Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default How to get a response

Browsing through this forum, I was struck by the number of 0 responses, until I opened a few to see how people were selling themselves.

Remember, would-be crew, that most of us owners have spent a very large amount of money to buy a very small - by land standards - home. If we are planning a longish trip, number of crew needed and where to get them is an early issue, and first choice to share a small space is going to be friends and relatives. People without friends and relatives are either lousy company (so don't sail with them) or unfortunate that they have chosen a very different way of life to their earlir f and r. They (we) are going to be very choosy about selecting a crew member - I recently got lumbered with a friend's friend for a few weeks and it was hell !

So, if you want a response,

* Tell the truth, do not worry about experience, most people would settle for limited experience if you fit in with them and/or the current crew.

* Specify your theoretical and practical knowledge and identify your experience to date - not just miles or days - boat size and power/sail, coastal, racing or cruising, day, long passages and your role on those experiences - cook, navigator, watch keeper.....

* Try to convey your personality to see if it matches or compliments the would-be skipper.

[Additions]

* Give your location (and how far you can travel to meet a yacht)

* State your age, sex, etc.

* State availability. (dates available)

Remember, THIS crewfinder is for cruising yachts, so availability for very short periods will not get you any responses at all - try other day-sailing or racing crew boards.

Check back here often to check for resposes to your post.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
imported_admin

Also, DEFINITELY read the WHOLE PAGE of "Crew Tips & Advice" at:

http://www.cruiser.co.za/crewfinder.asp

This page also has a link to "Where the cruising yachts are at which time of the year".

Old 11-01-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
Ensign

Great advice. It surprises me to see some of the responses people are posting. I'm glad someone with some experience said something. Thanks!

Epictetus
smjohnson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Commander

Another tip when you advertise DON'T specify "East Coast"!! What does that mean - how many 'East Coasts' are there in the world?? If your prepared to travel to meet with a yacht then say so. Give the regions that your interested in and any hobby or interests you have..

Happy days

Regards

Peter

Yacht BEDOUIN
Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to southpacific Send a message via MSN to southpacific Send a message via Yahoo to southpacific

Good sound advice from every one in here..Shoul b bannered at the top of the page before entry
Old 12-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
imported_admin

@southpacific

Done!!

Any further advice from owner/cruisers would be gratefully accepted here.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
Commander

I would like to reiterate Bedouin's advice about hobbies. If you like to listen to a certain kind of music, say so--it helps with the fit. If you're a partier--or the life of a party--say so. If you're introspective, extroverted, love reading, hate cooking, need quiet, crave noise... We all gravitate toward personalities that fit with ours, so tell potential skippers enough about yours that they'll get a feel for how you might mesh with them.

I did notice in some posts hobbies and interests are mentioned, but vitals, such as age and gender, are omitted. Best lay it all out to get the best response.

N
Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

How NOT to find a crew position:

"HEY!

I'm Garth, and ..........."

Hey! Definitely no offers or replies.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Thanx...