Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary

Hi! I am doing a delivery from Cape Town to Tortola. The boat will be handed over to me between the middle and the end of April. I have 2 crew at the moment and looking for a 3rd. The boat is a new Voyage 500, can be seen on the Voyage website. voyageyachts.com There is no money involved. You have to get yourself to Cape Town and have the means to leave Tortola. I pay for all food except personal preferances. The trip will be about 35 days excluding any stops ( I normally do a straight run but may stop on this one)

Feel free to contact me for any more info. Email: gazzad#yahoo.com or phone +27828334573.

Cheers Gary

Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Hi! I am doing a delivery from Cape Town to Tortola. The boat will be handed over to me between the middle and the end of April. I have 2 crew at the moment and looking for a 3rd. The boat is a new Voyage 500, can be seen on the Voyage website. voyageyachts.com There is no money involved. You have to get yourself to Cape Town and have the means to leave Tortola. I pay for all food except personal preferances. The trip will be about 35 days excluding any stops ( I normally do a straight run but may stop on this one)

Feel free to contact me for any more info. Email: gazzad@yahoo.com or phone +27828334573.

Cheers Gary
Gary,

It sounds very much like you're getting paid. It is just offensive to ask people to fly out to you on their own nickel for a straight run across the Atlantic, on a boat you have no experience with so you can pocket a couple extra bucks on the delivery charge. And just what are "preferences"? Good luck. Someone will probably take you up on your "offer", but only because they don't know better, and that's the kind of experience you want on a transatlantic new yacht delivery.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Constellation, I am at a loss to understand why you feel Gary's post is offensive. Please read the placement criteria (at the head of this page) and you will see the Ad addresses the subject properly. Gary seems to be offering a 35 day sailing experience, on a wonderful boat, from point A to point B, for no apparent cost to crew. 'Personal preferences' usually means exactly what it says. Most skippers will provide good food, and the skipper should not be expected to pay for your truffles just because you fancy eating them.

Skippers will typically collect crew from close to the point of departure; the offer of a nifty sailing experience to anyone who wants to fly in seems more than fair.

Sounds like a bargain to me!

David

Old 03-28-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by constellation View Post
Gary,

It sounds very much like you're getting paid. It is just offensive to ask people to fly out to you on their own nickel for a straight run across the Atlantic, on a boat you have no experience with so you can pocket a couple extra bucks on the delivery charge. And just what are "preferences"? Good luck. Someone will probably take you up on your "offer", but only because they don't know better, and that's the kind of experience you want on a transatlantic new yacht delivery.
No, it's not offensive. It's Gary's job to do this, well... good for him, some of us are jealous ...

in a friendly way. I am one person who did not "know better" and I am pretty happy I

answered Gary's "offer" a few months ago. I had a great crossing with a cool guy and

superb trouble shooter to boot. I would advise anybody who has the time to contact

Gary, ask their questions, and go for it.

You are being "offensive", answering a pleasant post this way. You also write without

knowing. "on a boat you have no experience with" How do you know? Gary has delivered

Voyage Cats of all sizes between Cape Town and the Caribbeans several times a year for

more years than you have spent typing mean posts. He can tell you what will break before

it happens, what used to break and does not anymore ....

If you are a star, Mr Constellation, do become a delivery skipper so you get to captain the boat.

Then you can offer open-jaw tickets from around the world to 2 or 3 potential crews every

passage, and see how long you last in the business. Some owners sometimes offer some

travel allowance, to good crews. Delivery skippers can rarely afford cutting their budget that

way. Maybe you are one, so ... we are eagerly awaiting your offers on cruiserlog with plane

tickets attached.

As a captain, of course, you will do all the tricky stuff, like going to the foredeck

in pounding waves to fix the unraveled trampoline and god knows what else that broke,

telling your crew to watch you from the safety of the cockpit, because it's your instinct

to take this on yourself as you are the professional.

And you will wake up from you off-watch sleep when a crew knocks at your port because

of this or that triviality that worries them. Oh, and of course, you will be pleasant with the

crew and relaxed and cool because you seem to be that kind of person given the cheerful

stuff that oozes from your keyboard. If you are in a bad mood, don't hammer people you

don't know, just go sailing. Don't bother answering my post because I will not post further

in that thread no matter what you say.

Now seriously, those of us who don't know better realize that this is one of the best offers

on the board for a little while. Anybody out there who has the time, go sail with Gary. You

will have a great time on a great boat with a great ocean skipper.

Cheers,
Old 03-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Admiral

Jacquier, thanks for your PM.

To Prospective Crew :-

Could I suggest that prospective crew contact the Skipper Gary as per email or telephone, and discuss the details of the offer - especially those that pertain to the costs that will be borne by crew. They should obtain as much information as possible - get references - establish the insurance carried - ask about safety and communication equipment on board, etc.. etc ..

Once satisfied that applicants have sufficient information to make a decision - the option is either to proceed or decline.

Richard
Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
Admiral

Gary's post appears to be open and honest. Nor does has he propose anything illegal or contrary to the guidelines for posting on these boards. What he is offering is, as AUZZEE implied, a good deal. People looking for crewing positions are old and mature enough to decide if this suits them or not. Once offered a berth, it is up to them to say yay or nay.

Having now, hopefully, cleared the air let this thread return to its original purpose; that of matching a good and willing crew with, as jaquier informs us, a great skipper and a great boat.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Sounds like a great opportunity and offer to me!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Old 03-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Home Port: Port Huron
Send a message via AIM to Duane2312

Wish I could sign on!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to Gary

Wow!!! well that was a shock to read the reply from Mr Constellation. I have used this site for crew in the past with great responce and have not had any unhappy crew. If you dont want to sail with me pass on to the next post, no one is forcing anyone on this site.

And just to let everyone know the position has been filled. Thanks (I will carry on using this site)
Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Retired Mod

Thanks for posting the update Gary.

Pleasant and safe voyage!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
Ensign

Hi Gary..

Although the spot has been taken I would like to mention to the rest of the forum that even up in Pretoria... ( some 1500 Kms from Cape Town) we know who you are and also that this is not your first ever delivery.

My only regret is that I was not online and missed your incredible offer !!

For Mr Costellation or Jamil.... to %#*$^% on your head for asking people to pay their own way to Cape Town is very strange indeed... as he seems prepared to do it ??

If you read his profile on this very site and I quote ....

I'm American, but I live in Puerto Vallarta right now. I can travel anywhere on the West Coast of Mexico to meet a boat on my own dime, and further with some recompense.....

Hell... never mind my own dime... I would steal from my Granny's Cookie Jar to pay my way for a trip like that..

All I want to add... is well done to whoever got the spot and best of luck !!!!

Cheers

Douw
Old 03-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Retired Mod

Thank you everyone. I am now closing this thread as the position is filled and further discussion will serve no purpose.

TOPIC CLOSED!

Closed Thread

Tags
delivery, tortola