Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > General Message Board
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Passage test

Wooooo hoooo - 10nm east of Cairns and we have internet connection

Picked up a Testra 4G internet remote unit last week and this is the first time we've tried it offshore.

Currently doing about 5.5kts closed hauled with 3 reefs in the main, staysail and just sliver of headsail out. 15kts SSE on a 1.5m swell.

Forecast for today is for 20 - 25kts but even though we prepped for a bouncy passage back when we left the outer reefs, we don't think we're going to get that now as things seem to be easing as we get closer to the coast - and we're now too lazy to shake out the reefs or put any more headsail up seeing we've got two lines out the back and hoping for a mackeral for dinner tonight

Mind you a few weeks ago we started the same way heading back all reefed up then as it eased let out more sail only to be caught with some 35kt gusts closer in which shredded our UV strip before we could reef the headsail back in.

Usually I haul in and my first mate eases but we snagged a mackeral at exactly the same time whilst I was also messing about with the windvane and my better half was making toast below - always the way - as a consequence I found myself with a frantic 3kl fish in one hand, the windvane lead between my teeth and the headsail sheet in the other hand. Not the best easing situation I know and we experienced a bit of flogging before we could get things under control.

Everything always happens at once as I'm sure you have all experienced many times

So today we're going to be wimps and play it safe - after all - there is a pot of coffee on the stove and a packet of Tim Tams in the freezer below and we're well overdue for a chockie hit

Fair winds,

AND THERE IS A FISH ON THE LURE BEHIND US wooooo hoooo - must dash!

Mico

Old 08-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I could spend the rest of my life sailing between Cairns and TI. Beautiful area, and dependable, predictable wind. I'm impressed with the connection. Being 4G, are you paying for time via the mobile phone system?

I haven't seen a TimTam in 12 months, but Thai Dueang Hilltribe coffee is truly great. Where's the 'parking spot', Trinity inlet, Yorkey's or the Marlin Marina?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Hey Auzzee,

No - it's an extension of the office setup. Still working it out but I apparently get 2gig per month under a $80 a month plan. Of course - that's what they tell you at the counter before you get home at the end of the month to discover your car, house and pot plants have been repossessed and you're kid's grandkids have to sell their kidneys to pay for downloading an email

Home base is Yorkeys and we'll leave Mico here while we head up to Borneo for a couple of months and start some cruising on Australis. We've had 1800 hits on the sale site for Mico but only one enquiry Not a good time to be selling a yacht in Queensland with the state government midway through sacking 40,000 public servants and getting rid of all contractors and any small business support programs there might be.

Mind you, we're not in any hurry either and with her new sails and wireless autohelm we're enjoying being able to take her up and down the coast when we are not in Malaysia.

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Oh - for those wondering what was at the end of the line - a small mackeral about a metre long which, now we are home, will be going on the barbi tonight
Old 08-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Oh, only a small one. Right.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
Admiral

Big for Sydney.....small for Cairns, undersized in the Northern Territory.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Red face

Big for Sydney.....small for Cairns, undersized in the Northern Territory.

Yep - Auzzee has it right - just on size for here in Cairns but undersized for his neck of the woods.

To be honest - we're a bit crap when it comes to catching fish behind the boat - not sure if we're going too slow, too fast, wrong lure, to much line out of not enough - if it happens it happens. Which is just as well I'm a pretty good spearo so we've always got something to eat otherwise we'd starve

I speared through the Kimberley and across from Darwin to Thursday Is and we ate fish every night but in retrospect - given that's all prime croc country - I was probably a bit silly taking a chance like that with all those bities about. 18 months after we had been in Cairns I did a photo assignment for an international fishing charter company up to TI and we dropped into Mt Adolphus Island for me to shoot some fly fishing.

As we were drifting just off the mangroves and I was lining up the next shot I asked the fishing guide if he ever spearfished in here? He looked at me like I was crazy and said - 'you gotta be joking! - look over there!' Sure enough, sitting in the sun on the bank was a massive saltie croc that was almost as long as our tinney. I didn't have the heart to confess that I had been spearfing right here the year previous totally oblivious. As it turned out - 6 months later a local policeman had his head bitten by that croc while spearfishing in the same spot and it was only through his wife smacking it with their oar that it let him go and he lived to tell the tale.

