Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Piracy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban
Smile

HARADHEERE, Somalia, Dec 1 (Reuters) - In Somalia's main pirate lair of Haradheere, the sea gangs have set up a cooperative to fund their hijackings offshore, a sort of stock exchange meets criminal syndicate. .....

Full Report: HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Commander

Oh my!

I see it as a big failure of humanity. Actually= there IS an organisation which is brought to life specifically to prevent such things from happening.

I know, I am an idealist, but there is the organisation, and there are loads of strong countries stating that their are up to these goals. Ii is also sure that only a small percentage of the UN member countries' tax income would be enough to improve the situation on the whole continent that people could generally keep themselves alive without thinking about commiting such crimes.

(I wonder how those luxurious cars ad the food gets there. By ship?)

Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
Ensign

capitalism Gotta love it. OK now i will let my self get revenge minded about those pirates.

our web site is www.ernieanderica.info if you want to get to know us.
twomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Desperate people do desperate things. These folks have little--or nothing to lose. The fellow who considered the immigration to Italy knew that he could lose his life trying to get there, so he turned to piracy.

I do not condone the activities of these pirates. But it is sad to see that the first world countries do little-to-nothing to avert this type of thing. Without assistance, education, capital for industry, etc, it is a death spiral for such communities. What should these people turn to--without opportunities to improve their lives in other ways? It is likely that many of them will take their "share" and turn it to legitimate activity which will help their communities. There must be a better way, though.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote