Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crewfinder Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
Admiral

Is that 175 person/day x 6 = 1050?

2100/6 = 350 per day

Someone is making good money!

What will you learn in those 6 days? Enough to sail off into the wild blue yonder without the instructer?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #22
Ensign

175 person/day x 6 X 2 = 2100 and short answer yes. We will be able to bare boat charter up to a 50ft boat in coastal waters with the certs we are getting. The cost is for the one on two instruction by a certified instructor.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
Ensign

Hi, I would like to know who puts the limits on just food expenses? It would seem fair to me that crew should be willing to share fuel costs, port entry costs and if agreed to marina or mooring costs. I am presently in Ecuador and will be heading to the Galapagos where there is agent fees, $100 per crew park fees, should this be the Captains burden. I just came from Coco's Island where there is a $25 a day boat fee plus $25 per person fee, what about that. I would expect that crew should be willing to contribute to these fees as well as help on daily maintenance. I would not expect for crew to help pay for parts or professional services rendered for repairs. I eagerly await your input. Bob S/V Taisho
Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #24
Admiral

@ taisho

This is not a new debate. It has been discussed at length as you will see if you do a simple search regarding this topic. As to whom it is who puts a limit expenses, the simple answer is the master and the crew. One can only eat a certain amount of food per day. If you choose to eat caviar then it is only fair that you should pay for that however there is a an average of what normal living on board costs.

As far as sharing other costs are concerned, i.e. costs for the vessel's account, it is irrelevant what your opinion on the matter is as it is illegal to do this. Again, if you look at previous posts, you will find that the authorities in the UK and France are already taking yacht owners to task for this.

As for these forums, this issue has been well debated. We do not tolerate advertisements for crew if they are expected to pay for anything above and beyond their keep. The simple answer is that if you do not like this then look for your crew elsewhere. In saying this I am not trying to be rude but pointing put the rules of this forum.

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #25
Ensign

Well Nausikaa, You seem to miss my point. What France and England does could matter less to me as mine is an American boat. As JeanneP stated it acceptable by the US Cost Guard for the crew to share in both FOOD AND FUEL costs. So maybe this forum should get in step with US law.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #26
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisho View Post
Well Nausikaa, You seem to miss my point. What France and England does could matter less to me as mine is an American boat. As JeanneP stated it acceptable by the US Cost Guard for the crew to share in both FOOD AND FUEL costs. So maybe this forum should get in step with US law.
i seriously think you seem to miss the point nausikaa was trying to make while still being politically correct. if you dont like it....leave . we promise not to hold u back.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Why, pray tell, should this forum get in step with US law? *Just because you are a Canadian/mexican/US/etc., etc. (pick another American country to fill in "etc.") does not mean that this forum is American. *And the laws for the various countries in the Americas differ widely anyway, as do the laws of all the other countries represented by the members of this forum.* And joining a boat in Panama for a Pacific crossing has nothing to do with the laws of any of the countries represented on the boat, anyway. *Think. *

So. *Let's start over.

This forum provides a free crewfinder. *For any nationality. *For any flagged vessel, whatever its nationality. *We do not charge crew or skippers to post their "ads". *Why should someone who wishes to make a profit, or perhaps just reduce their own operating costs of a boat, get a free ad to find someone to help subsidize his lifestyle?*

Costs that are specific to the individual people on the boat should be considered acceptable costs. *In other words, just as cinemas charge admission per person, so do some countries/regions, such as Cocos Island. *However, the boat cost is the skipper's. *After all, if the skipper did not have crew with him, he'd have to pay the boat fee or entry fee anyway. *The crew should not be working for free as well as paying to reduce the skipper's costs. *Pure and simple. *I don't think that crew should pay for fuel, or marinas, or Panama Canal charges, because it is a cost that the skipper has to pay whether he's alone or has crew. *And that is my take. *Those expenses that the skipper with his boat would have to pay regardless of being alone or with crew are the skipper's alone. *Those fees that are person-specific should be paid by each person. *

How hard is that to understand?

