Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Ensign

We are sailing from the USA back to Australia. We are looking for two to three crew of various experience to assist with watches and share the enjoyment.

We are sailing our Hunter 450 "Free at Last" a 45 foot sloop and there are three of us on board.(including a three yr old)We are very well equiped for offshore sailing and are looking for crew to share the experience with.

We expect to start through the Panama Canal in March 2009 (at this point) and this would be the ideal time to join us. We plan to stop at the Galapagos Islands, Marqeesas, Tahiti, Tonga, Fiji and anywhere else time permits and the weather allows. We aim to leave the South Pacific by late September or early October 2009.

We are open to crew who want to transit part or all of this journey. A small contribution towards food may be asked for, and transport to and from port of embarkation will be your responsibility.

We look forward to hearing from any interested sailors!!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi jenkcos,

My name is Julian and I'm a university student in Canada.

This is a long shot, but if your plans do change, and you end up leaving later in the year (May-ish), I would love the opportunity to join you.

I've been sailing for 10 years and have good knowledge of sailing, but do not have any blue water experience.

You can contact me at julian.carpenter@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Julian

Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi folks,

we are a spanish couple (from Tenerife and Barcelona), actually living at the Canary Islands. We´ll finish work at november and we are decided to join a sail boat to get more sailing experience.

Actually we are close to join a sail boat in a passage from Canaries to England, in a couple of weeks, and we are also planning to move next year to central america to join a boat in a pacific crossing.

Our aims are, firstly, enjoy and share great experience, but also we´d love to learn as much as possible about sailing and onboard lifestyle, so we´d like to help on the boat as much as we can, in order to learn more.

We´re both marine biologist and we´re used to work at sea. Actually we work as diving instructor and divemaster in a dive center. Laura has been working a few weeks in a sailing boat, in an environmental research project, and David, myself, I´ve been working three times in fishing boats as biologist, in the Atlantic and the Indian ocean, spending till 2 month at sea.

We both have the STCW´95 certificate.

We are relaxed, easygoing people, love childs (specially Laura), and like to cook.

It would be great to join you. Please, send us more details if you are interested.

Our email: davidacu@yahoo.es

Best wishes,

David and Laura
Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi,

Your timetable looks good.

We are in NZ. our daughter gets married mid Feb 09. Then we run off to sea - openended.

You can view our profile.

Email: dave.pinchin@clear.net.nz
Old 10-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Ensign

Hello!

Excited to read your post. Sounds like a beautiful trip. (This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for: privately-owned, family atmosphere sailboat traveling overseas.) Leaving in March 2009 works well.

What I can offer you:

-- competent, easy-going assistance. Most recently, I worked as a deckhand/stewardess on a 127ft sailing yacht. There I enjoyed managing the stern lines while docking, washing the exterior, keeping watch, heading up the mast in the bosun's chair, driving the tender, cleaning the interior, anticipating and serving the needs of the owners and keeping track of expenses. I can provide excellent references from the owners and the five fellow crew members. I also helped deliver an 86ft ketch from Antigua to Ft Lauderdale last May after Antigua Race Week.

--superlative child care. Worked as a nanny caring for 2 children (they were 2 yrs old and 8 mos. when I began) for 2 years while attending the University of Chicago. (A.B. Political Science, June 2000.) Also assisted my mother in her 1st grade classroom.

--onboard fitness. I'm a registered yoga and meditation teacher with over 5 years experience. If interested, I'd be happy to teach yoga onboard. The owners of the 127ft SY appreciated onboard yoga classes.

About me: 30 y.o. female, former corporate program manager (allowed me to save enough money to travel modestly for a few years), looking to travel and soak up cool experiences before settling down in one place to open a yoga studio. I'm currently traveling alone, but have friends crewing on other yachts who may be interested. What's your preference: single crew members or a couple?

You can reach me at namaste12@hotmail.com. Thanks for your consideration.

STCW 95 certified

Best

Jennifer
Old 10-31-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Ensign

Hello Jenkcos,

I would love to join your passage. I am looking for the opportunity to be a contributing member of a voyage in all aspects of sailing, maintainence, and enjoying the ocean. I am also an avid photographer and would love to help you document a trip like this as well as some of your exciting destinations!

