crabbing off Anacortes and Camano. Few sailboats up there (comparison to power boats), and only a handful of cats, but lots of trawlers. I prefer the sunlight and warmth of the tropics.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote