Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Cairns
Default Looking to sail the South Pacific

Looking to get to some of the more out of the way islands in the Pacific - Vanuatu, Kiribati, Vava'u, Tuamotu, Rapanui, Rapaiti, Raivavae, Raiatea - you get the picture. Keen to meet the locals. Do some filming etc. have a website www.polynesian-prehistory.com I have owned a 9m trimaran - Crowther Zephyr cruising the Barrier reef, and sailed hobie cats most of my life. I have been a river guide for 25 years - so am used to getting wet. Capable carpenter - owner builder, electronics as a hobby, love cooking and even doing the washing up. I am fit, healthy and keen to do some bluewater cruising.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Best of luck in making your way aboard cruising boats in the area.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Peter, I enjoyed reading your web pages. Great work! I'll be cruising through the South Pacific next year but I'm short on schedule details (such is the sailing life), but if you visit our pages regularly I am sure you'll be able to hitch a ride from somewhere to somewhere through Polynesia.
There will be a big fleet heading across the South Pacific from the end of February next year. Best of luck and keep doing the research, it's fascinating.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks Auzzee for the encouraging words - If I never ever go, I will never ever know.
I think sailing is the only practical way to get to these more remote places. I was considering buying my own boat, but then I would be focussed on the boat etc and not on the research. Besides, I am keen to do a couple of the legs of the journey in traditional craft, so I need to be flexible. Hope to stay out there a couple of years, so may see you out there.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hi Peter,

I am just up the road from you in Port Douglas living on my yacht and planning a trip to the Kimberly Islands then on to Asia, leaving here in April 2013, so thats no good to you .... but ....

This might be short notice and may not even be the right area for you but the Louisiades Yacht Rally leaves from Yorkies Knob Marina on the 15th of September. The web site for the rally is Louisiades - Yacht Rally Papua New Guinea

Not far from the Solomans and you may be able to get onto something there. Last year 14 yachts went and the year before there were 24 and they are expecting a good showing this year.. Never know your luck till you try.

I enjoyed checking out your web site.

Lex
Old 08-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Admiral

Just a thought Peter, but during the southern cyclone season, September to March, a lot of cruising yachts head south to New Zealand to avoid the revolving storms. Perhaps it is worth looking at sailing clubs in and around the Bay of Islands. There will be many cruising yachts heading back up into the Pacific islands following the end of March. A well placed notice in a land which is an integral part of the culture you investigate, may pay dividends.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hey Aussie don't scare Peter too much ... while tropical cyclones can occur a little earlier or later, tropical cyclones in the Queensland and NT regions mostly form from lows within the monsoon trough, between November and April.

October is usually considered a safe sailing month here in the north with lots of boats going from Cairns and Port Douglas to Lizard Island for a few weeks on a loosely organised sailing rally, with some yachts venturing further north as far as Cape York and Thursday Island in the Torres Straight before catching the northerlies back south in November and early December.

I personally don't worry about cyclones until early december and I am planning to head north in late March or early April 2013. Port Douglas to ... Thursday Island, then on to Darwin and down to the Kimberly Coast Islands for a few weeks and after that back to Darwin to clear out of Australia and on to Indonesia and Malaysia ... after that ... who knows.

Lexx
Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
Admiral

No worries Lexx. Having had my boats in Darwin for the past 27 years, I am well aware of the perils, and joys, of the wet season between TI and King George river. However, so many tales from cruising the South Pacific, culminate in a cyclone avoidance stritegy, whetch unvolves Niew Zulind. I'm not supporting it..merely pointing out that many coconut milk runners wait out the cyclone season in that particular locale; before hanking on a sail for the northern run in March April. Advice to this effect is contained in the works of the venerable Jimmy Cornell who, as many regard him as the great sailing deity, influences the mob. Perhaps he has a fush and chup shop in the North Island somewhere.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Coconut runners (yep heard that one before)

...The mob

PERFECT! description

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Ensign

Thanks guys, am still working till end of Sept, so will not be able to do the Louiseades trip. Starting off in the Bay of Islands may well be a very good option as I have some people I want to meet and stuff I want to film in NZ. I am not rushing to leave, but you are right - I am planning on wanting to leave in the middle of the Cyclone season. Having weathered cyclone Yasi in Mission Beach upstairs in an old Queenslander, I know what we are talking about - houses let alone boats are not designed to pierce the wind at 250km/hr - that is the realm of aeroplanes and very fast cars.
If there is a yachtie out there who is keen to go on a mission of discovery into the culture and some of the hidden secrets of Polynesia, I would love to hear from them - to make this a team effort.

Tags
pacific, raiatea, rarotonga, south pacific, vanuatu