I am 25, open, quiet, and laid back. I have sailed in the Sea of Cortez and the Caribbean. I have completed the ASA 101 and 103 courses as well as various PADI certs (including expired rescue diver). I recently graduated in architecture and spent the summer working as Ranger for the National Park Service in Alaska to get out of the office. I would like to get back on (in) the water. I have professional 1st aid and wilderness responder training and am very calm and resourceful, technically and mechanically inclined. I speak spanish and have traveled through most all of central and some of south america previously. No drugs, no tobacco, occaisonal beer... No challenge to great, no chore to dirty. I wish my parents took me on a trip like yours when I was 3! I hope I can be a productive and amiable addition to your voyage. Cheers!

cmilleraz(at)gmail.com
Old 11-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi there,

Our names are Mikey and Bonnie Lang and we want to sail with you!! We are a young married couple (25 and 23 years old) with a great relationship and we love being around people and connecting with others. Mikey has a small amount of sailing expereince (about 30 days total) and Bonnie has almost none but we are both university grads, are very active and outdoorsy (lots of rock climbing, skiing, mountaineering, etc.), and are ready for some more adventure. Bonnie is from San Fransisco and Mike is from Calgary, AB where we have spent the last 6 months while Mike has be undergoing chemotherapy for Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer. He has just recently been given a clean bill of health so we are ready to get out of here and go sailing!! I don't know how much information you want about us... but if you want to know more please look at our blog www.huckithuge.com and take a look at our lives for the past few months. Also we put a video on youtube ). Hope to hear from you soon!!!!

Mikey and Bonnie Lang

ps bonnie plays the bagpipes... how cool is that!?!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Ensign

Hello ,my name is Colin i am 21 and from Vt. I have been looking to get on the ocean wave for a while now. I know that your post has been up for a while and that you have many replies but i thought i would drop a line and see i f you have filled your postions.

I am hitching out to southern cali starting next week with a friend where we are going to part ways. I am in search of a pacific crossing for the winter. I am planning on introducing myself into the sailing community when i get out west in attempt to find a crew postion, if nothing arises by the end of the year i will be heading south to costa rica/ panama to try my luck ther. Just looking for a journey.

I admit that my sailing skills are limited but i have much to offer. I am a quick learner and i get along easily with others.

Please look at my 'about me' page to get a better idea about who i am, or better yet email me at swellchaos@gmail.com . I would love to keep in touch and possibly meet up when i get ou west and see if we could work something out even if only a short leg. Hope all is well, keep that traveling fir burning.

CMP
Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Ensign

Hello to the Livers,

Not the organ, but the archetype. My name is Jon and I, like these others, am intrigued with your voyage. I have been a transiant spirit for over 2 and half years, and consequently I will be free next March! I am young yet still learned in the ways of the world, and it has become my goal to further my sailing life.

I have spent 10 days aboard a 52' gibsea between the Caribbean and Miami where I learned a lot of the basics of sailing. Previously I passed a summer aboard commercial fishing vessel in Alaska and met the challenge of being on a small boat with the same people for a long time under strenuous circumstances. I have traveled through the United States and in South America. I speak French and Spanish. My main skill ies in the knife and the art of cooking, I'm professionaly trained and tried at preparing and cooking healthy, tasty and low resource food.

Fun to be around and good natured, I'd love to accompany ya'll if you havent filled up.

Jon

jonshmon@yahoo.com
Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Ensign

Hello Jenkcos!

I would absolutely love to join your voyage.

I am a 25 year old female who is a graduate student in Boston, MA. I have 6 months off, starting from March 1, 2009 to September 1, 2009, after I finish school and before I start my job. I am easy-going, friendly, clean, and responsible.

What I can offer you:
  1. I am a PADI Divemaster, and will have my instructor's license by March 2009. I have extensive diving experience in Micronesia, South Africa, Patagonia, Australia as well as the Caribbean. I have worked at two dive shops in St. John, USVI, and Jost Van Dyke, BVI. I would be happy to certify you, and take you diving!
  2. I have extensive Red Cross and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons first aid, CPR, and rescue training. All of my certifications are current.
  3. I am an excellent cook, and am happy to serve as chef.
  4. I have previous experience with childcare, and I am happy to nanny. I can provide references if needed!
  5. I have previous sailing experience. I sailed in college, and since then I have sailed in the British Virgin Islands, Boston and San Francisco. I am also certified by U.S. Sailing. If you need, I can get my S.T.C.W. 95 before our voyage.
Please contact me at barabash5(AT)gmail.com soon.