Next. *If a boat owner does not have insurance, he should not be taking on passengers or crew. *If a boat has insurance, but does not have insurance to cover paying guests (in other words, the boat does not have charter insurance), then regardless of any other regulations, the insurer can, with impunity, refuse to pay a claim if the boat owner has taken on paying guests (if they are paying any amount for their passage, they are guests, not crew). *Try to split hairs with the insurance company. *In the long run, the insurance company probably has a greater say in what can and cannot be done than US (or any other government's) law, particularly on the high seas.

So. *To crew. *Ask to read the skipper's insurance (he should have it on his boat, if he doesn't, don't believe whatever he tells you). *If you are being asked to pay more than your personal expenses, or your share of food, consider that if something happens to you, the skipper's insurance might not cover you. *It might not cover him. *Think of consequences. *And don't be a sucker. *If the skipper can't cruise without help from his crew, then what else can't he afford? *Proper maintenance? *

Why would anyone want to pay to work for somebody else? *

I know, this is rather belligerant for me. *Sorry.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #28
Admiral

Quote:
Well Nausikaa, You seem to miss my point..........
No, I get your point very well. It is not the first time we have heard this point being argued.

Jeanne P has given, in her usual articulate and descriptive manner, the counter arguments so I will not spend time on those but will point out that this is an international forum (i.e. not just orientated to North America) where sailors from all parts of the globe are made welcome irrespective of nationality. As you will understand, we must have some rules for managing the forum. One of our rules is that we do not permit advertising for paying crew. The decision to adopt this rule was not taken lightly and, as previously mentioned, it was preceded by much debate.

This forum exists not to influence peoples' opinion but to exchange knowledge and experiences, so you may go on believing that paying crew is acceptable. That is a prerogative we will not try to deny you but we will not tolerate advertisements for paying crew here. It is a simple as that. That is the rule of the forum. Any further debate on this issue would be superfluous.

Aye

Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #29
Ensign

My, My, My are we not cranky. I have not posted for crew nor will I . I am bringing up points that many of my bluewater brethern agree with. I have been cruising for 35 years and countless miles. Back then you could not get offshore insurance. People realized there was risk as awell as reward to passagemaking. Now I see people setting their itenary by the dictates of their insurance company. Personaly I go offshore to get away from this type of crap. Another thing, I beleive you are bound by the laws of the flag you fly while in international waters. Have a nice life. Fairwinds and fast passages. Taisho over and out
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #30
Admiral

No, not cranky, just tired of repeating the same thing time and again to get people to understand. Let me try to put it simply:

* You are entitled to your opinion

* Many will agree with you

* Many will dissagree with you

* This forum has a rule saying we will not allow ads for paying crew

* How hard is the above to understand?

* If you do not understand this or are not willing to follow our rules the please leave. There are other fora where you will be made welcome.

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 07-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #31
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

This forum has no interest in how cruisers fund their cruising lifestyle. However, if money changes hands with crew (over and above an equal share of food costs and any "per person" entry fees, etc,) then it would be expected that you should pay for advertising for that crew and not use free facilities such as this. Many crewfinders accept this but CL does not wish to condone the practice.

This crewfinder was established to assist genuine cruisers to find genuine crew to assist them on passages - NOT to make money.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #32

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
This forum has no interest in how cruisers fund their cruising lifestyle. However, if money changes hands with crew (over and above an equal share of food costs and any "per person" entry fees, etc,) then it would be expected that you should pay for advertising for that crew and not use free facilities such as this. Many crewfinders accept this but CL does not wish to condone the practice.

This crewfinder was established to assist genuine cruisers to find genuine crew to assist them on passages - NOT to make money.
In addition to the wonderful crewfinder for folks who are looking to crew w/o a fee or get crew for free...Cruiser Log has very nicely also set up a free crewfinder for folks who, for whatever reason (charter boat skippers, etc) are looking for paying jobs. That site is here: http://cruiserlog.ipbfree.com/index.php We don't advertise the site, and it's not used much as of yet, but is there as a resource.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #33
Lieutenant

I like learning the more i read the better i see the picture.... sharks do have 2 legs, where i lived in Plett i educated tourist all the time, be carefull of the ones living on land..
Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #34
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwalker View Post
.... sharks do have 2 legs,..
Almost invariably!

