Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Ensign

Have just discovered the world of sailing and am delighted to know that I have a year sabbatical to pursue it

My experience in sailing is NONE - boating some. I lived in the Puget Sound area and often visit the San Juan's for crab fishing (not deadliest catch). I have recently just spent the better part of two days on two sailing yachts and I simply fell in love with it. The terms, the work, the jack-of-all trades aspect; it's a hobby that I can merge with my life - definitely me. I am currently reading the beginner books and am looking to get on a boat after x-mas. I am in Baja, Mexico right now but will be in LA around then and am mobile world wide. I am looking to work in any way and for someone to teach me the ropes - possibly open to extended travel beyond 1-2 months.

I am friendly, accommodating, entertaining, considerate, a great cook, and I am an excellent problem solver. I work in the film industry but have made my money on the technical side. In the technical fields I have entered into high profile work positions with no experience (admittedly so to the table of 10 interviewers) and have learned and adapted quickly amongst my more seasoned peers with relevant college degrees. Such positions include resource management, computer programing, and systems administration for multiple major motion pictures at Sony Pictures in the LA area - all of which I had never touched before. These positions included long hours and situations that required urgent and immediate responses. Our job was to flag, diagnose, and respond under considerable amounts of pressure (producers and directors).

I am very mechanical and have taught myself to replace parts and assemblies in my own vehicle, including my old TransAm (such a pain to work on!). Breaks, alternators, oil, tire, mounting brackets, belts, and now it looks like I'll have to repair my air conditioning unit (I think it's the compressor) - all self taught. I also have a motorcycle I am restoring - stators replacement, carb cleaning, some electrical work. Manuals are OK but working with an expert is top.

I love cooking and love making the most out of the ingredients I have. I used to host a weekly gourmet dinner for 8+ friends at a time and they would buy in to it so we were able to make very beautiful dishes. I have also cooked for film crews of 30+ to their top satisfaction (you can't beat my red sauce).

I also produce and host a documentary web show called Breaking Down. I travel around LA and around the globe and just get into fun and adventuresome situations. I am NOT attempting to document any of my sailing adventures nor anything during my entire year sabbatical - hence the sabbatical.[/url]

All I can say is I'm glad I'm only a month into my year long retreat. Let me know if you could use another man!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Ensign

here is my ad
CARIBBEAN WINTER 2011/12-BENETAU 43FT
43ft Benetau sloop, comfortable ,with 1 Senior captain exp 40,000 bluewater miles, plus 1 first mate/cook/crew lady doing Winter Cruise Eastern Caribbean 2011/12

boat now in Grenada for new year
Plan 2000 mile cruise ,15+ Isles 1.Trindad 2.Grenada 3.Carricou 4.Canouan 5.Tobago Cays,6.Bequia 7.St Vincent 8.St Lucia,9.Martinique, 10Saints.11. Guadelupe 12 Nevis 13. St Kitts 14 St Barths 15.St Martin ,maybe Virgins Is,
We would like 1 or 2 more crew either whole time, but if more convenient could schedule different crews in different months. Finish cruise app May 15 Trinidad
email skipsalty@yahoo.com

Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Stockholm
Default Sail Greek islands to Slovenia?

Im an former L.A. DOP/Producer guy still working in the business and am moving my Bavaria 46 to Sweden from Greece. Will sail first leg to Slovenia in early April then truck to the baltic then sail to Sweden. Its a big boat so Im looking for stable crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxJO View Post
Have just discovered the world of sailing and am delighted to know that I have a year sabbatical to pursue it

My experience in sailing is NONE - boating some. I lived in the Puget Sound area and often visit the San Juan's for crab fishing (not deadliest catch). I have recently just spent the better part of two days on two sailing yachts and I simply fell in love with it. The terms, the work, the jack-of-all trades aspect; it's a hobby that I can merge with my life - definitely me. I am currently reading the beginner books and am looking to get on a boat after x-mas. I am in Baja, Mexico right now but will be in LA around then and am mobile world wide. I am looking to work in any way and for someone to teach me the ropes - possibly open to extended travel beyond 1-2 months.

I am friendly, accommodating, entertaining, considerate, a great cook, and I am an excellent problem solver. I work in the film industry but have made my money on the technical side. In the technical fields I have entered into high profile work positions with no experience (admittedly so to the table of 10 interviewers) and have learned and adapted quickly amongst my more seasoned peers with relevant college degrees. Such positions include resource management, computer programing, and systems administration for multiple major motion pictures at Sony Pictures in the LA area - all of which I had never touched before. These positions included long hours and situations that required urgent and immediate responses. Our job was to flag, diagnose, and respond under considerable amounts of pressure (producers and directors).

I am very mechanical and have taught myself to replace parts and assemblies in my own vehicle, including my old TransAm (such a pain to work on!). Breaks, alternators, oil, tire, mounting brackets, belts, and now it looks like I'll have to repair my air conditioning unit (I think it's the compressor) - all self taught. I also have a motorcycle I am restoring - stators replacement, carb cleaning, some electrical work. Manuals are OK but working with an expert is top.

I love cooking and love making the most out of the ingredients I have. I used to host a weekly gourmet dinner for 8+ friends at a time and they would buy in to it so we were able to make very beautiful dishes. I have also cooked for film crews of 30+ to their top satisfaction (you can't beat my red sauce).

I also produce and host a documentary web show called Breaking Down. I travel around LA and around the globe and just get into fun and adventuresome situations. I am NOT attempting to document any of my sailing adventures nor anything during my entire year sabbatical - hence the sabbatical.[/url]

All I can say is I'm glad I'm only a month into my year long retreat. Let me know if you could use another man!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Ensign

Default sail caribbean

pl email skipsalty@yahoo.com w dates u r availabe
skipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntaxJO View Post

Old 02-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: San Francisco

JO-- e-mail me if you are interested in crewing on a 46 ft sailing yacht from Costa Rica to Mexico. Starting March 1, 2012.

Art art@urbin.com