I hope you still have a spot left on the boat, because I would love to be a part of your journey!

Many thanks,

Lidia
Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Ensign

Hello adventurers...

Your anticipated journey sounds amazing!

I am currently in the midst of my own and hope for it to continue. I am a 26 year old Canadian woman and I have just cycled south through the US. I am currently in Austin, TX and plan to spend the winter traveling south through Mexico and love the idea of sailing with you in March. I have always dreamed of traveling overseas without the use of a plane and while my sailing experience is lacking, I believe that for long adventures it's often more important to have personalities that click than skill-sets that are impeccable. Ropes can be learned, attitude cannot.

If you agree with me on this and would like to learn more about me and have me learn more about you, send me and email and we can chat: shero17@hotmail.com

Thanks and all the best.

-Sheri
Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Ensign

Ahoy, My name is Todd and I am currently an Interior Architecture student at the Cleveland Institute of Art in Ohio, USA. I grew up in the Finger Lakes Region of New York, USA., so I have experience and knowledge of some small sailing and motor crafts. I am now 24 and I spent my summers growing up racing smaller sailboats and learning from my father about motorboats because they were his passion. I share the same passion he had for the water and I am always looking forward to those unexpected moments in life like this one. I would be honored to be part of your team in traveling the full length back to Austrailia. I am a great cook and very easy to get along with.

If you are interested in speaking further that would be excellent.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Todd.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #13
Ensign

Hi,

I am currently completing my dive masters in Mexico i am an Australian resident and looking for a way home was meaning to go back to the UK. Not looking forward to that in all honesty would much prefer to let the travelling continue in good company and at a relaxing pace.

Your postion sounds perfect i am here till the 3rd of March at which time i will be going back to the UK if no better offer has arisen . So i have no worries jumping on board when needed and helping you all the way back to Aus or part of the way what ever floats your boat.

Just email me if you keen, cause i know i sure am.

Take it easy

Kal
Old 12-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to gaffrigger

hi jenkcos

we are a couple from denmark/germany and looking for more blue water cruising

im a 30 year old male nurse and have been sailing the last five years permantly , australia/fiji and the last three in the western baltic.

both on traditional gaffrigger.

my girlfriend is crossing the atlantic at the moment we will be on trinidad/tobago shortly and start making our way up through the carribean.she´s a glasblower and of course the most beautiful person. we love to live healthy and enjoying to cook goohd food.

hope we´ll get in touch.

asche and anne
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to waterbarry

Hi jenkcos!!

My name is Brian and I am a 23 year old male currently backpacking through central america (Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama). I would love to meet up with you in Panama for your westward leg in March. I already have plans on being in Panama and walking the docks looking for a passage such as yours!

I am a college graduate (University of San Diego) and bilingual in English and Spanish. I have owned small sunfish and catamarans in the past and have loved to sail for nearly 10 years. My only blue water experience has been aboard a 32´Catalina on weekend excursions out of San Diego. What I lack in experience, I make up for in enthusiasm to learn and live and experience all life has to offer. I am willing to participate in all aspects of crewing (cooking, cleaning, watches etc.) and am drug/smoke/and alcohol free. I have a first aid/CPR certification that is current.

I am an avid photographer traveling with a SLR that will document your trip beautifully. Contributions towards food are not a problem at all. I am an avid surfer, snorkeler, reader, learner and explorer that is looking to share in your awesome experience!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Brian

waterbarry@aol.com
Old 12-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #16
Ensign

Good morning;

