Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Piracy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Admiral

Lawyers give reasons for Somalis becoming pirates - BUT don't tell us why most of the impoverished rest of the world don't become pirates

ELS_Piracy_Paper.PDF

Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119
Smile

As far as I am concerned you need to fight piracy the way it was dealt with in the 1800 and 1900's, sink the mothership or ships, and let all on the motherships drown or be executed on the spot. Rutheless and barbaric for sure, but if you have no ships to go to sea and no crew then there is no piracy.

Once the motherships are sunk then the land based camps need to be attacked and taken down, the captors need to be interrogated or waterboarded and tortured to find out the heads of these associations and they need to be put against a wall and be executed publicly via firing squad. In other words, no mercy and no compassion.

I do not care as once you violate my rights, you have lost the right to civil treatment, which brings me to why should any criminal have rights after they have murdered, raped or plundered, which to date the pirates ave not done, well only once so far and probably by accident, but if you shoot at ships and people some are going to get killed.

The mentality is very different to our western culture and having been in Central Africa I have an understanding of the mentality and way of life there, you cannot in your wildest dreams imagine what it is like, until you have actually experienced it.

Sadly there will be innocent bystanders hurt, but a war cannot be fought without casualties.

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslabbert5119 View Post
I do not care as once you violate my rights, you have lost the right to civil treatment
I am sure they are saying the same. And they have the same level of thruth you have: none.

If you say that summary punishment is acceptable ("war cannot be fought without casualties"), then you should also accept summary blame on their part (the long history of exploitation by white men).

It is very clear that until risk assesment of their situation (sure death by starvation vs. good life with some risk of death or detainment) says that being pirate is the way to go, they will. When one starves, ethic has very few meaning, as you have rightfully pointed out ("you cannot in your wildest dreams imagine what it is like").

Well, tough action against actual pirates is part of the solution, but it would not solve anything in itself.

We have already seen that their response to stress is to spread operation. And I would not like to meet them in the depth of Indian Ocean when their objective is not "just" ransom but simply to get my food and get off.

There was a very interesting half sentence in the report, referring to the relative order in times of a muslim regime.

You might view moslims as extremists bringing 9.11 against us, but it is sure that they know how to keep order in a country. This is in big part because they have lots of experience with help-each-other organisations. They can much better distribute resources than white people bringin' food to black people than black people building slavery chains based on that.

Maybe a "we bring food, you bring imams" cooperation with nearby states would work. I know, I am idealist.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwas View Post
I am sure they are saying the same. And they have the same level of truth you have: none.

If you say that summary punishment is acceptable ("war cannot be fought without casualties"), then you should also accept summary blame on their part (the long history of exploitation by white men).
Exploitation by white men, EXCUSE ME ... Take a look at the whole of Africa all 54 countries, Zimbabwe is a disaster, and the country is run by Bobby Mugabe, Look at Idi Amin, who massacred somewhere near 500,000 people, (according to Wikipedia), just to name 2, and if South Africa is ever run by Julius Malema the leader of the ANC youth organization there would be more rape murder and massacre and that country would be oppressed as well Oh, Kenya, Nigeria, Somalia, all oppressed, not by the "White Man". There are but a handful or less than that of countries whose populous are not oppressed. It is not about the "White Man" as you put it, but about oppression.

I have no level of truth, how do you figure and how dare you say that, do you know me personally, and know that I am a liar ... I fought for my country, so that you can sleep at night, I was wounded in battle, I have seen my friends die next to me fighting for a lost cause and at the ripe old old age 54 I am still prepared to fight and die if necessary for my country. Why, fighting oppression, some may not think so, but friends died in Zambia and Zimbabwe and are those countries oppressed (I think so)

My son-in-law is in Afghanistan fighting for your freedom and opression. He is doing his 2nd tour, after being shot in Iraq. I am so angry right now that I can't even think straight.

When you have walked in my shoes and you know me personally, don't tell me that I do not speak truths as you put it.

Attached is a photo of my son-in-laws helmet, which shows his and my my families level of commitment to fighting oppression.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Way_s_Helmet.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1177

A proud American

Click image for larger version

Name:	US_Eagle.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1178

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote