Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Ensign

Departing towards end of April from Juneau, Alaska on 27' Albin Family Cruiser with aft quarters for 5-6 months this summer exploring the Inside Passage on a planned route. This is a one Captain one crew vessel. There is no charge towards you or any daily expenses unless you want to buy souvenirs when we go through small communities. That is up to you. Read below for all the details...

Want to see an intimate view of SE ALASKA?

This is what I do. I cover 20-40 nautical miles a day cruising and circumnavigating the islands while I photograph and document. While the weather is rarely full storms, it is Alaska, so there are days that are misty and rainy and little sun. But summers are great and this pocket cruiser can go into most bays and coves.

When the sun comes out and everything is absolutely beautiful - you can get a sun burn. This is kinda like a boat working for the Discovery Channel cruising intimately the Inside Passage. Their are separate crew quarters on this vessel. But this is no cruise ship. Space is limited. So do not expect daily showers, expresso machines, or special diets. We eat well, albeit a lot of dehydrated Mountain House food.

There are two kayaks on board, a dinghy, and heat.

I can teach:

-kayaking

-photography

-videography

-navigation

-small boat handling

-deckhand work

-maintenance

-backcountry skills.

You will be my second hands, doing some deckhand work, some wheel watches, helping with the kayaks and tender, and seeing some of the most scenic remote and pristine areas of Alaska.

We will see:

-brown, black, and grizzly bears

-sea lions

-harbor seals

-possibly orcas

-humback whales

-eagles

-possibly porcupines, wolves, and wild cats

-scenics and sunsets

-glaciers and ice

-waterfalls and clear streams, lakes, and muskeg

The boat is an Albin Family Cruiser with aft quarters for you. I will be forward in the V Berth. It is 28 foot, single screw and able to handle the seas we get into. The boat is not a speed boat. We travel around 5knts average. We see everything and hang close to shore and cliffs and glaciers.

This is for someone who wants to really get hands on boating experience, with deckhand work, and learn how to handle a boat. You will learn if you do not already know.

About me:

-laid back but do run a tight ship. Safety of crew and vessel and gear come first.

-do not drink. Do smoke so if you do smoke cigarettes, ok. But we do not fling butts into water. Nor on land. WE pack out all we take in.

-small in stature, five six. Fit and know these waters and have more kayak and sea time for this type work than most. Well experienced. Though human, pretty easy going. But understand, there is still a captain/crew relationship. Otherwise, not looking for a relationship. Strictly platonic or work/crew. But we will meet so many from all over the world on our travels, you can network.

-love movies and music so both are on board, books available in small library mostly about Travel. Not much for country music, grew up in Texas, enough is enough already... LOL.

-honest, dependable, and as Captain, always thinking of crew first.

I became a premium member today for one last go round to gather emails of all interested. Will find the right candidate and we will be in Juneau by mid April and on the water for yet another great year to really experience remote incredible beauty and sightings and meet wonderful people.

To all, have a perfect summer.

What do I expect of the crew aboard this boat:

I need someone who is either somewhat experienced, or knows they can be at sea for a length of time living on the boat, anchoring in coves, exploring by either kayak or dinghy, and can be my second set of hands when needed. I do most wheel watches but you will help. I can teach kayaking, photography, navigation, deckhand work as necessary on this vessel, etc...

I am pretty easy going and want you to know you will have your own quarters. This boat is a 28' Albin Family Cruiser. I have enclosed the center cockpit. I have two kayaks on board, a motorized dinghy, full confidence in the vessel, and years of experience. I expect a professional crew, that does not need to party every time we hit a port. I expect to be able to work within a captain/crew relationship though this will be pretty relaxed. I do smoke. So if you are allergic to cigarettes, then this won't work for you, even though I do not chain smoke.

I ask that you be:

-willing to learn and do the duties as necessary on this vessel. Every vessel has it's own way of running things even if similar to another.

-able to handle sea conditions and time on sea

-learn to do small wheel watches

-able to perform deckhand duties as this vessel requires

-no drinking or drugs on board, some social drinking when at port is ok

-truthful, and do not make yourself out to be more than you are. I just need to know what you do know and what you should learn.

-able to fulfill season which concludes in late Sept

For the person hired, I will tip out at the end. So you will leave the boat with some money in hand. Probably around 2k. But this is to get you to the next destination.

I provide air fare to and from Seattle, Wa as long as you stay thru the season.

If you have contacted me and have not heard from me, then I was probably conversing with a more suitable candidate. Feel free to nag. Feel free to say NO if I contact you. Look, we are all looking for the right fit, for both the boat and the crew.

This is an incredible opportunity for some but maybe not exotic enough for others. I do understand that...it isn't the BVI or some warm tropical isle.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Ensign

Kayakingbear,

This trip sounds incredible. I would really love to join you. I spent last summer sailing from the UK around Western Europe down to Portugal. We crossed the channel and the Bay of Biscay, and winds got up to force 7. I stood 4-hour watches, learned to use the computerized navigation, as well as some other basics. Additionally, I love kayaking; my father and I own two, one sea kayak and one sit-on-top, and I also took a whitewater course in college. I'm very low-maintenance, and easy-going, and I love nature and travel. I'm a 23-year old guy from New Jersey, also on the short side If only you were leaving a bit later, I'd be available the whole summer.

Unfortunately, I am teaching here in Andorra until mid-June. If for any reason you get delayed, or you don't find anyone in the interim, please let me know at charley.wright1@gmail.com

Best wishes on your trip!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Ensign

kayakingbear,

sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

could you please contact me directly via email at vrystaatgypsey@yahoo.com

thanks

sean
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Ensign

this sounds like a great trip i have sailed the east coast of the US single handed for 1 and half years and am currently free until the first week in sept please feel free to contact me at madmoly340@gmail.com i can stand watches and do maintance and would love to see alaska am easy going and i to smoke its hard to find someone else willing to take a smoker along when it comes to boozing it up not much at all maybe a drink here and there any questions feel free to email me i can leave at a moments notice

thanks

mike
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Ensign

Dear Sean and Mike and all,

Thanks for your interest this year in this project. At this time, I have two candidates from this site and one from another site and feel by end of week I will have the crew position filled.

If something changes, I will contact each or anyone who responds here.

Thanks again,

Randal
Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Ensign

Happy to report that I have a crew person and the position has been filled. I wish everyone here the best and hope the perfect match works for all.

Thank you again and have a great summer.

Randal
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
Admiral

Randal,

Thanks very much for letting us know that you have filled the position.

Topic now closed

Richard