Ah Australia! - you just gotta love the wildlife
Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

I prefer wildlife that doesn't have me on the menu! gts1544
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

Sounds like your having some fun Shaun
Feeling a bit jealous sitting here planning for Van next year. Or maybe the Ambon rally. Whats your next plan mate.
Might have to talk Annette into a short trip.
Cheers
Rob
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Rear Admiral

]Sounds like your having some fun Shaun
Feeling a bit jealous sitting here planning for Van next year. Or maybe the Ambon rally. Whats your next plan mate.
Might have to talk Annette into a short trip.
Cheers
Rob

Well - have just taken out lifetime membership in Kota Kinabalo so we'll keep the ketch up there for the next few years. Going up for 8 weeks mid September and doing a cruise up to the north west of Borneo and over to the southern islands western Phillipines, loop out into the middle of the South China sea and then back down to Kota again. We'll zip up there every 3 - 4 months or so and who knows - if any jobs come up that way we are more than happy to move there on a more long-term basis.

Back in Oz we have Mico on the market but to be honest - we're not sure if we actually want to sell her. She's got new sails, wireless remote steering and is set up to a point where I cannot think of another thing we can do with her. She's set up for single handed and now she's ready to jump aboard and take off at a moments notice.

We really do love her and its a joy every time we take her out. I hear that from a lot of people in this forum who have gotten their vessels to a point where its sheer enjoyment and a delight to head out on the water.

We'll probably do Lizard Island over Christmas and join the yacht/cruiser community that meet up for Christmas Day in Watson Bay. It's a traditon that's been going for more than 20 years apparently. We came across it by accident when we dropped in there on our way round from Perth to Cairns the day before.

We were sitting on the beach and a couple came up and said - you are of course joining us tomorrow for Christmas lunch?'

That sent us into a mad panic as we had not reprovisioned since Gove and were down to dry biscuits and a mouldy carrot. It didn't matter at all and the following day about 14 couples shared what they had on the beach and spent the afternoon floating around in the shallows drinking wine and eating prawns

We've dropped back twice since for Christmas day and no matter who you are - you are welcomed with open arms. For us - that's what cruising is all about.

So drop us a line and perhaps we could cruise in company some time

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Admiral

Brings back memories. Watson's Bay is a wonderful anchorage. I reprovisioned at both Gove and TI....It's such a wholesome feeling to buy $300 worth of supplies for the bargain price of $500! I really could spend the next 10 years between Shute Harbour and Thursday Island.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

October at Lizard is also pretty cool. Usually a few yachts go up from Port Douglas and Cairns then its party central up there.

I spend a lot of time at Snapper and Low Islands and occasionally sail up to Hope Island and I feel its a really wonderful anchorage, peaceful and enjoyable. I also sail out to the reef , Batt Reef for the most part and spend the night out there, spear fishing and reef fishing. What a life... smiles

If anyone is coming up to Port Douglas you can always get in touch and we might enjoy sundowners at the Yacht Club.

Lexx
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Rear Admiral

"I spend a lot of time at Snapper and Low Islands and occasionally sail up to Hope Island and I feel its a really wonderful anchorage, peaceful and enjoyable"

I think we've raced you a couple of times to the last free mooring in some of those anchorages Lexx

Fair winds

mico
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Mico... anything is possible. I missed out on a mooring more than once as I recall, but I have a good anchor and electric anchor winch so its no big deal for me.

This is the kind of local sailing I am doing for the moment while I prepare my yacht for next April when its off around the top to Darwin and the Kimberly Islands before heading back to Darwin and on to Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

After that ... who knows ...

Lexx
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
Rear Admiral

Now that would be a fantastic trip. We did Perth to Cairns in a 23' sloop and loved the Kimberley area. We'd love to go back and do it again in either Mico or Australis in a bit more comfort! - although it's funny what you get used to - that small sloop did the whole trip in some pretty wild weather - hand steered all the way with us taking turns sleeping with our head in the toilet
Australis has two ensuites with one containing a bath! Gawd - we're going to be ruined comfort wise

Fair winds,

mico