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #35
Ensign

Hello Forum moderators etal,

I have been off site for almost a year, and you are still having the same discussions, and judging by this thread, you are frustrated by having to answer the same questions.

I understand your rules, and understand the issues, what I do not understand is the arbitrary nature of the application of forum rules as the rules are stated. No ads for paying crew, OK fine, This is supposed to be a site for private vessels, not charters or commercial ventures. But yet this site allows for a paid charter boat skipper to advertise for allegedly non paid crew even on his commercial venture, ie, paid delivery of a private yacht, which in some cases is not exactly free to the non paying crew when all is said and done.

I had numerous discussions on this topic with staff and students of several competency certification schools while in Durban, SA. The staff freely admitted they were steering students to this web site, not find a crew or other commercial sites. to hook up with the skipper. The students I spoke to said the reality is that it was not exactly at no cost to them to gain this experience. No plane tickets home, some times they needed to kick in for food, there was no paid time off when ashore, ferry service to and from the boat in St Helelna was not paid, ditto port fees, if they got to the point of departure at the appointed hour and the boat was not ready, they were on their own until it was ready, the litany was long and varied. Now these boats were for the charter boat fleet in the Carib, manufactured in SA with a skipper who was paid to have a competent crew as required by law and insurance for this commercial delivery venture. If this is not a commercial venture, what is it? I really would like to hear your rational on this issue. Surely this is a more difficult legal/insurance situation than a private skipper getting reimbursed for nominal expenses on his own personal craft for recreational crew volunteering to help sail his boat.

As you may remember, I was allowed to post requests, for shared expense crew, for quite some time, until some unidentified individual became vitriolic (perhaps vitriolic posters should be disallowed) about my posts, and as requested, I no longer post such requests on the site. I was and stil am asking reimbursed for food and fuel, at a rate of just at $15US per day, clearly not at the limit of that 60 foot vessel mentioned in the earlier post. This is the only cruising site site that seems to have a problem with this type of funding at that modest a level. Notably, the pay as you go site every one recommends as an alternative crew finder even has as part of its selections for recreational crew to "share expenses". They apparently do not see the legal or insurance issues as being show stoppers that this forum keeps throwing up as validation of the rules.

One final point regarding international rules, the fact that some british agency agrees with your thinking does not make your view an absolute international concept; as one poster noted, there is a diverence of opinion on this amongst different national agencies, the USCG for one.

As an aside, inviting people to leave the forum when there is a disagreement that has been professionaly and politely expressed, is not what internet forums are about. Just as you note in this thread, this is an public and international forum, not a private US forum. If you wish is a place to hold forth on your personal views, without discussion, it would be more properly called a blog. Since it is a public forum, one can expect disagreement on opinions, sometimes that is frustrating to the moderators, but they are there to moderate the discussion, not muzzle it.

I suggest these thoughts not because I think I can sway your opinions regarding paying crew but just to help you understand why some are frustrated with the views of this web site in regard to this specific topic. In general, I would say that the posts I have read by the moderators are reasonably restrained and well expressed. Neverthless I still sense frustration in the moderators posts at having to continuously support their position; I would suggest that that reason is those of us on the outside ooking in find the position to be arbitrary; those with whom I have discussed this issue believe you have expressed your position adequately. Regretably, the execution of the policy just does not match the justifications tendered.

With warm regards, hope you are enjoying Labor Day, and continue to enjoy cruising!

Tom
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #36
Admiral

Hi Tom,

Warm welcome back to CruiserLog and thanks for a marathon post! I hope the past year has been good to you and that you have enjoyed your cruising to the full.

