Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Portsmouth
Thumbs up Long Trip for Experienced Crew July to Dec 2012

I am an experienced sailor, and until recently a Yachtmaster Instructor and I have 7 months off work between July and January 2012-2013.
I would like to do a long trip and would consider anywhere.
I am 47 years old am prepared to work hard to earn my passage. I am also happy to support shorter trips in Europe.
As an experienced skipper I can take as much or as little responsibility as is required by the boat owner.
I have no problem being at sea for extended periods of time if required. I have sailed with many many people over the years and am easy to get along with, and have a good sense of humour.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Stockholm

Did you see my link for the sail from Kos, Greece to Slvenia? Scott

Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Ensign

Not sure I did. Any more details? My email is apga21@yahoo.co.uk
Many thanks
Andy
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Ensign

I have just seen the trip but think it is April!
My 7 month holiday starts in June but I am already sailing until end of June so am looking for something from end of June/ July
I have no doubt I would get on with you all. I have sailed with many many people over the years.
Regards
Andy
Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Hong Kong
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gissing View Post
I am an experienced sailor, and until recently a Yachtmaster Instructor and I have 7 months off work between July and January 2012-2013.
I would like to do a long trip and would consider anywhere.
I am 47 years old am prepared to work hard to earn my passage. I am also happy to support shorter trips in Europe.
As an experienced skipper I can take as much or as little responsibility as is required by the boat owner.
I have no problem being at sea for extended periods of time if required. I have sailed with many many people over the years and am easy to get along with, and have a good sense of humour.

Hi Andy,

You are the first person I have contacted as I have just registered with this web site tonight. Let me tell you my story. I am contacting you today from Thailand. I arrived here a couple of days ago to do a below the waterline inspection of a 40ft traditional gaff rigged boat that I am goint to buy. I want to return it to Hong Kong where I currently live and work. I see in your posting that you are looking for a long passage journey, but I'm wondering if I can tempt you with a shorter passage on my boat. I am looking for people to do the passage with me who are experienced and from your description you sound like you would be very valueable crew member. Have you had experience with traditional rigs? Are you interested? I would like to bring the boat to Hong Kong asap of course, but as I have a couple of months roundabout in July and August, this time could work out well for all. I've been told by a local very experienced sailor here, that it should be about a 5 day trip. I could make it longer if it works out well, but I also have to go to hmy home country in Australia during that period too.

Let me know what you think
Regards
Helen
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Admiral

Helen,

The nautical - sea - distance from halfway down the Gulf of Thailand - Ko Samui - to Hong Kong is about 1,400 nautical miles. I don't know how big this gaff-rigged boat is, whether it has an engine, etc., but you can't sail that distance in 5 days. More like at least 3 weeks - or more, considering the moderate winds so near the equator. If the boat is in Phuket, it's more than 2,000 miles away!

That's quite an undertaking for a novice sailor. We met a young couple in Singapore who took 3 weeks nonstop to get from Hong Kong to Singapore.

Having sailed that part of the world, I can't emphasize enough that a good HF radio; more than one GPS; flares; bright, bright flashlight with lots of batteries; and an EPIRB are the minimum gear requirements. And be sure the sails are in good condition! And bring sail repair equipment with you as well.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experienced crew