Just now found your crew wanted posting and would like to throw my hat into the ring. My qualifications are:
  • 19 years sailing in the Great Lakes. Currently cruise extensively on restored 35' sloop, mostly single handed.
  • Numerous ocean passages including one Pacific crossing as Second Mate, two Pacific crossings as First Mate, a Caribbean delivery as First Mate, and an Atlantic crossing. All passages on yachts over 45'. Reference letter attached.
  • Past "Sailing & Safety at Sea" Instructor for the U.S. Navy Sea Cadets.
  • Excellent watch standing, navigating, sail trim, and yacht management skills.
  • Skilled ships systems and diesel mechanic.
  • Certified in CPR, First Aid, and scuba.
  • Speak Spanish & Polish
  • Extensive world travel in business and sailing
  • Young 53 years old. Excellent health. Non smoker, exercise daily. Photo attached
  • Married (35 years), 2 grown children; son is Naval officer (Lt.Commander); daughter is financial analyst in D.C.
  • Well read, good conversationalist, easy going, & passable cook
For past passages the owners & I have always met first to ensure compatibility. I can travel to meet you wherever you are at the appropriate time.

Best regards,

Al Lankford

1523 Avondale Drive

Green Bay WI 54313

920-265-0941

alankford@new.rr.com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Al.jpg.pdf (33.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf W_Years___Lettera_Lankford.pdf (11.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #17
Ensign

Greetings and Merry Christmas "Jenkcos",

Your proposed passage sounds fasinating. My goal is a circumnavigation and this would fit right in. I would like to be considered for a crew position.

My credentials:

- Until 3 years ago I owned a Hunter Passage 450 - "Mystique II" (my business needed the capital)

- Knowledge of all vessel systems; engine, other mechanical, electrical, plumbing, sail, rigging, coastal navigation (limited bluewater)

- Canadian Yachting Association Advanced Cruising certified

- SCUBA - PADI Advanced Open Water, Nitrox etc.

- Education Director for the Bluewater Cruising Association Calgary Chapter (set up courses for Diesel Engine Maintenance, Electrical Systems and Troubleshooting, Ham Radio)

I am 59, fit and in good health easy going and a capable sailor.

I can join you on or before Panama.

Sincerely,

Beardless

dalbryant@shaw.ca
Attached Thumbnails
Dal___fish_3.jpg  
Old 12-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
Ensign

Ahoy there,

I am interested in participating in your voyage. I just finished a voyage from Santa Cruz, CA to Mahahual, Mexico, near Cancun, and I want to keep cruising. If you're interested, you can see the route here: sailust.com/route/. The boat was a 55' sailing catamaran. As you can see, I've been through the canal, so I can help with that.

To view my sailing experience before this voyage (which pales in comparison), please see seanconaty.com/sailing/. It's mostly day and bay sailing on smaller monohulls.

In addition to my sailing experience, I'm a pretty decent cook and can help with any other cleaning or maintenance chores on the boat.

I'm available for the whole voyage and would prefer to crew for the whole voyage.

Person-wise, I'm male, 26 years old. 6'2" 220lbs. Californian. I've attached a humorous photo of myself.

I realize that this is a short introduction. I just wanted to start a line of communication to see if you're at all interested. I can provide more information later.

Cheers,

Sean

seanconaty@gmail.com
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Ensign

Hello,

We are Chris Celiceo from San Diego and Jenifer Cowles from Georgia. We both have been living and working in Costa Rica the last 10 years. We are both ocean lovers, surfers, swimmers, and spend all our time in and around the ocean. We are fluent in spanish, cpr and first aid certified.

Chris has years of experience on sport fishing boats in both San Diego and Costa Rica. Jenifer has spent 7 days assisting a sailboat charter from Colombia to Panama. We both spent one week together on a Trimeran last year through Christmas. We would like to get some serious sailing under our belts.

We both cook and clean and can stand watch with some instruction.

Jenifer is a professional massage therapist and yoga teacher. I love kids and would be very happy to take on babysitting duties. I have a 4 and 2 year old niece and nephew. I can offer a child intelligent and stimulating companionship.

Chris is mechanically inclined, handy, and a problem solver. Great with fishing equiptment, catching, and repair.

We are both enthusiastic and hard-working.

We would like to be aboard with people who love what they do.

Hope to hear from you.

Chris and Jen

puravida

ondapavones@yahoo.com
Old 01-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #20
Ensign

Hi, If you need more crew let me know. kel_murray@hotmail.com

I have sailed Panama to Galapagos before.

Regards, Kel.

Tags
australia, panama