To give you my take on your comments let me first begin with your "aside". Of course you are right. I am sure no one here has anything against people voicing their opinions - that is what a discussion forum is all about. However, we have our basic rules which we want people to follow. It is not a matter of opinion as that can, within the bounds of decency and the law, be freely expressed here.

I will not dwell any longer on the original issue - that has been thrashed about far too long. All we ask is that people do not post for paying crew and, if we are the only forum with that standpoint, then I think we have found our niche.

Of course, there will always be someone who gets through the net. The choice is not to have the crewing boards or to have them with a few basic rules to be followed, accepting that it cannot be absolutely watertight. I, for one, would not like to see the crewing boards disappear. They are here as a service to cruisers and crew seekers but, hand on heart, by their very nature do not generate other than a flitting interest as once a crew member and a boat are "hooked up" they are obviously setting sail and, generally, we do not hear from them again - more is the pity because they could contribute much to the other discussions.

You, I am pleased to see, are one of the exceptions. You are back again. We always like to see old friends return.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 09-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #37
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Hi Tom,

Warm welcome back to CruiserLog and thanks for a marathon post! I hope the past year has been good to you and that you have enjoyed your cruising to the full.

To give you my take on your comments let me first begin with your "aside". Of course you are right. I am sure no one here has anything against people voicing their opinions - that is what a discussion forum is all about. However, we have our basic rules which we want people to follow. It is not a matter of opinion as that can, within the bounds of decency and the law, be freely expressed here.

I will not dwell any longer on the original issue - that has been thrashed about far too long. All we ask is that people do not post for paying crew and, if we are the only forum with that standpoint, then I think we have found our niche.

Of course, there will always be someone who gets through the net. The choice is not to have the crewing boards or to have them with a few basic rules to be followed, accepting that it cannot be absolutely watertight. I, for one, would not like to see the crewing boards disappear. They are here as a service to cruisers and crew seekers but, hand on heart, by their very nature do not generate other than a flitting interest as once a crew member and a boat are "hooked up" they are obviously setting sail and, generally, we do not hear from them again - more is the pity because they could contribute much to the other discussions.

You, I am pleased to see, are one of the exceptions. You are back again. We always like to see old friends return.

Aye // Stephen
Thanks Steve for welcoming me back. Cruising hss been wonderful aside from a transmission that seems to have a mind of its own and an anchor windlass that has been giving fits. I would recommend Madagascar and Suriname as too excellent spots ot visit for those who wish a bit of insight into other cultures, and where there are relativelyfew other cruisers!

On to the topic!

I would like an answer to my question, why allow charter boat delivery guys post looking for crew and deny someone like myself? These are not just a case of one isloated individual, there are many boats being delivered in just this manner to the Carribean. I would like an answer; no one, as best I can tell addressed that specific question.

This of course asks a key issue regarding the core policy or rules established by the forum, so I think it is appropriate for those individuals responsible for formulating and implementing the policy to address the topic, politely and appropriately. If the issue of why delivery skippers has been addressed before, please point me to the relevant thread, then I can judge for myself the consistency of the rationale behind the policy.

Short of that, I do not think the original isssue has been thrashed about far too long, I for one, and apparently others would like to talk about this issue, but what I am hearing from the moderators is that they do not wish to hear discussion about what is clearly an open issue world wide.

When you read the initial threads, it is apparent that the moderators opinion is against the policy of allowing paid crew, it also appears the moderators are against having any further discussion on the topic. Why so, what is wrong with debate? If the discussion does not line up with the moderators opinions, but the discussion is relevant to the topic, is done within reasonable bounds of decency and within the "law", why not have dialogue? I of course can chose not to continue to discuss the topic, so can a moderator, the difference is the moderator must review the posts, just as they do any other posts, to check for decency and appropriatness to the topic. If the opinions offend the moderators personal opinion, they need not comment, only if the post is not appropriate to the topic or is considered personally offensive.

Of course if the moderators are making the policy at hand, they should be able to explain the policy, if that becomes an issue. The moderator should abide by the same rules of discussion that apply to all posters when doing so. Regretably that defense often takes time and effort, lots of time and effort, but you volunteered for the position, I did not!!!

Moderate, but do not mandate, what will or will not be discussed. If a given modertor finds it difficult to answer the policy questions, or if the bulk of posters find a consensus on an issue that is contrary to a set of forum rules, perhaps a review of policy is in order.

Warm Regards

Tom
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #38
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome back Tom. This is really an issue for you isn't it? There is so much other good stuff on the forum to get your teeth into and you are very qualified to contribute constructively on many of the discussions.

Quote:
Notably, the pay as you go site every one recommends as an alternative crew finder even has as part of its selections for recreational crew to "share expenses". They apparently do not see the legal or insurance issues as being show stoppers that this forum keeps throwing up as validation of the rules.
You pays your money and post what you like! Please use those alternatives if they have no restrictions in their operating policy or "unfair" rules such as on CL. The Net is full of choices.

This is the whole issue. We are NOT a specialist crewfinder and let me repeat; the crewfinder was set up on this site to assist genuine cruisers to find extra hands to assist them on longer passages. This is the oldest crewfinder of this type on the Net and it did not take others too long to realise that there was money to be made in this concept. Good luck to them.

You appear to want CL to "reform policy" as you feel that the crewfinder is being run unfairly. Well, unfortunately, the next "policy reform" will be to remove the crewfinders altogether as they have been more trouble than they are worth. They would have been closed down some time ago except for the fact that we get so much positive feedback. Bad, "unfair" examples of CL "policy" do however slip through for which I apologise.

But, this "debate" has gone on for so long (too long now), and the "dead horse" has been revived again now so perhaps you have initiated the need for us to shut down the crewfinder and finally put an end to this aggrivating thorn in our sides once and for all. The administrator and moderators would certainly enjoy and appreciate the break from the horse-whipping on this issue.

CL has the right to set it's own rules and if they have been unfair it was not the intention.

The administration and moderators will discuss how best to pull the crewfinders over the next couple of days so there is no need to discuss your other questions about deliveries, etc. Apologies to those members that have used the CL crewfinder successfully over the many years will come later.

Thank you for your input Tom, it has assisted CL to take a final decision. We all give up freely of our time to ensure that the forums run smoothly and it will certainly be easier on us all without the crewfinders.

Cheers!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #39
Lieutenant

For someone like me entering this world, this is interesting indeed..
Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #40
Ensign

Hello Lighthouse

Regarding my ability to constructively post on many issues, you are correct.

This issue happens to be one of them.

I have tried to express my opinions, and that is all they are, just opinons, based on of a few of my observations and discussion with folks in SA, as clearly and professionaly as I am capable. I get the sense that this has offended you, for that I am truly sorry.

I see no sense in expressing my opinions on other forums where the policies already support my opinions on this issue, but rather it seems to me to make more sense to speak directly to the cruising forum that had a direct impact on my cruising. I responded to the strongly stated opinions of others on this forum, I spoke specifically on topic and supported by my own personal observations, regarding what I believe to be a stated policy that is not consistent to the implementation of that policy. If this offends you, again I say I am truly sorry, but it is what free debate is about. Nevertheless, I am still waiting for an answer on topic.

If the policy makers of this forum, whoever they may be, chose to close down what they believe to be a valuable service to the cruising community, the burden is on those policy makers, not on those individuals that identify a problem. Since this has been an ongoing issue for some years, that fact alone indicates some major issues with the policy. The fact that the forum is considering shutting down this service rather than engaging in healthy dialogue, also suggests an underlying problem. So perhaps it is in the forums best interest to discontinue the service. That would be especially true if the policy makers do not see it as a core service to the cruising community but just a headache.

But again, I am not one of the policy makers, and clearly the decidion to close the service or not is one that belongs with policy makers of this forum.

Warm regards and best wishes going forward, this forum does provide an excellent service, despite our disagreements on this issue.

Tom